Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hilarious/ Nerve-racking purchase

Default Hilarious/ Nerve-racking purchase

So I went to Target a couple days ago in search of a footed sleeper. I really wasn't that nervous since it shouldn't be a big deal. However, once I got to the register there was an elderly couple in front of me. As I was paying for my stuff I glanced over at the old man and his eyes were going back and forth between the sleeper and me. He looked cross-eyed and astonished. It made me nervous that someone would think this was a weird purchase, but I almost could not hold in a laugh. I just smiled at him, picked up my bag and left as he stared at me.

Anyone else have bizarre interactions while buying AB stuff?

Bah, a footie is not an AB item.. (well it might be an AB item) I think it's a very common and coveted item, and not really associated with AB (outside of these forums).. Both my wife and I have them, and honestly, most of our friends who have seen them want one for themselves. Almost anyone i talk to regarding footed sleepers usually indicates that they either already have one, or would love to get one if they could find... It's actually the rare person who says they DONT want one...

Back to your original question though, i am just a DL, not really an AB, and as such haven't really purchased anything beyond diapers, but i cant say i have ever received any strange looks when buying diapers either..

Wazme, you broke his poor brain!

Maybe he was just surprised they make them for adults. Not everyone realizes they do.

Sleepers aren't really a tb/ab item. They are actually common among older people now, heck one of my old childhood friends who is 21 now has one. They are just comfy and cute to most people, so many think nothing of it.

Good job hurting the old dudes brain btw x3 It's nice when it's not us being confused because we don't understand them =P

I'll bet he was plotting on getting his wife's dusty old bones into one, and then fracturing her hip later on that night.

i think it goes to show that most people have regressive tendencies and the more people that are open about it the more people will see its ok to buy and wear. i dont think its just a touch of nostalgia.....i think its much deeper than that....

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    i'll bet he was plotting on getting his wife's dusty old bones into one, and then fracturing her hip later on that night.
    sexy tiemz

But on the original question, the second time I bought padding, I waited too long to go to the pay line, and when I finally did there were 6 persons before me D:
    I had to stand there for 15 minutes holding a bag of adult diapers XD
    Boy did people looked at me >.<

Let's see... I've had a few.

When I was 16 I decided to venture out and try baby food, so I headed on over to the nearest store and bought some. While waiting in line, I got ALOT of odd stares, mostly because of my age. When I got to the counter, the clerk asked me how old my kid was, and I stupidly responded, "I don't have a kid."... After that it was just an awkward purchase. The pople behind me whispered a bit, so I just ignored it and bolted.

Same year I went to go purchase some depends I could use as stuffers from a Walmart down the way. While standing in line I had casually placed the pack of diapers on my head and held them there. People laughed and chattered behind me about it, but I didn't even bat an eyelash. When I got to the cashier, she jokingly asked if those were for me, to which I responded quite loudly, "Yup. These are for me."... Everyone kind of shut up and stared at me. I kept staring at the cashier, holding my card out, waiting for her to take it. I paid and left after a few snide comments coming from other people in line. Some of their expressions were priceless though. :P

Quote Originally Posted by wazme View Post
    As I was paying for my stuff I glanced over at the old man and his eyes were going back and forth between the sleeper and me. He looked cross-eyed and astonished. It made me nervous that someone would think this was a weird purchase, but I almost could not hold in a laugh. I just smiled at him, picked up my bag and left as he stared at me.?
    Perhaps the stare was his wondering where you found it in the store so he could get one?

But seriously, I actually had a similar experience at Target a few years ago but not as you might expect. The cashier was the one who commented. As she picked up the item and scanned it, she saw the size, looked at me and actually said "I'll bet this will look adorable on you." I promise that am not exaggerating. Needless to say, I was speechless.

I was feeling quite embarrassed at the time anyhow, but when she said that, I probably turned 5 shades of red. I don't remember exactly, but I think I just said, "Thank you" and made the purchase as quickly as I could. There were other people in line behind me, or I might have felt a little more comfortable and responded in a different manner. That was a few years ago and I am not nearly so embarrassed anymore about these kind of things.

Honestly, I think we often are probably a lot more concerned about others thinking about it than we need to be. If you are purchasing diapers, baby food, sleepers, etc, most people aren't going to question or even notice. If you are younger, they will likely just think you might have been sent on an errand for your parents. When purchasing adult diapers at a store now, I try to be as nonchalant as possible. Most people either figure they are for a medical necessity or that I might be purchasing them for a parent.

Having said that, I still recommend being discreet about it at places where those who know you might wonder what's up.

Quote Originally Posted by wazme View Post
    So I went to Target a couple days ago in search of a footed sleeper. I really wasn't that nervous since it shouldn't be a big deal. However, once I got to the register there was an elderly couple in front of me. As I was paying for my stuff I glanced over at the old man and his eyes were going back and forth between the sleeper and me. He looked cross-eyed and astonished. It made me nervous that someone would think this was a weird purchase, but I almost could not hold in a laugh. I just smiled at him, picked up my bag and left as he stared at me.

Anyone else have bizarre interactions while buying AB stuff?
    It's not like it's any goofier looking than a snuggie.