Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FSX still running at 20 FPS!

Default FSX still running at 20 FPS!

I have been playing FSX for a while now and after I got my new parts for my custom gaming computer(specs are listed on this thread: http://www.adisc.org/forum/computers...g-setup-2.html )
    The FPS dropped from my usual 55 running at full sliders all, to around 20 FPS, I have a cap at 75 FPS. but I don't know what might happen if I remove that.
    I also did overclock my processor, but that didn't help.
    My ram is fine and my extra space on the drive is nearly 850 GB, so does anyone know what the hell is going on? Is my computer too epic for FSX? Is FSX just like that? Did I install my drivers wrong? is my SSD holding my OS properly connected? Does FSX just hate me? What is going on?

I looked up your GPU, the Radeon Saphire, and I get several mixed reviews from Newegg. "This graphics card SUCKS!" along with "The single fastest GPU I've ever owned."

So based on that, it's difficult to tell if it's your GPU. That being said...

I then looked at your RAM. Your RAM, like you said, is fine. It shouldn't be the problem, but let's not rule that out.

Next on the list: Your CPU - the Intel. It leaned more towards four and five stars, out of five, based upon customer reviews. I'm going to believe the customers and say the CPU is a great piece of technology, and again, shouldn't be a problem. Let's not rule it out, however, like with your RAM.

FSX came out 2006 (I'm assuming you are talking about: Microsoft Flight Simulator X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The specs are as follows:

1.0 GHz CPU
    256 MB RAM (for Windows XP SP2) or 512 MB RAM (for Windows Vista)
    14 GB hard drive space (15 GB for Deluxe Version)
    DVD drive
    32 MB DirectX 9.0c compatible video card 1024 x 720 screen resolution or higher

Your specs out match the requirements above, which absolutely stumps me..
    I'm not very knowledgeable about this sort of subject, but I do know quite a bit on it.

That being said, I could have messed up along the line, read something wrong, did something wrong, checked something wrong, you know, typical human mistakes or errors!

You said you used to have the FPS at a normal 55, but suddenly it dropped to about 20 FPS, and has not risen since. Could you have changed something with the program, settings possibly?

No clue if the game supports it, but you may have changed it to DirectX 11, if your PC cannot run 11.

Or a driver may be out of date, GPU, CPU, y'know, the basics.

Try a windows update, or visit the website of your hardwares manufacturers and see if there is an available update!

I'm throwing out a random "it could be this.." to see if it sparks any ideas or such, in case you couldn't tell!

Yeah I hate to say it, but it is probably your video card. ATI has always been hit or miss, and their drivers are a travesty, harder to dig out of your system then a virus.

edit: just because it was expensive and the statistics on the hardware are "the best" doesn't make it the best choice.

Try and put in your old video card in your new rig and see if your framerates improve.

Have to agree. I went back to ati drivers 10.3 due to Civilzation 5 crash Most computers and I gain 200 turns and directx 10 fuctions.

Just figured it out during a recent flight. When I bring up the stats about heading altitude speed and what not, the FPS is always shown. I just glanced at it and the cap was set to around 35, not my normal 75-unlimited. So I set it back up and it is running fine now. Just an error when re installing my copy of FSX. I also had set the maximum paging file down below my normal 500 GB to around 4 GB, which also contributed to the bad FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshinori View Post
    I looked up your GPU, the Radeon Saphire, and I get several mixed reviews from Newegg. "This graphics card SUCKS!" along with "The single fastest GPU I've ever owned."

Sapphire is the second best ATI card manufacturer, their drivers are an abomination but its usually no problem for the average user
    Anyways FSX is one of the most poorly optimised games out there, way to go microsoft!, its nothing to do with your settings. I get about the 30 FPS on a much worse system with almost everything maxed out. I would however turn anti aliasing down or even off since that and resolution are the biggest FPS killers. You might also want to download Rex. Its a mod for FSX that adds amazing visuals and makes it run a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleDaniel View Post
    Anyways FSX is one of the most poorly optimised games out there, way to go microsoft!, its nothing to do with your settings. I get about the 30 FPS on a much worse system with almost everything maxed out. I would however turn anti aliasing down or even off since that and resolution are the biggest FPS killers. You might also want to download Rex. Its a mod for FSX that adds amazing visuals and makes it run a bit better.
    o_O I didn't say the second bit...

But you have to remember: FSX was created in 2006. By today's standards, a toaster could run the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshinori View Post
    o_O I didn't say the second bit...

But you have to remember: FSX was created in 2006. By today's standards, a toaster could run the game.

Not really, like i said its very badly optimized. And it relies more on Processing power than graphics. It doesnt run that much better on my GTX 580

FSX did come out in 2006, and any computer nowadays will play it great, but I already fixed the problem. I just hadn't set something right. Oh, and BTW I did get Rex, I got that as soon as it was released.

Quote Originally Posted by JATO457 View Post
    FSX did come out in 2006, and any computer nowadays will play it great, but I already fixed the problem. I just hadn't set something right. Oh, and BTW I did get Rex, I got that as soon as it was released.
    Glad it worked out for you. What didnt you set right? 30 FPS with everything maxed out is great but i wouldnt mind getting more