Thread: Limbo of the Lost

Default Limbo of the Lost

Wow, The more and more I read into this, the more I realise the "Development team" behind this game are in *so* much legal problems it's not even funny. The entire game, which has been actually distributed and sold, Has plaigarised nearly ever single thing from other games.

And I'm not talking copied, I mean directly ripped and put in.

Updated list of things they stole so far:

-Oblivion: Backdrops
    -Diablo 2: Item Icons,Menu Borders
    -Black and white 2:Cursors
    -Baldurs Gate 2: Item Icons
    -Vampire the Masquerade: Backdrops
    -Painkiller: BackDrops
    -World of Warcraft: Menu Screens
    -Unreal 2003/2004:Backdrops
    -Unreal:More Backdrops
    -Rune : Audio,Voice acting, Dialogue, Writing
    -Thief: Dialogue, Voice Acting
    -Thief 3: Backdrops
    -Lord of the Ring sthe Battle For middle earth: Fonts, Menus, Borders
    -Hexen: Music
    -Crysis: FMV (They use the Famous Island Flyby in a couple spots)
    -Silent Hill: Backdrops, Dialogue, Voice Acting
    -Morrowind:Items, Backdrops

-Spawn: Video with Audio
    -Master and COmmander: Video but audio is replaced
    -Pirates of the Carribean: Video but audio is replaced
    -Legend: VERY clear cut conceptual design theft
    -Conan (Highly propable but no DEFINITIVE proof yet)

-WETA Bust of the Wring Wraith From LOTR: USed 4 times in a single backdrop
    -Andrew Loyd Webers "Phantom of the opera": Dialogue (YES THE FRICKING MUSICAL)
    -Poser Animation Software :Animations (This is technically legal, but using the free to distro poser anim cycles is one of the seven deadly sins of game development)

Thats a grand total of 23 confirmed Distinct products out of a suspected 25, and people are STILL finding ALOT of stuff.
    Look at the complete ripoff.

Limbo of the Lost.

The company Tri Synergy (their publishers) released a statement saying that it was "shocked" by recent screenshot comparisons and that the game would no long be sold in retail stores or online. Accusations were also made that the game borrowed heavily from Diablo II, Unreal Tournament 2004 and Painkiller.

"Tri Synergy is just as shocked as everyone else is by the recent screenshot comparisons. At no point during our dealings with Majestic Studios up until the point that the comparison was first publicly made by a third party did we have any knowledge of these similarities," the company said in its statement.

"Additionally, Tri Synergy will discontinue distribution of Limbo of the Lost in both retail and online outlets. We have contacted the developer, Majestic, and are anxiously awaiting their response. As soon as we know more on this matter we will issue another statement."

Turns out this guy Steve Bovis (lead designer)stretched the truth when he talked about remaking the game for PC out of code he developed a decade earlier... He doesn't know HOW to code!

Bovis used a recently-released free indie game software called "Wintermute" for the entire game. It's a great program that allows you to design complex adventure games with basic coding knowledge. The thing is, Steve Bovis has about twenty long threads on the Wintermute forums asking help for EVERYTHING! Animation, NPC interaction, video files, applying fonts, even how to get the cursor to change. If you read between the lines, you see Steve may have been subtley asking the Wintermute community to send him the exact scripts he needed, and in most cases he got them. Which means that Limbo of the Lost was programmed quite a bit by members of the Wintermute community, yet credit for the game only went to three people.
    Scandalous! I'll be keeping a look at this, since I want to know if the game designers have ran off to spain, since I'd bet a *whole* lot of gaming companies will sue for theft of intellectual property.

Didn't see the details. That guy is so hilarious, thinking he could get away with that...

This is really funny. And that guy is an idiot. I can't believe he's actually trying to get away with that.

Doesn't know how to code?!?!

Wow! I think he's wanting to be sued and I would really love to see how much he would have to pay up if he did.

Part of an interview I found on the interwebs.

Gordon: So have any more recent games influenced your current project?

Steve: The project is more influenced by film and literature rather than other games, we want the experience to be as original as possible and as such we have made a calculated effort to keep away from other games in the genre. Limbo of the Lost is an experience first and foremost, secondly wrapped up in a game media and genre.

Gordon: I can see Limbo of the Lost has been through some tough times, what has sustained your enthusiasm?

Steve: I would say the story and game concept, the original characters and the passion for creating an experience that can be shared and enjoyed. Throughout the years two things have sustained in the light of ever changing technology, the team's dedication to the project and the game concept.

(Edit: They also have a character called "Cranny Faggot". Sad, isn't it?)

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreMickal View Post
    Doesn't know how to code?!?!

Wow! I think he's wanting to be sued and I would really love to see how much he would have to pay up if he did.
    Shoot. Blizzard alone is going to have enough of a fun time skinning and flaying him, I don't think they'll be enough left of him to pay.