Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Last Resort" Classes

Default "Last Resort" Classes

Couldn't think of a decent title, obviously, that best summed up the question. Anyways, getting my lazy butt to finally sign up for classes and ended up having to add one just because it was the only thing that met the requirement I needed, and still had seats. The class? Introduction to Opera II (basically 19th century onward). My only hope is for there to please be a bunch of hot girls to at least make it less painful :/. Really the only class I can think of that I've taken despite knowing I will absolutely hate it (well outside of Highschool anyways).

But yea, basically as the title and my little rant/story is trying to get to, For the people here going or have gone to college, what are some classes you've taken that were in the same mold. Or basically, classes which you had to take because there wasn't another option available (likely electives and liberal studies).

And note I'm not talking about things like English or Math, in which you usually don't have a choice on to begin with.

I just had to take an Intro to Networking class for my degree, and will have to take an Operating Systems class as well. I've been professionally networking computers for the past two years, so this intro class was beyond painful. We had to do ORing to find the broadcast address of an IP address (if you understood that, good for you, if not don't worry about it). One of my classmates used a 255.255.255.34 subnet. For those of you not familiar with networking, a .34 subnet doesn't exist. Long story short, stuff like that made it painful for me to be in this class.

I took some business classes as electives. My mother and I talked about it, and we figured it couldn't hurt and would be good for me. Introduction to Management, Introduction to Marketing, and Introduction to Advertising, each one a different semester.

Heh, last quarter I registered insanely late (4 days before the start of the quarter, if I remember right) and got some really bottom-of-the-barrel classes. Intro to lit and global studies, a night, and a weekend class, respectively. They sounded incredibly boring, but intro to lit was actually rather interesting, the instructor was really out there and had some interesting content. As interesting as that one was, I registered as early as possible for this quarter to avoid a repeat.

Never found myself in that position, having attended university in the 1970's. They usually had duplicates of every major requirement and prerequisite classes in my major each quarter. Made completing a course of study and attaining an undergraduate degree a breeze.

I was always back to the university early and was one of the first in line to enroll in classes, so I never found myself fishing at the bottom of the barrel for classes.

I even stumbled into advanced classes by accident. In my first year of college my scheduled classes gave me a four hour break between English and Psychology classes.

Early in the term, I noticed the Art building was between these two buildings, so I sauntered in to check things out. Within 5 minutes I had a 25 pound block of clay wedged up and started to throw a set of soup bowls and a covered soup tureen. Four weeks later at about the same time of day the Pottery Professor showed up while I was under-glazing the hand carved decoration on the bowls and asked "What pottery/art class are you enrolled in". I confessed that I had been throwing pottery and was planning on inquiring about enrollment in his class. He laughed and said this ended the mystery of where all the green-ware in the damp box came from. He told me that I had completed more work than all of his beginning and advanced pottery students combined, and asked if I wanted to enroll in an advanced pottery class? He spent the rest of the term teaching me glaze chemistry and allowed me to create whatever pottery I wanted for the rest of the term.

I actually attended an opera class a few years ago, because I wanted to learn more about it, and maybe become interested in Opera. It didn't help; I'm still not an opera fan. But I use Opera as my web browser though!

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Howl View Post
    Couldn't think of a decent title, obviously, that best summed up the question. Anyways, getting my lazy butt to finally sign up for classes and ended up having to add one just because it was the only thing that met the requirement I needed, and still had seats. The class? Introduction to Opera II (basically 19th century onward). My only hope is for there to please be a bunch of hot girls to at least make it less painful :/. Really the only class I can think of that I've taken despite knowing I will absolutely hate it (well outside of Highschool anyways).

But yea, basically as the title and my little rant/story is trying to get to, For the people here going or have gone to college, what are some classes you've taken that were in the same mold. Or basically, classes which you had to take because there wasn't another option available (likely electives and liberal studies).

And note I'm not talking about things like English or Math, in which you usually don't have a choice on to begin with.
    I'd think that Introduction to Opera II would be a haven for gay guys, not girls.

I would also not take this class; it sounds like something that'd be much harder than you would think. I'd take something like Introduction to Humanities (HUM 371, I think).

Quote Originally Posted by Ranthor View Post
    I just had to take an Intro to Networking class for my degree, and will have to take an Operating Systems class as well. I've been professionally networking computers for the past two years, so this intro class was beyond painful. We had to do ORing to find the broadcast address of an IP address (if you understood that, good for you, if not don't worry about it). One of my classmates used a 255.255.255.34 subnet. For those of you not familiar with networking, a .34 subnet doesn't exist. Long story short, stuff like that made it painful for me to be in this class.
    I laughed so hard at the 255.255.255.34.
    My school requried a course called critical thinking. I wanted to rip out my brainstem and skip rope with it.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    I'd think that Introduction to Opera II would be a haven for gay guys, not girls.

I would also not take this class; it sounds like something that'd be much harder than you would think. I'd take something like Introduction to Humanities (HUM 371, I think).
    It was the only one that wasn't restricted to distance learners or Frosh. There are 2 more now that are open, either Art to 1400 or Health Care Ethics (not sure on the latter as its only 8 people class Oo).

some reason spring classes filled up incredibly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Howl View Post
    The class? Introduction to Opera II (basically 19th century onward). My only hope is for there to please be a bunch of hot girls to at least make it less painful :/.
    Dude...look up Nessun Dorma on youtube. Then find a copy of the whole opera (Turandot), and just give it a try. Look up the story on the internet, and pay attention to the mood/tone and delivery of the arias. It's not unlike hiphop/rap in that the lyrics alone are not enough to convey the entire message: changes in rhythm and volume add to feelings communicated by the melody and harmony, and provide a backdrop that puts the lyrics in perspective. For example, just think of your favorite Kanye West song performed by William Shattner. Same words, different message.

The sound and general inaccessibility of opera may be of limited interest to our 21st century tastes, but some of the same dynamics still apply. In the case of Nessun Dorma, I think the author's/composer's lyrics imply a kind of pathetic desperation, or obsession, and (depending on how it is performed) the singer confirms it; although the lyrics describe victory, the instrumentation communicates tragedy--I think that combination is what makes the piece so popular. The lyrics alone do not convey the same effect.

And as far as classmates go, I think it'd be advantageous to take a class without being distracted by 'hot girls'. Most of my undergrad classes were populated by hot girls. Why submit yourself to all the distraction and desire?

Chances are that the class won't be terribly difficult, and you might find it interesting on some level. I've never regretted any of my 'last resort' classes. This could be an easy A, or even better, a class that expands your horizons.
    Last edited by PostTenebrasLux; 03-Jan-2011 at 04:27.