Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you consider Infantilism a Sub Genere of BDSM?

Default Do you consider Infantilism a Sub Genere of BDSM?

Alright now.... I'm curious as to how many of you consider Infantilism a Sub-genre of BDSM. I personally don't but I have no problem with people that do. (My fiancee thinks it's a subgenere) so yeah I'm just wondering if you guys think it's a subgenere or treat it as such..... I personally think it's it's own thing.

The reason I ask is because as someone said BDSM is many things. But when you look at it Bondage scenes have a Top and Bottom. Usually Top is a Master and the bottom is a slave. But in infantlism you have the TOP(parent) and bottom (baby). You have submission (baby is submissive to parent) and then you have Discipline (spankings) which are prevalent in both BDSM and Infantilism fantasies. So yeah that's why is usually considered a subgenere and many BDSM communities accept infantilist with no real qualms or problems. (age play essentially)
    Last edited by dragsnick; 03-Jan-2011 at 19:42.

I'm not seeing much connection between Infantilism and BDSM.
    Mainly because an Infantilist is someone who is deeply involved with diapers, and would normally wish to be babied by another person, either sexually or non-sexually.

BDSM stands for "Bondage and Discipline, Dominance and Submission, and Sadism and Masochism." (Deprived from Wikipedia).
    Infantilism isn't nearly as involved as BDSM, because none of the above are applied.

Someone can combine the two, being an Infantilist who is practicing in BDSM. Such as: being forced into a crib with a bed-time applied, and if they do not comply a punishment occurs.

I see these as two different subjects, personally. Someone who has a keen like of diapers and baby objects, who acts out a baby's life style (Diaper changes, feeding times, wearing baby clothes) does not sound like someone who is currently practicing bondage, does it?

OmegaOne

Interesting question there, and I'm afraid I can't give a straight answer. I think that when it's about forced babying, forced use of diapers, diaper punishment and the like, then yes. But when it's the more relaxed stuff, particularly with only one participant, no.
    That's my two cents
    OmegaOne

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaOne View Post
    Interesting question there, and I'm afraid I can't give a straight answer. I think that when it's about forced babying, forced use of diapers, diaper punishment and the like, then yes. But when it's the more relaxed stuff, particularly with only one participant, no.
    That's my two cents
    OmegaOne
    I agree 100%..DL nature could be closer to BDSM but AB nature? Don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshinori View Post
    I'm not seeing much connection between Infantilism and BDSM.
    Mainly because an Infantilist is someone who is deeply involved with diapers, and would normally wish to be babied by another person, either sexually or non-sexually.

BDSM stands for "Bondage and Discipline, Dominance and Submission, and Sadism and Masochism." (Deprived from Wikipedia).
    Infantilism isn't nearly as involved as BDSM, because none of the above are applied.

Someone can combine the two, being an Infantilist who is practicing in BDSM. Such as: being forced into a crib with a bed-time applied, and if they do not comply a punishment occurs.

I see these as two different subjects, personally. Someone who has a keen like of diapers and baby objects, who acts out a baby's life style (Diaper changes, feeding times, wearing baby clothes) does not sound like someone who is currently practicing bondage, does it?
    Well it could be depending on who sees is hence the question! XD It's all how you define BDSM.

Quote Originally Posted by dragsnick View Post
    Well it could be depending on who sees is hence the question! XD It's all how you define BDSM.
    Yeah, you're right. I suppose it's all on how you define both Infantilism and BDSM.

Many would go the direct route and say Infantilism is indeed BDSM, or BDSM is Infantilism when others, such as myself, cannot seem to make a clear connection between the two.

There's overlap... but think of a venn diagram with some things in the middle overlap) but many others in one group or the other.

Forced diapering, punishment, dominance and submission can all to be to do with bdsm; ageplay, regression... can often have nothing to do with bdsm; bdsm need not be purely sexual. To lump ageplay under bdsm - or not misses the point; they are ingredients that can be mixed but are not intrinsically related.

I believe its a part of a sub-genre of BDSM in a since. It's a matter of perspective though.

To me, their is a sense of submission to AB/BF. The 'baby' will often submit himself/herself to the care of a superior of some form or another, be it a mommy, daddy, or nanny. In turn, the nanny would care for the baby, being trusted to keep him/her safe, clean, and content. Often, the baby will act according to how the nanny wishes, be it agreed or sometimes the nanny would train the 'baby' to act as such. In all, infantilism contains a lot of power exchange involved, and power exchange is a big foundation to the majority of BDSM... especially the submission/dominance aspect, and that's what I enjoy most.

The idea of taking a functions away from a human being excites some people. Reducing a person's own ability to do things, like a diaper forcing one to use it instead of a toilet like big boys would provides a sense of powerless, which is seen in most BDSM views. Again, submission is involve when allowing a nanny to take away your grown-up privileges.

That's my view on it. If any connection AB has to BDSM is more to the dom/sub connection alone. Bondage and sadomasochism has no relevance to infantilism.

A sub-genre, no, but very similar and comparable in many ways. An AB is strapped into a high chair or car seat. thy are closed into a crib. They lose control of certain functions and are stripped of certain rights when under the care of a caregiver.

Really, the distinction has to be at an individual level. For some, the idea of a high chair as restraint is entirely counter to their state of mind, whereas to others the idea of restraint in a high chair is part and parcel to the expirience. In both cases the AB might be put into a high chair and strapped in, but whether it's bondage or it's a caregiver making sure that "baby" remains safe is entirely an individual determination. In my own case, it's entirely dependent upon my mood.

Like xbabyx, I think they're similar in the fact that they both involve giving up a loss of control. If it's parter play with a caretaker involved, it's even more so like BDSM due to the fact that a 'top' (mommy, babysitter, what have you) is taking care of a 'bottom' (AB). They're not the same, mind you, but they all fall under that umbrella of 'Domination and submission' for me.

Of course, whether infantilism is sexual or emotional for the individuals involved changes that too. I see sexual AB-play as something BDSM-ish, but not infantilism for emotional gratification/security. (Yes, in the latter, you're giving up power so a caretaker to care for you, but it's more innocent than what I see BDSM activities as. But I'm not really that well learned in BDSM anyways. *puts that on her to-do list*)