Thread: CO of USS Enterprise fired over stupidity

Default CO of USS Enterprise fired over stupidity

Okay, I picked this story up at 365gay.com and at the Navy Times as well. It s a real shame that the CO got fired over this. I have a series of problems with it mostly because someone got all bent out of shape of a really funny video, but more importantly, they went outside of the chain of command to deal with it.

If you actually watch the video and know something about military life, you'll likely have a different perspective on this. dcviper, I hope you'll see this and comment as well. Actually watch the video, and I'd like to hear what people have to say.
    Enterprise probe will cover higher-ups - Navy News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Navy Times

I dunno, from the clips I've seen (haven't watched the video you posted yet) it just seemed like they were screwing around and being funny more than anything. The trouble is that the video(s) spread further than was probably intended to and someone got their panties in a twist.

And someone on the news was shocked about the hazing of new people when the ships crossed the equator. Seriously newscasters, learn some history. :P I honestly thought that everyone knew about that...I mean it's been going on for a very long time. My thoughts on it is that if no one was hurt, or at least not seriously, a bump or bruise here or there isn't the worst thing that could happen on a ship, then just let it be.
    Last edited by CuddleWoozle; 07-Jan-2011 at 12:38. Reason: (parenthesis...they're holding me hostage...)

I about died when the two female shipmates were in the shower with a cardboard cutout of the XO. I refuse to talk to anyone who wasn't there or wasn't in the service about the things that happened when I was posted to that ship. It was the best experience of my life.

I wasn't really offended. To see a senior officer do that in the name of morale was heartening. I don't know how they did it in the Navy, but no senior officers (or even junior officers, for that matter) would be caught dead doing that.

angelabauer

Quote Originally Posted by Locutus2k View Post
    I about died when the two female shipmates were in the shower with a cardboard cutout of the XO. I refuse to talk to anyone who wasn't there or wasn't in the service about the things that happened when I was posted to that ship. It was the best experience of my life.
    Loctus2k, thank you for your dedicated service to our country. Were you serving on the USS Enterprise in 2006 and 2007?

Who can tell what actually happened with the former CO. Currently he is assigned shore duty after the news of the videos surfaced, during the various investigations, which also focus on several flag-rank officers.

2006 was 15 years after Tailhook. The CO was an Academy graduate who also graduated from Top Gun. He should have learned all about UCMJ, especially in the wake of Tailhook "Conduct Unbecoming an Officer" (CUBO).

As for "going outside the chain of command" apparently some of the USS Enterprise crew did file complaints at the time. Remember your own classes about UCMJ? "It is the duty of every member of the service to report misconduct and violations of UCMJ"?

The current Navy top brass have issued a statement that in 2006 those videos were contrary to policy. Times change.

Oh, yes, my husband entered USMC OCS in January 1955 and retired as a Lt Col in January 1985, over 6 years before I met him. During his career he saw generations of change in the UCMJ.

Quote Originally Posted by angelabauer View Post
    Loctus2k, thank you for your dedicated service to our country. Were you serving on the USS Enterprise in 2006 and 2007?

Who can tell what actually happened with the former CO. Currently he is assigned shore duty after the news of the videos surfaced, during the various investigations, which also focus on several flag-rank officers.

2006 was 15 years after Tailhook. The CO was an Academy graduate who also graduated from Top Gun. He should have learned all about UCMJ, especially in the wake of Tailhook "Conduct Unbecoming an Officer" (CUBO).

As for "going outside the chain of command" apparently some of the USS Enterprise crew did file complaints at the time. Remember your own classes about UCMJ? "It is the duty of every member of the service to report misconduct and violations of UCMJ"?

The current Navy top brass have issued a statement that in 2006 those videos were contrary to policy. Times change.

Oh, yes, my husband entered USMC OCS in January 1955 and retired as a Lt Col in January 1985, over 6 years before I met him. During his career he saw generations of change in the UCMJ.
    I left the Enterprise by 2004, and am very proud to be part of her wonderful history. While aboard, I saw things like this if not in video, in very descriptive text. I don't really see a problem with video, in fact I found it funny. Obviously there are going to be people who have never served who will take this at face value, and thats a shame.

When CVN-65 is decommissioned, I plan on attending the ceremony. It is a great ship, and I hope this misunderstanding will not soil her reputation. The officers I served under were nearly all great people, and I was honored to serve with them. We had a great crew, and I am very defensive of anything that mentions her.

The media can spin virtually any piece of text or video into something that seems outrageous and awful.

I didn't see anything offensive. An aircraft carrier is its own community, where 5000 or so people have to live in close quarters 24/7. Why don't we put video cameras in every single space and see what shows up, as well in the homes, bedrooms, cars and offices of a few of the reporters making noise. We'll see plenty of odd and possibly offensive behavior, just like you would if you had video of me, you, or any member of this forum. At the very least, you'd come up with 5 or 10000 instances of masturbation, and an equal number of racist, sexist, and/or nominally obscene comments. Lets put some of that on the TV news. Split screen, with reporters on one side, military on the other.