So me and my mate have had this happen to us on more than one occasion, especially when we're buying stuffers, baby food, bottles, etc. The clerk almost every time asks us how old our "child" is. More often than not, the question has been met with one of the following responses:
1) *mumbled indiscernible responses*
2) Random age between 6-24 months.
3) "I'm shopping for my mom, actually."
4) "It's actually my sibling's kid."
5) And my personal favorite, "*Mate points at me and I just smile and giggle. A good laugh is had by all and the question is successfully avoided.*
Anyone else had this happen before?