Thread: Reborn "Real Life" Baby dolls

Wink Reborn "Real Life" Baby dolls

Ok... so I know most of us need our own attention as babies... but I was wondering if any of you like to watch babies and play with them and that sort?

Again, I know many of us have our plushies but how many of us have baby dolls.

I recently mentioned I am single... yes and proud of it! But being that I am a woman who is close to being near the end of child bearing days, I would still like to have a baby of my own.

I think this "like" or almost "need" is to love and take care of a baby so they are beyond blessed (I can't think of how to word that right now).

For many years, I worked as an infant caregiver. I loved every minute of it too. In fact, I split my years as a 2 year old teacher and the infant caregiver, so I guess that sums up who I am.

Well, I am not really at a place in my life where I can just care for a baby right now. In a group on yahoo, I am a teacher and a student. My teacher character has just had a baby... so I was looking for pictures of a baby for photos... but I didn't want to exploit a real child and I also didn't want to have some generic clip art.

It was then that I came across Reborn baby dolls. They are very interesting. Here are some examples: So Truly Real Baby Dolls - Page 2

I have been looking at these babies all night long for at least the past 4 hours. Some sites say that they make theirs to be about 6-8 pounds and you can dress them in newborn clothing. They all stress that they are not for children because they are created to be like a real baby.

Anyways, they are a little expensive... and I have to pay a charge on a late fee for a paci I ordered wayyyy back... and I'm getting myself an Ipod Touch 4g for Christmas...

But I really want one!!!!

Have a look and tell me what you think....

crazykittensmile

I actually have a reborn baby doll.

I stumbled upon them on ebay several years ago, and was amazed by how lifelike they were. I found myself looking at them frequently, incredibly some of them sell for way over 1000. Anyway, a situation arose in which having a doll that looked real was going to be paramount to a prank my friends and I were going to play on another. Having wanted one for so long I splashed out and bought one - I couldn't afford one of the higher end ones and spent around 100, including shipping, on mine. It was probably far too much to spend on a doll for a prank, but I have always been the sort of person who is far too spontaneous with money. If I have it I will, generally, spend it without thought.

Anyway, the doll I bought is not the most lifelike doll on the market, but she is realistic enough to fool people (although in the end I never used her for my intended purpose) for a minute or so and she is roughly the weight of a real baby. Holding her is enough to make you feel incredibly broody. My warning though is that buying clothes for the doll might become a bit of an obsession - when i first got her I spent so much money on ebay and in charity shops buying cute little outfits. And all those 2-3 purchases soon add up!

Now all she does is sit in a baby bouncer in my room. I don't really ever pick her up any more, dress her up, buy her anything new or really pay any attention to the fact that I own her - after a few months the novelty kind of wore off. Initially I considered selling her again on ebay, but as silly as it sounds I still feel too attached to her to sell.

If I have it I will, generally, spend it without thought.
    You sound like me with money haha.

Now all she does is sit in a baby bouncer in my room. I don't really ever pick her up any more, dress her up, buy her anything new or really pay any attention to the fact that I own her - after a few months the novelty kind of wore off. Initially I considered selling her again on ebay, but as silly as it sounds I still feel too attached to her to sell.
    Yeah I do worry about that but I think it would be so kewl too... I just don't know if I should. But they are so adorable. But they are very costly. Well thanks for your input!

I've seen these. They're really cool, but if you're creative you can get the parts and make them for yourself.

I ordered some things to make teddy bears with and the company sent me a catalog. They also sold everything you need to make your own reborn doll, the faces, the paints, the glass eyes, the wigs, the cloth bodies...everything.

The only trouble with it is you've -got- to have some sort of painting ability because that's how they get that 'glow' to them...by painting on the interior surfaces of the baby dolls' face. They're slightly translucent, so it allows color to show through to a degree.

I thought about making one for myself since I would be able to customize it, but I didn't because I was sure I wouldn't play with the doll once it was done. I'm much more of a plushie person than a dolly person.