Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A M. Night Shyamalan movie that doesn't suck?

Default A M. Night Shyamalan movie that doesn't suck?

Let's cut to the chase here. The only M. Night movies that were any good are "Sixth Sense", "Unbreakable", and "Signs". Yes I liked Signs, get over it. The only thing I didn't like about Signs was the heavy tones on religion but I understand he has a thing for religion in his movies.

Now the movies that sucked? "Lady in the Water", "The Village", and the number one sucky movie in my opinion of his would be "The Happening". God I hated that movie.

Enter the newest film "Devil". The premise alone sounded interesting but at the same time it made me think, how you can possibly make a entertaining movie out of this? A very quick movie plot is a group of people get trapped in a elevator together and one of them is the devil. Yeah, that's it. I'm kinda into movies dealing with dark tones though so I figured what the hell (yay puns!), why not?

For a movie that is only 1hr 20m long. WOW! It's like watching the movie Phone Booth only with a demonic twist. I won't give away anything but I actually recommend this movie but the unfortunate thing it's one of those movies where you can only enjoy it once. Still though, it's about time M. Night redemed himself.

I liked The Happening...

But The Village. Someone's God, that was terrible and a waste of time. Sweet Gawd..

I only watched The Village recently and after the the wailing and gnashing of teeth I had heard about it, I was very pleasantly surprised. I spotted the twist coming but that didn't ruin it for me. I wonder if the problem was more based on how it was promoted? I recall a very monster movie vibe from the commercials rather than a period drama with a Twilight Zone spin.

Anyway, this movie, although not directed by Shyamalan was on my longer list to see at some point, so I'll kick it up a bit higher.

I appreciated The Village, but that probably had more to do with how I felt about my country's president at the time than anything else. Anybody who knows the twist will understand exactly what I mean by that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I only watched The Village recently and after the the wailing and gnashing of teeth I had heard about it, I was very pleasantly surprised. I spotted the twist coming but that didn't ruin it for me. I wonder if the problem was more based on how it was promoted? I recall a very monster movie vibe from the commercials rather than a period drama with a Twilight Zone spin.

Anyway, this movie, although not directed by Shyamalan was on my longer list to see at some point, so I'll kick it up a bit higher.
    It was dumb of me to assume he directed it but after further investigation you are correct Sir. He did write it though. I just saw his name all over the film so I figured he was once again the director. Kick it up a notch for sure though especially before someone spoils it for you.

Apparently 'Devil' is from his new production company. I had heard when it was being released that it was the first of three films that he co-wrote / produced which will be released by his company. Supposedly they will all have a loose relationship to each other. Not necessarily sequels, just stories that take place in the same universe.

I just watched Devil last night. It was pretty good in the sense that it was a bit creepy. A bit ho-hum in my opinion what with the whole "if the devil exists so does god" thing. That and the need to tie in the last guy with his observer.

But, again, it was reasonably creepy, so I have to give it kudos for that. I don't get creeped out by much. But then I'm a bit weird... I thought Pandorum was great. I loved the "where are the stars?" scene. Most people I've talked to didn't care for that movie.

I love M. Night Shama-lama-ding-dongs movies. I am not being sarcastic either. I don't think he's done anything bad. The village was awesome, and the happening was freaking hillarious. I don't count Devil as his, but it was good as well, although I called everything from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by WingDog View Post
    I love M. Night Shama-lama-ding-dongs movies. I am not being sarcastic either. I don't think he's done anything bad. The village was awesome, and the happening was freaking hillarious. I don't count Devil as his, but it was good as well, although I called everything from the start.
    The Village was ok, despite the twist being entirely obvious.

I was actually surprised by Signs, because... he actually went with aliens. I was expecting some bizarre "twist" like "Woohhh... duuuude... what if like... the main characters in the movie are from an isolated section of the world and it's like really thousands of years in the future and the aliens are really evolved humans from the future (present) woooooohhhhhh /bonghit"

Then he actually whips out aliens. I was the only one of my friends surprised by that.

The Happening... I don't see how anyone could like that unless they were intoxicated and thought it was funny. As as serious movie, it was a failure IMO. Mark Wahburg's character's crazy nostril flaring looks and the inane dialogue... oi. Actually dialogue in general is a weak point for him IMO. I'm mildly curious about how he'd sound in a conversation now.

Had a roommate who claimed that he would determine whether or not he would stay with a girl long-term based on what she thought of Lady in the Water. I figured because he thought it sucked, but he said that if you couldn't enjoy the movie then your imagination was dead. I've never seen it cause I'm scared I won't enjoy it now.

Sixth Sense was really cool, and had some solid acting. Unbreakable was fantastic, and while I think everyone was expecting a "Sixth Sense 2", it was totally different. One of my favourite super hero movies. Shyamalan did some really cool things with themese and colours and all that stuff in those movies. He approached their respective genres in unique ways, and there were some interesting and well acted characters too. I haven't seen Signs since theatres, and while I didn't enjoy it at the time, I don't think I was old enough to have a really solid opinion. I did like the Village a lot, again because of the cool direction, different story and acting. The Happening had a terrible plot and script, and I haven't seen Lady in the Water, The Last Airbender or Devil yet. Most of his movies this side of Signs seem to tank with the critics, and I guess I haven't seen enough to form a solid opinion, but I think that the guy could beneift a lot from a working with some better writers or something. His movies generally look interesting. I don't know a whole lot about direction, but when I notice that that sort of stuff is different, unique and adds to the movie and isn't distracting or anything, I figure that's a good thing. He has some pretty sweet ideas for stories, original concepts and all, but something is getting lost in translation. Maybe if he worked with some good screenwriters the quality of his films would improve. I dunno. He directs, writes, maybe even co-produces. The guy has total creative control, but if the final product isn't making money and people don't like it, maybe the studio should encourage him to get some outside help.

Whatever. At least his stuff is generally different. Better than most of that mind-numbing junk and money-sucking sequels and shamless remakes and adaptions and what not.