Thread: Are all internships 10 weeks?

Default Are all internships 10 weeks?

Looking for internships for the summer but they are 10 weeks. I'm kinda bummed because that ruins my plans for the summer... on top what little work I have is during the summer and I can't really afford to miss it. But if I don't go I could seriously screw up my entire life for a long while. Decision decisions... -_- Anyone know of a Internship search engine? like scholarship.com but for internships?

UPDATE: Yeah now I"m just looking for internships in general... XD Got over that whole ten weeks deal.
    Last edited by dragsnick; 04-Jan-2011 at 20:24.

I think it really depends on the fields of work you are searching for an internship in. Can you provide any detail on what area you are looking to work in?

Quote Originally Posted by dragsnick View Post
    Looking for internships for the summer but they are 10 weeks. I'm kinda bummed because that ruins my plans for the summer... on top what little work I have is during the summer and I can't really afford to miss it. But if I don't go I could seriously screw up my entire life for a long while. Decision decisions... -_- Anyone know of a Internship search engine? like scholarship.com but for internships?
    Based on other threads, your plans for the summer would be to find work, if at all possible. If you turn your back on this opportunity, you will suffer for it.

I would not want to see you suffer, so I would advise you go for any paid internship in your discipline you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    Based on other threads, your plans for the summer would be to find work, if at all possible. If you turn your back on this opportunity, you will suffer for it.

I would not want to see you suffer, so I would advise you go for any paid internship in your discipline you can get.
    Yeah thanks. XD I do want to get the jobs so yeah I'm goign or it. I was just acting all Chicken and what not. I applied to google and IBM. so far.... oh and it's Computer Science field.

Quote Originally Posted by dragsnick View Post
    Yeah thanks. XD I do want to get the jobs so yeah I'm goign or it. I was just acting all Chicken and what not. I applied to google and IBM. so far.... oh and it's Computer Science field.
    This is useful.

Have you taken Data Structures yet? Algorithms? Where you are in your coursework will in turn drive the kind of internship you are looking for.

If you enjoyed Algorithms and are math-heavy, you'll want to go for Google. You won't work on the engine, but you may get something interesting. If you like data structures ... I wonder if Dropbox has internships? IBM is a toughie: when I was stomping around years ago, it was all, "write this low-level driver to control (a) a keyboard; (b) a hard drive; (c) a test harness."

If there is any way you can leave the island for the summer--paid relocation would be the best--do so. I suspect there will be a lot more opportunities off the island than on. You would know better than I or he, but I've got a friend from PR who is visiting PR right now. He "does" IT, and I'll ask him about opportunities for CS types there when we next talk.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    This is useful.

Have you taken Data Structures yet? Algorithms? Where you are in your coursework will in turn drive the kind of internship you are looking for.

If you enjoyed Algorithms and are math-heavy, you'll want to go for Google. You won't work on the engine, but you may get something interesting. If you like data structures ... I wonder if Dropbox has internships? IBM is a toughie: when I was stomping around years ago, it was all, "write this low-level driver to control (a) a keyboard; (b) a hard drive; (c) a test harness."

If there is any way you can leave the island for the summer--paid relocation would be the best--do so. I suspect there will be a lot more opportunities off the island than on. You would know better than I or he, but I've got a friend from PR who is visiting PR right now. He "does" IT, and I'll ask him about opportunities for CS types there when we next talk.
    Oh wow thanks. But yeah I'm looking to get off this shit hole. There are no jobs everything I have to go to the US for even the Internships that the college provides. Hence why I was initially hesitant for that. I've taken Data Structures already. Here's what I've already taken. Data Structures, C++,Visual Basic, Assembler language, Database Theory, Software Engineering, OOP, Discrete mathematics. By may (my next semester is Jan-may) I should have Operating Systems, Java,and Computer Graphics (whatever this is?) IBM already denied me tough but I'll check Drop Box (that's that online backup site right?)

Also I love Discreet math but I hate things like Calculus or Physics. (Trust me they gave me high blood pressure). But I love figuring out algorithms and the big o notation and all that jazz.

*shrugs* Microsoft is really big on internships, and on getting new talent in general. I had a bunch of friends who got internships there in a lot of different areas, so there's probably something that interests you. Plus they'd definitely do paid relocation etc. I hear they're fairly picky, but then again who isn't?

Quote Originally Posted by LBcub View Post
    *shrugs* Microsoft is really big on internships, and on getting new talent in general. I had a bunch of friends who got internships there in a lot of different areas, so there's probably something that interests you. Plus they'd definitely do paid relocation etc. I hear they're fairly picky, but then again who isn't?
    Picky.... I hate that word. usually mean "Yeah you're not gonna get accepted" -_-

I can say, most reasons the internships are so long are because you have to complete a min number of hours. I believe I am doing 1.5x the number of hours actually required for mine, but I am doing a coop with a power company. Good luck on your search.