Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stressful Night

Default Stressful Night

My first shipment of bambinos just arrived last week (I quite like them), so i get home, get diapered up for the night, eat supper, the usual routine.
    After the kids are in bed, i grab the laptop and start doing some updates on my database at work.. Long story short, end up with a corrupted database, load it up in emergency mode, and start a recovery.. (getting to this point took a couple hours).. then start waiting for the recovery to finish
    1 hr..
    2 hr..
    3 hr.. starting to get a little worried at this point, it's 1am..
    4 hr
    5 hr.. hmm. office opens in 4.5 hours, and there is no working database yet..

i change out of my wet diaper, put a fresh one on, and head into work..
    (and i actually put the diaper on for the express purpose of stress relief. i find i am really starting just to plain like the feeling of them, regardless if i use it or not)

Now sitting at my desk, i spend a little more effort and panic, and finally after close to 7 hours, the recovery is finished and i am vastly re-leaved.
    At this point, i head to the washroom for a #2, and notice somewhere along the way, i actually had wet my diaper, but i have no recollection of having done so. This is the first time i can ever remember of looking at my diaper and discovering it was wet...
    Now i realize i probably just didn't think or remember about it from the stress of the situation, but still, kinda a small silver lining..

i have nightly backups. but my backup was day old data. so yes it would work in a pinch to get everything working, but i would have been missing a day.

I wish I could get away with being padded at work...

I have learned, as a systems guy, that I do **nothing** without backups, especially updates. My backups have backups.

Quote Originally Posted by jtall66 View Post
    I wish I could get away with being padded at work...

I have learned, as a systems guy, that I do **nothing** without backups, especially updates. My backups have backups.
    i would normally agree with that, and for the most part live by it...
    i just didn't expect a simple 'delete from table where date < '2009-01-01' ' to have the affect of killing my database...

Quote Originally Posted by aydensboy View Post
    i have nightly backups. but my backup was day old data. so yes it would work in a pinch to get everything working, but i would have been missing a day.
    May I suggest a raid backup? My dad has a raid backup system on his PC and it mirrors the primary hard disk. If you did this for your database then you wouldn't have a day old working database you would just have an hour or so old database that is not corrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyboy135 View Post
    May I suggest a raid backup? My dad has a raid backup system on his PC and it mirrors the primary hard disk. If you did this for your database then you wouldn't have a day old working database you would just have an hour or so old database that is not corrupted.
    a raid backup help in case of hardware failure of the physical drives. does not make a difference here, as both copies of the database are still bad. And the database is on a server, with a raid 10 data array.

Specifying date values as a free form string.. tsk tsk ;p

Nah but seriously that always sucks. I don't work with databases, but I've definitely had that "oh shit.. did I just total the production server" feeling...

Greencat5

Ok it may be redundant but if I Jose a file I have at least 10 backup locations. Well any important file that it.

How big is the DB? I assume it must be at least "large" if the restore took so long. Maybe it's still small enough to be able to periodically and automatically rsync to say, two other copies alternately, so if it takes a dive you can just copy from the last good backup?

For something even of 100 or so gb, that would be very practical. I'm caretaker here of a total of over 20TB of storage and despite a dozen drive failures and numerous nasty corrupting crashes (like what you had) I have yet to lose anything.