Thread: 2 Computer Problems

Default 2 Computer Problems

Yes, I have some sort of curse which breaks any technological item that comes within 20 feet of me

Problem 1: My laptop is broken (that's problem 2, bear with me) so at the moment I'm using my mini notebook thing-gummy which uses linux. I really want to go into the IRC but when I connect with mibbet it doesn't load, and I can't for the life of me work Pidgin.

Actually, just had a thought, when I opened firefox it told me nothing would i work because it was too out of date - if I upgrade firefox will that help? How do I upgrade firefox?

Summarise: How to upgrade FF, how to work Pidgin.

Problem 2: MY LAPTOP'S BROKEN
    It turns on fine, and I can do anything offline fine on it, but everytime I connect to the internet it comes up with a box saying it has encountered a critical error and will be shutdown in 1 minute. It only happens when I connect to the internet. I've tried starting in windows safe mode with networking, various system restores, and deleting a ton of programs and suchlike. I've also run a few full virus scans and I'm fairly sure it's not a virus.

When Charlie was up I used his laptop to look at various computing forums and it seems to be a relatively common problem, but none of the solutions I found worked. Anyone got any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    How to upgrade FF
    That should be a simple case of going to Help -> Check for Updates and following the wizard. Not sure what's up if that isn't the case :/

Edit: Oh wait, Linux. It might want to do all software upgrades through its package manager. Um, which distribution of Linux is it running (e.g. Ubuntu, Fedora, uh... what other distros are popular these days? >.<)? See if you can find a "software centre" or "package manager" type program or menu option around somewhere, and get it to search for, and install, updates for your installed software... Different distributions of Linux do things differently, so it's difficult to be precise here without knowing exactly what your netbook is running :/

how to work Pidgin.
    Go to Accounts -> Manage Accounts, then click the "Add" button, select "IRC" in the "Protocol" drop-down, enter "irc.blitzed.org" in the "Server" box, your nick in the "Username" box, and I think that should be it. Hit the "Add" button and it should connect automatically. Then go to Buddies -> Join a Chat to enter a channel, select the IRC account from the drop-down and type "#adisc" into the "room" box.

(I've had to guess at a few bits here, since I don't have IRC set up on this machine's Pidgin install, but it works fine on my laptop, albeit a bit counter-intuitively at times... I was using Pidgin for IRC when I was in Edinburgh last year, so it does work! )

Problem 2: MY LAPTOP'S BROKEN
    It turns on fine, and I can do anything offline fine on it, but everytime I connect to the internet it comes up with a box saying it has encountered a critical error and will be shutdown in 1 minute. It only happens when I connect to the internet. I've tried starting in windows safe mode with networking, various system restores, and deleting a ton of programs and suchlike. I've also run a few full virus scans and I'm fairly sure it's not a virus.

When Charlie was up I used his laptop to look at various computing forums and it seems to be a relatively common problem, but none of the solutions I found worked. Anyone got any ideas?
    That could be any number of issues. There was a Windows XP virus years back that caused that error message to display upon startup, but that's a generic error message that Windows displays when critical system components stop working. It could be a driver issue (though you'll have fun determining which driver is at fault...), but otherwise you might just have to reinstall Windows (you might be able to reinstall it over the top of your current install, thus saving you the trouble of backing up your data and such, or you might be able to get a "repair" to work from the Windows installer CD, but these things never seem to work properly for me ).

I'm not sure what version I'm running, but I have an Eee-PC, so it's whatever comes with that. I'm going to try and work on pidgin/FF

For what it's worth, the Eee uses Xandros Linux, which is listed on its wikipedia page as discontinued, so you may not be able to get an up to date version of Firefox from your package manager. Other than that, Badger has already pretty much said everything I'd recommend.