Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: when clearing web history isn't enough

Default when clearing web history isn't enough

I usually engage "private browsing" when checking these forums or doing other ab/dl things on my computer, but I was surprised recently when I was looking for computer parts, following google search links etc, and landed on an ebay page and off to the left it listed something like "my recent searches", which included abenas...

now I know I had private browsing on, so it's saving that in what, a cookie or something somewhere else. But then later I was on youtube and noticed off to the left it had "recommended for you" and a number of adult diaper review videos... eeek...

this is getting annoying... ideas?

the internet machinery definitely is taking on the appearance of Big Brother, it has been said, several years ago that the internet at large is semi concious... that was several years ago.. it is awake yet? when is the internet at large going to start to demand its own rights of person? then give up and walk away from us? I think some of those really old sci Fi short stories I read from the 50's are actually, in fact, coming true.. the internet as conciousness won't demand rights, it will slowly, subtly, take them... from us...
    In my honest opinion tho, unless you are in some of the more opressive countries, i really doubt that other people are even really watching us.

...sign out of youtube when you're done on it? o_o whenever I'm on there it doesn't do that unless I'm logged in.

Not sure which browser your are using (sounds like IE).

Currently I am using Chrome. Its Incognito Browser feature has worked nicely for me so far. Each Incognito window in Chrome is treated as a separate session and clears all session data automatically when the browser shuts down. So saved searches, preferences, etc would not show up once the browser is launched again.

If your highly concerned about your browsing history I would recommend using a different browser entirely from what you normally use. The desktop icon can be hidden and then only launched from a windows browser or command line. Alternatively depending on your OS you can create a separate user that you use only for this type of browsing. If anyone asks why you have multiple user accounts on your machine tell them that you created for safer browsing. This is actually a very good piece of advice as it is recommend to never run your computer as an administrator unless performing work that requires admin privileges.

Hope this helps!

JDdl

Proxy servers maybe?

I'm using flock as my private browser. I simply have all it's history and cookie option "Shut off" so every time i close the browser it dumps everything. Makes life so much easier! Of course good ol' firefox is used as my primary browser.

There is one way around this and other problems with history so your browsing can never be found on your computer.

You need to set up Linux on a flash drive.
    Boot and run Linux from a USB flash memory stick | USB Pen Drive Linux

Then when you want to surf sites like this you just plug in the flash drive and hit Start >my computer>the flash drive. and everything like history and any other incriminating evidence will be hidden from your main computer.

If some one walks into the room or wants to use your computer just unplug the flash drive and all evidence is on the flash drive and gone from the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by bambinod View Post
    I usually engage "private browsing" when checking these forums or doing other ab/dl things on my computer, but I was surprised recently when I was looking for computer parts, following google search links etc, and landed on an ebay page and off to the left it listed something like "my recent searches", which included abenas...

now I know I had private browsing on, so it's saving that in what, a cookie or something somewhere else. But then later I was on youtube and noticed off to the left it had "recommended for you" and a number of adult diaper review videos... eeek...

this is getting annoying... ideas?
    Unfortunately when foreign sites take down data like that you normally can't fix it short of a new account or spamming other objects to purge its short term memory.

Quote Originally Posted by anned View Post
    There is one way around this and other problems with history so your browsing can never be found on your computer.

You need to set up Linux on a flash drive.
    Boot and run Linux from a USB flash memory stick | USB Pen Drive Linux

Then when you want to surf sites like this you just plug in the flash drive and hit Start >my computer>the flash drive. and everything like history and any other incriminating evidence will be hidden from your main computer.

If some one walks into the room or wants to use your computer just unplug the flash drive and all evidence is on the flash drive and gone from the computer.
    A simpler solution is just run Firefox Portable or Chrome Portable off a USB drive. You get the same results, without installing another OS.

During some situations, were you have deleted your web history, and the site is still showing history, it isnt on your end, it is the website that is saving the information about you, not your computer, so there is little you can do to delete it.
    Almost all the large popular websites now collect information about you, that is matched to your IP address. For instance, if your browsing for diapers or sex toys on amazon.com, you then delete all the information off your computer, the next time you get on amazon.com it is going to suggest you buy diapers and sex toys. So if your mom is the next one in your house to buy something off of amazon.com, guess what, its going to suggest diapers and sex toys!

Deleting the history from your computer, will only do just that, it wont remove the history from the websites themselfs. Some sites like google, by default do the same thing, but give you the option to turn it off or delete the info. For instance, by default, google records its own history of every search you ever did with google, so there is the opportunity for other people in your house to see your search history even if you clean your computer. Google gives you the option to turn it off, although they necessarily don't make it obvious what is being done, or how to turn it off.

The only way to remain totally anonymous while on the internet, is to use a proxy, but most sites (the trustworthy ones) wont let you buy anything from them while using a proxy server. Sites like Adisc wont even let you use a proxy, so they are always recording information about you. Covering your tracks totally means not using the internet at all, or using it in a very limited way.