Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paying for brand name?

Default Paying for brand name?

So I've been looking at my baby powder and noticed that is was made by Johnson and Johnson same with my baby wash, I got the store brand because the price difference is insane usually double the price for the name brand. Why the hell is it so expensive? I'm assuming it's the same thing rather made the same way.

The thing with brands, is that the well known, more expensive brands usually are of a higher quality. Some people find cheaper brands, for example in baby powder, could cause irritation to the skin, where as J & J might not because of the differences. So, the mindset is that you pay extra, for better quality. Some things it's true, some things it's not, I only use J & J powder so I can't say.

Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    The thing with brands, is that the well known, more expensive brands usually are of a higher quality. Some people find cheaper brands, for example in baby powder, could cause irritation to the skin, where as J & J might not because of the differences. So, the mindset is that you pay extra, for better quality. Some things it's true, some things it's not, I only use J & J powder so I can't say.
    Yeah but it literally says it's made by j&j. So I'm like wth? on top of that I compared both powders and it's pretty much the same thing.

There are definitively many products across the entire spectrum of consumer products wherein there isn't really any intrinsic difference between the brand name and generic version (e.g.commodities prescription drugs, paper, fresh produce). There are differences, however, whenever the item has some kind of distinctive qualities (e.g. sodas, mixtures of food or chemicals). The general assumption is that the brand name is, because of some amount of effort spent testing or improving the product, it claims to offer value beyond what it could be sold for as a generic commodity item.

Generally, people have their specific products where they find the qualities of the name-brand make it worth the extra money. Ketchup is one that I've heard frequently. Most people prefer name-brand drinks. In any case, the underlying commodity is basically identical, and for most products, people don't tend to find the alleged extra qualities worth the extra cost.

As for baby powder, I would assume that the brand-name and generic mixtures are pretty much identical, though I recall previous postings about how J&J's distinctive smell is a deciding factor.

That thing, is that most off brand products are generally now made by the top brand name companies. They market under two different labels, with one being cheaper, so the product seems worse in comparison to the regular brand names a customer is used to. The product itself has minimal changes, if any, yet to the consumer, one can make a comparison, and most people are taken into paying extra because they believe they get a higher quality. It's a standard marketing technique honestly.

Adertising and marketing costs are part of it. Not only do those costs increase the price but they can convince people that the product is worth spending more on.
    If you want a great example of just adertising and marketing costs compare the price of Goodnites to the price of store brand adult pull ups. Where I live the adult pull ups which probably have twice the material as Goodnites are 10-25 cents more per unit depending on the day. Same goes for Depends at the drugstore vs superior diapers from the medical supply store, most of the time they cost about the same. But Depends has to put millions into advertising and getting the shelf space where as the other brands are usually requested by customers and held in the back room till they are bought.

i have never noticed a difference between j and j powder but i have in the baby lotion.....same with desitin diaper rash cream vs off brands...the smell is different.....

Quote Originally Posted by waslost1234abc View Post
    i have never noticed a difference between j and j powder but i have in the baby lotion.....same with desitin diaper rash cream vs off brands...the smell is different.....
    Maybe it's all in your head because honestly I don't find a difference in the smell.....

I highly doubt that there is a significant difference between the quality of premium and generic baby powder. It's cornstarch for goodness sake -- you really can't botch that up. There are times when generic/premium makes a big difference, but I don't think this is one of them. The reason why J&J is more expensive is because it's J&J, and they know that parents will pay more for a brand they trust.

Are you sure you're reading the package correctly when you say that the generic is made by J&J? Most generics will have a disclaimer that they are *not* made by some premium brand or other that their packaging might imitate. Case in point: Cottontails (Stop and Shop store brand) baby oil reads:
    Compare to Johnson's Baby Oil*

*This product is not manufactured or distributed by Johnson&Johnson Consumer Products Company.

Some stuff it doesn't matter, like frozen peas... some stuff has a patented recipe like coke or pepsi, neither taste like the store brands and people get militant about which they like better and are therefore 'The Best'. I like the store brands myself.

I've found very few things that truely are premium by buying name brands... macaroni and cheese are one - the store brands just aren't rich enough. Diapers are another... Depends are good for what they are but they don't compare to an abeana or unique wellness.

I'll usually try a generic once before I decide.