Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PS3 Blueray player blues

Default PS3 Blueray player blues

So lately ive been bored with my 360, so I was thinking about getting a PS3 to widen my horizons of gaming the only problem is the price....it is so outrageous....xbox 360 is what 200$ right now and a PS3 can range anywhere from 299-399 which is crazy the only reason why it is so high priced is because it is blueray compatible, this is where the blues part comes in. Why should I have to pay an extra 100+ dollars for a feature I would never use in my lifetime, I dont watch DVD's or anything like that not a big movie person to begin with...But if I am going to watch movies or buy movies first off id buy it on DVD [removed] so anyways I dont think its fair that PS3 forces you to pay out another 100 dollars for blueray why not sell the PS3 without the blueray player for 200?
    Last edited by Trevor; 04-Jan-2011 at 01:37. Reason: No discussion of illegal activities.

I wouldn't get a PS3. Its like rotten milk, crap from the start and only gets crapper as time goes on. 360 has so many advanteges over the PS3. As for blu ray. its overhyped and overpriced. And to any PS3 lovers that dont like this: Im not a fanboy, i own all of the systems and PS3 is by far the most useless.

They can't sell the PS3 without the blu-ray player, because all PS3 games are Blu-ray.
    And the online is free, you don't have to pay for it every year or so like the Xbox.

I think that the PS3 has alot of advantages over the 360. For a start the PS3 has FREE online gaming... whereas 360, you have to pay for it.

I would have to disagree LittleDaniel, compare the PS3 to the PS2 etc, there are alot of niffty features like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth etc that other older consoles of the Sony range doesnt have.

In regards to the Blue Ray thingy, you can notice the quality but you need a proper HD tv and HD cable.

At the end of the day Sony is developing their technology and what their results are, well, not everyone will like it but i think its a nice touch.

Thats my opinion

Ginger

Quote Originally Posted by LittleDaniel View Post
    I wouldn't get a PS3. Its like rotten milk, crap from the start and only gets crapper as time goes on. 360 has so many advanteges over the PS3. As for blu ray. its overhyped and overpriced. And to any PS3 lovers that dont like this: Im not a fanboy, i own all of the systems and PS3 is by far the most useless.
    not true I think the Wii is the most useless because its only fun if you have other players to play with by yourself you look like an idiot for one and its built for more casual gamers like 10 year olds (all the games are bright and colorful and no blood and guts shown the enemys just poof into a cloud of fairy dust or something like that) lol yet you find so many 10 year olds on Halo and COD

Quote Originally Posted by masterlink View Post
    They can't sell the PS3 without the blu-ray player, because all PS3 games are Blu-ray.
    And the online is free, you don't have to pay for it every year or so like the Xbox.
    Yes this is true Microsoft loves getting everyone's extra dollar not only did we have to buy for online play but also buy a wifi internet adapter now microsoft has built in wifi on the new xbox's but it sucks that I dropped a a Ben Franklin on it and now its included I am almost half tempted to call corporate and bitch at them for that

PS3 did manage to get that right on included wifi and free online gaming and also the avatars and PS3 Home are unique to the PS3 unlike the Xbox that copied Wii's Mii

However Masterlink I think it is entirely stupid that PS3 made their games blueray that is trapping the consumer to buy the blueray player they could have made the games non blueray and sold PS3's without a blueray capability and one with, more options rather then saying "Oh well all are games need a blueray capability to be played sorry that will be an extra 100 dollars"

Quote Originally Posted by masterlink View Post
    True but with PSN you get what you pay for. At least with xbox live its actually good :P

You have got to be looking in the wrong place. The PS3 costs the exact same as the Xbox 360.

Where ever you are looking is trolling the hell out of you.

Note: That price jump you are noticing, if you are using Gamestop, is because of this: The Xbox is using an 8GB HDD, whilst the PS3 is using a 180GB HDD.

Now: Time to debunk some of the stuffs people are spewing about in this thread. Let us go!

The PS3's online play is 100% free. Playstation Plus is optional. Now, I know it's hard to believe that online can be free, Xbox people, but yes, it can. I know, I know, it's hard. But it is.

The PS3's blu-ray player is required for play, yes. That is why it is there. To store more space on the discs. Blu-Ray and a DVD player is exactly the same. There is no difference, other than the space stored. That is why paying for I-Max in theaters is absolutely useless and should not exist.
    It is a misconception that Blu-Ray is looks nicer than DVD.

The PS3's wifi comes in free without buying a new Xbox 360, or purchasing a wifi adapter. This is bolded because for some reason, people just do not get what I am saying.

The PS3 has every single non-exclusive (Halo series) game that the Xbox 360 has. PS3 equaling no games is a misconception.

Now, if you're going to use your PS3 only to watch movies. Do not. Blu-Ray does not look better, as stated above, and you are paying for a console. Not a blu-ray player. Go for a DVD player.

Remaining points:

-Any USB mic can be used with the PS3, along with blue-tooth. Yes, the Xbox 360 comes with its own mic, and variations, but you do not have to use one of their mics, you can use one you are comfortable with. Like the headset that is plugged into your computer this very instant.

-The online play is the very same as the Xbox 360's. The online community is silenter, but that is why there are websites hinting on the search of friends. Yes. The Xbox 360 has them too. There is no difference in the connectivity between Live and PSN.

I know about this subject far too well..

Quote Originally Posted by LittleDaniel View Post
    360 has so many advanteges over the PS3.
    Name them...?!
    Last edited by KuroCat; 03-Jan-2011 at 23:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshinori View Post
    It is a misconception that Blu-Ray is looks nicer than DVD.
    It is only a misconception unless you have a HDTV.

I can tell a whole world of difference between Saving Private Ryan on DVD and Saving Private Ryan on Blu-Ray. The added resolution to the picture is something that one won't notice on a standard tube television, but with the right equipment, the difference really blows me away.

Then again, maybe it's because I watch a fuck of a lot of movies that makes it easier for me to notice these kinds of differences. I have to acknowledge it when a casual movie watcher says he cannot tell the difference, because he most likely has not sat through the tens of thousands of DVDs that I did in this lifetime. Let's just say perhaps I was more seasoned to notice a difference. Anyway, it doesn't matter much - I respect your opinion, and we can agree to disagree as much as we want.

Sadly, I made the mistake of investing in the HD-DVD add-on for the 360. Yeah, the picture quality is AWESOME on the films that I did pick up for it before that format died. But I should have saved that money and put it towards a PS3 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by KaworuVsDrWily View Post
    It is only a misconception unless you have a HDTV.

I can tell a whole world of difference between Saving Private Ryan on DVD and Saving Private Ryan on Blu-Ray. The added resolution to the picture is something that one won't notice on a standard tube television, but with the right equipment, the difference really blows me away.
    Oh, thanks KaworuVsDrWily, I forgot to mention that.

Blu-Ray is specified for 1080p HD, (Which the consoles cannot even access, 1080p on a console is a lie), whilst DVD is not.
    Of course, this is practically useless unless you have both a:

-HDMI cable
    -HDTV

The Blu-Ray also has increased resolution, but again, that it is an extremely small detail, which you probably will not notice unless watching a movie or a video.

All-in-all, Blu-ray is a larger storage device; nothing more.

PS3 has been the same price as Xbox everywhere I've been...x_x I've never heard the argument in price ranges because of PS3's blu-ray. I'm satisfied with the PS3 but I wouldn't buy one if I already had a 360.