View Poll Results: Grinding for experience?

29. You may not vote on this poll

4 13.79%
  • Meh, it depends on the game.

11 37.93%
  • Every time my characters get a LVL UP, I feel ecstacy!

10 34.48%
  • Never played a game like that before.

4 13.79%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grinding!

Default Grinding!

No, this is not grinding in any pervy sense. Get your mind out of the gutter.

I am talking about grinding monsters and enemies for experience and loot.

The type of grinding that is at the center of virtually every JRPG in existance.

Do you get pleasure out of maxing out your characters this way? Or would you rather play a video game that has none of that in it at all?

I'm playing Star Ocean - The Last Hope currently, so I guess that answers the question for you.

I enjoy grinding, I'm kinda lazy when it comes to those kind of games so the slower pace doesn't really bother me.

I used to do this a whole bunch when I played WoW.
    Loved it, but it kinda got in the way of my life =/
    Now that I got Global Agenda from a Steam sale, I just KNOW I'm gonna be doing it again, but with guns!

Being a player of these games for some time now, I'm certainly familiar with the term but I have to say I don't quite get it. If playing the game is perceived as a "grind", why do it? I play these games for enjoyment and while I don't expect a game session to be constant ecstasy, if it wasn't on balance a good time, I'd go find another game or find some other way to pass my leisure. To me, at least, these things have to be more than just acquiring the next level or spell or power, the game play either solo or with people (as your personal style dictates) has to be enjoyable in and of itself, in which case, it's not a grind any more than reading a book or watching a movie is a grind. I have never subscribed to the "game begins at X level" philosophy where "X" is typically the final level. If it doesn't start for me at level 1 or whatever start is, I won't play it.

Butterfly Mage

Kill the monster, steal its treasure, sell its treasure, upgrade weapons and armor. Repeat as necessary until you get to Level 50! Whoo-hoo!!!

I love experience grinders. Diablo, Diablo-II, Torchlight, Sacred, Sacred-II -- all awesome games!

I try to max level characters, but I never quite manage to keep myself interested enough to do it. I do get a little thrill when they do level.

bleh really don't like grinding that much, though like Anarchy Online (still not sure how that works). I really hate grinding when it the usual stupid leveling system of: I shoot bow, I improve bow skill, repeat. Joy! *rolls eyes*

Quote Originally Posted by kwis View Post
    Grinding, especially in games where macro programs are allowed
    Yep - I voted "Never played a game like that before" because I haven't played a game where training was a grind. I level up to a certain point, and then use a bot to powerlevel if there's something I want to do with a prerequisite skill level.

If my character isn't the best of the best, the game is not complete. If I did all the missions, but for some reason, I'm still not there, I go around and kill all of the important people, and get all their cool shit and experience points! I will not settle for imperfection!