Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you put on and wear a diaper?

Alecs

Question How do you put on and wear a diaper?

Okay, I've read stuff about wearing diapers but I've never actually worn one. And somewhat surprisingly I've never seen anyone changed in my entire life. I don't know how to prep or what else I need besides the item in question. I have no idea.
    I mean I heard something about baby powder, prevents itching? I just wanna know what to do before I go out and get one. I don't want to get a rash, or worse. Someone please help this newbie out.

The idea is to produce a barrier between your skin and the urine/faeces. Either will be a problem; together they're a recipe for skin irritation, especially if you are wearing a nappy for any length of time. Personally, I spread baby lotion over my rear and crotch, then a good coating of baby powder.

I would start with pull ups. Diapers, well there are rough directions on some of the adult ones, but if not, just lay down on the back, pull the front up over you and fasten the tabs.

I have never used powder, or lotion never had a rash. but i also dont wear for very long once used, about an hour max.

once your done, undo tabs or rip sides, and take off, and dispose of.
    I Would also advise to get a container of baby wipes, or disposable/flushable wipes. After you wet sometimes you want to run a wipe or two around and just clean it off...if you decide to mess, shower after or ALOT ALOT of wipes.

Alecs

Quote Originally Posted by Akastus View Post
    The idea is to produce a barrier between your skin and the urine/faeces. Either will be a problem; together they're a recipe for skin irritation, especially if you are wearing a nappy for any length of time. Personally, I spread baby lotion over my rear and crotch, then a good coating of baby powder.
    Thanks, but I guess I should also note I won't be "using" it. Just wearing it... Okay maybe I little using but just urine. Thanks for some help buddy.

Putting a diaper on is real simple, I don't use rash cream, lotion powder or any of that, I am one not buying it either so I wouldn't know anything about that. I can help with putting the actual thing on, I have only ever used pampers or huggies when using taped ones and I haven't even done that in a while. What I find is just basically unfold everything, sit on the middle part of the diaper roughly, pull the diaper over *ehem* and pull the tapes around pulling out the tapes, try and get it a tight fit, but not too tight, like so that it's secure but it's not digging into your skin or leaving red marks when you take it off. I honestly didn't have a clue how to do it at first as I had only had experience with pullups and only ever put my first tape diaper on after watching my little bro getting changed. It's an 'art' that can be perfected after time, don't worry, eventually after putting in enough diapers youl get the hang of it =]
    hope this helps a bit, if somebody else would like to talk about powder and the other stuff, I haven't got a clue on what to do here

Even a little urine can have a nasty effect if it's in contact with your skin for long enough (it is acidic, after all). If you're going to wear a nappy, why shy at a little baby powder?

Alecs

Quote Originally Posted by Orcaway View Post
    I would start with pull ups. Diapers, well there are rough directions on some of the adult ones, but if not, just lay down on the back, pull the front up over you and fasten the tabs.
    I was actually thinking of pull ups and thought they were a bit the same, at least inside wise. I just decided to say diapers cause more attention would be brought, though I'm still deciding.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyboy135 View Post
    Putting a diaper on is real simple, I don't use rash cream, lotion powder or any of that, I am one not buying it either so I wouldn't know anything about that. I can help with putting the actual thing on, I have only ever used pampers or huggies when using taped ones and I haven't even done that in a while. What I find is just basically unfold everything, sit on the middle part of the diaper roughly, pull the diaper over *ehem* and pull the tapes around pulling out the tapes, try and get it a tight fit, but not too tight, like so that it's secure but it's not digging into your skin or leaving red marks when you take it off. I honestly didn't have a clue how to do it at first as I had only had experience with pullups and only ever put my first tape diaper on after watching my little bro getting changed. It's an 'art' that can be perfected after time, don't worry, eventually after putting in enough diapers youl get the hang of it =]
    hope this helps a bit, if somebody else would like to talk about powder and the other stuff, I haven't got a clue on what to do here
    Ohhh tabs and tape, wasn't really sure what that was. Thank you for putting a bit of a description, I hear laying down is easier and I guess I would have to try it that way. Very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Akastus View Post
    Even a little urine can have a nasty effect if it's in contact with your skin for long enough (it is acidic, after all). If you're going to wear a nappy, why shy at a little baby powder?
    Baby powder I have no problem with, just was wondering if it was needed, in case I couldn't get to some. I guess I'll have to make sure I use it.

Loopygone

This is a short article on how to put on a nappy. Something a lot of us older members scoff at, but also something that can be very tricky for the first time padded explorer.

Stuff you'll need:
    Privacy!
    A disposable nappy of some description (I prefer abena x-pluses my self :P)
    Space to lay out.
    Optional:
    Barrier cream (sudocrem for me, but that's UK only)
    Baby Powder

That's all you need for a fun diapered time . It can be daunting, but don't worry no one gets it right first time. Practice is key, and you can only practice by repetition!

It's pretty simple really (he says with only the confidence of someone who's been wearing for years). First you want to make sure your diaper area is relatively clean, it's okay to put one on after a day of work for example, but not after doing anything causing sweat. It's a plastic back garment that will cause you to sweat, so being nice and clean is always a positive.

Baby powder, and creams are optional. Adult nappy companies suggest using no powder or cream, since they can hinder absorbency. Personally I like a sprinkling of baby powder, I like the smell, and it does reduce chaffing round the leg area. I only use cream if I have any kind of irritation down there, but by that point it's probably best to give wearing a rest for a bit and let your self air out. It's basically up to you, and your preference in this regard.

Actually putting on the nappy is different for everyone, the easiest way is to do it is laying down.
    Unfold the nappy, placing it on a flat surface you can lay on (a bed works, but can be too soft, a floor is perfect :P). If you want to apply baby powder, put a sprinkling in the nappy before hand, this saves getting your hands covered, which can make taping up a pain. Of course, you can always sprinkle it on your diaper area when you lay down, and rub it in, just make sure to wipe your hands afterwards! Don't use too much, otherwise it will turn into a pee/sweat mud mixture! This stops the nappy from absorbing as quickly, which we really don't want.
    Lay down on the nappy, positioning it so it's just right, you want the top of the rear waistband to be just a little bit higher then the front. Before you plonk your bum down, you'll want to make sure that you stretch out the rear wings, sitting down when it's fully taut.
    Make adjustments as you need to, you want the wings to be central on your torso for the best fit. Bring up the front of the nappy, tucking in the front wings round your body, so it's smooth, allowing the rear wings to fold round the front easily and with out obstruction. Then pull up the first rear wing (which side is up to you :X)
    Taping is by preference. What I like to do is tape the bottom most tape on one side first, making sure I get a snug fit. You don't want it to be too tight, or too lose. This takes practice :P. Then tape up the bottom tape on the opposite side, again making sure it's snug. Then tape up the top tape on the side you've just taped, before moving to the last one. Again, make sure it's snug and not to tight around your tummy.
    After this, stand up make sure to run a finger round the leg gathers, untucking any of the outer material that may have gotten folded up. And there you go, all done, you're now proudly diapered, and ready to take on the WORLD! MUHAHAHAHHA!

Of course, this takes practice and practice and practice. Your first try will be a disaster, second, not so much, but before you know it you'll be come a diapering machine :P.

Then comes what to do with that dirty nappy (even if you haven't "used" it, it still absorbs sweat and other nastiness so get rid :X). Pull off the tapes, if it's a double tape system pull off the secondary tapes so you don't rip the nappy.
    Clean your self up, using baby wipes, a wet wash cloth, or preferably a shower (especially if you've messed or wet, and are going back into big peoples clothes) If you use wipes, chuck them into the opened, dirty nappy.
    Fold up the front of the nappy, and roll it towards the rear, tape one side over, the try and roll the whole thing towards the other unfastened wing, taping this up when you reach it. You should end up with a nice tight sausage of a nappy (don't eat it though :O) stick this in a carrier bag, and dispose as you see fit, and no, throwing it at your local politician isn't a good idea.

And there you go. Make sure to keep clean before and after. Pee, sweat, and poop if you're into that, aren't very nice substances. You don't want them sitting on your skin for too long, and when you clean up you want to get rid of all traces. Rashes aren't cool!

Hope this helps. As you get used to it, you'll come up with your own system of changing. Standing up, sitting down, which order you do the tapes, what creams and powder you use, how you deal with disposal, etc. Everyone is slightly different. Just go with what you find easiest, explore the options, find your own path to diapered heaven (ooo very Zen).

Loopy
    Last edited by Loopygone; 15-Jan-2011 at 00:12. Reason: Changed it to the updated aritcal version :P

Alecs

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    It's pretty simple really. *TONS of helpful stuff here*
    Wow, that is really great. I could actually see myself doing the steps. I love getting so much help. ^w^ I didn't even think of clean up or how to "roll up" a diaper. So helpful, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Alecs View Post
    Thanks, but I guess I should also note I won't be "using" it. Just wearing it... Okay maybe I little using but just urine. Thanks for some help buddy.
    Even if you're not planning to do anything in it, it can get awfully sweaty in a short period of time, particularly in plastic-backed diapers. Some cornstarch or talc definitely makes for better comfort.