Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Control (Again)

Default Gun Control (Again)

So, in light of the recent politically motivated assassination in Tuscon, AZ, it seems apropos to look into gun control again. The shooter apparently used a high capacity 30-round magazine for his 9mm semi-auto pistol. He killed a 9 year old girl, a federal judge and several others. He wounded a sitting US Congresswoman, and several others. According to opencarry.org, a gun rights pressure group, Arizona requires no permit for concealed carry. All federal laws regarding prohibited persons do apply in Arizona, including those prohibiting the sale of handguns to persons that are not mentally competent (this part may or may not apply to Jared Loughner, reports in the media are incomplete).

So, what's your stance on gun control? How do you think that the laws should change regarding who can purchase firearms, hi-cap mags, etc?

One final note: I understand that this is a hot button issue. Please keep it civil, on topic and CITE YOUR SOURCES! Ad hominem attacks will not be tolerated, and those posts will be reported to the moderators for appropriate action. Also, remember that simple disagreement is NOT an attack, and is not grounds for a negative reputation comment.

Disclaimer: I hold a valid concealed carry permit in the Commonwealth of Virginia, but am not a member of the NRA. I'll be happy to share my views on the subject, but only after a few others get a chance to start the discussion. I don't want to set the tone.

Gun control is, if anything, less relevant now then ever before. Mass shootings (and crime in general) have decreased over the past 10 years, whilst firearms laws have been liberalized.

Politically, gun control is a losing issue. Consistently, the president and party of the majority who passed gun control legislation have suffered massive losses in the next election. The most striking (but not only) example is the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994. Democrats massively lost the congressional election in 1996, partially as a result of that failed piece of legislation.

Constitutionally, gun control is hard to execute. The 2nd Amendment has not only been confirmed to protect an individual right to own arms, it has also been incorporated against the states. The blanket firearms ban in certain cities has been ruled unconstitutional. Any additional gun control would have to be carefully crafted to avoid violating the 2nd Amendment. I'm not sure if anything else we could craft at the federal level could control firearms any more than we already do now without violating the 2nd Amendment.

The gun control laws we have right now work just fine. Sure, I'd like to see some changes made, but they're pretty good. We do have mass shootings occasionally, and they're absolutely terrible, but they are thankfully very rare.

Butterfly Mage

I can't cite sources, since I'm just stating an opinion. In my humble opinion, I'm a fan of the second amendment as the founding fathers intended it to be. In other words, citizens should be able to form armed militias in the event that our nation's borders are invaded and our military falls to an invading enemy. People shoudl have the right to have a firearm to defend their home from an intruder. People should be allowed to hunt the food they eat.

I don't believe that the second amendment implies that assassination is an acceptable recourse in settling political gripes.

Out of curiosity, is this tread specificaly about the second amendement of the US constitution (and thus gun control from an US perspective) or about gun control in general?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this is going to turn into an argument so I'll post some political humor instead:

this is all I have to say, thank you, and I hope you enjoyed

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    Out of curiosity, is this tread specificaly about the second amendement of the US constitution (and thus gun control from an US perspective) or about gun control in general?
    I was thinking of gun control from an American perspective, in light of the assassination in Tuscon. But feel free to talk about gun control from whatever perspective you come from.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    I can't cite sources, since I'm just stating an opinion. In my humble opinion, I'm a fan of the second amendment as the founding fathers intended it to be. In other words, citizens should be able to form armed militias in the event that our nation's borders are invaded and our military falls to an invading enemy. People shoudl have the right to have a firearm to defend their home from an intruder. People should be allowed to hunt the food they eat.

I don't believe that the second amendment implies that assassination is an acceptable recourse in settling political gripes.
    No one is suggesting that the Second Amendment is an open invitation to settle differences with gunfire. That having been said, I think the Founding Fathers were very much concerned with a central government acquiring too much power and becoming tyrannical. It that an anachronism? Yes, I think so. However, the Second Amendment does leave the issues of personal ownership rather vague. If that's by design or not, I couldn't say. I think that like most of the Constitution, it was left vague in the assumption that it could grow with us as a society, and it's meaning could and should change over time. Now, I find the assertion that people need automatic weapons in this day and age to protect themselves from a tyrannical government to be personally insulting. Who'd enforce the illegal orders? The military? Not hardly.

As far as my thoughts on gun control, I think the for the most part, the laws we have on the books are sufficient. I'd rather that AZ, VT and AK have more stringent CCW laws, but that's another matter. I think this, and many other examples of mass shootings are more attributable to out failed mental health system. Jared Loughner was a sick individual, if reports are to be believed. Thus, he should never have been able to buy a gun in the first place. He should have been receiving treatment, not been allowed to sit at home and brood over right-wing conspiracy fantasies.

As it happens, I read a good article on the BBC News site today looking at gun control in the US from more of an outsider's perspective. I'd highly recommend giving it a read if you're interested in the subject;

BBC News - Why America's gun laws won't change

AmbezeSubHealth

The 2nd amendment would be a strange addition to the Bill Of Rights if it was added in order to protect the government from the people or to protect the people from each other. I believe the second amendment like the other 9 amendments in the Bill Of Rights was enacted in order to protect the people from their government.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisb View Post
    As it happens, I read a good article on the BBC News site today looking at gun control in the US from more of an outsider's perspective. I'd highly recommend giving it a read if you're interested in the subject;

BBC News - Why America's gun laws won't change
    That is an interesting article (although I don't trust their poll numbers), and not that badly slanted. It has the usual foaming mouth frenzy over"High Powered" and "Assault" weapons, but coming from an European news agency, its not so so bad.

This however:

That bill expired in 2004 but, had it still been in place, it is unlikely the Arizona gunman would have been able to walk into a sports store and purchase the high capacity magazine he used on Saturday.
    Is rather disingenuous. He wouldn't have purchased it in a sporting goods store, he would have purchased it at a gun show or off the internet.

Personally, my only real problem with the laws are when open carry is allow, or when there is no CCW permit. As for the mental thing, I don't think it would of applied (from current reports) as it seems he never went under any evaluations, so while people could tell he was unstable, there was no actual documentation of it.