Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux

Default Linux

So I was planing on putting linux on my laptop tommrow, but need to know a few thinging.

First: I just bought a wireless USB Wi-Fi finder(still waiting for it to ship) will it work on linux.

Second: I have a creative zen sleek photo, will it work on linux

Third: Dose Linux run good on laptops

1) It would have been a better idea to check which adapters are supported first, but check on Welcome - Linux Wireless.

2) I have no idea

3) It depends, but most should have good support.

O..and I forgot to tell you what kind of USB Wi-Fi finder and computer.

My computer is a Toshiba Tecra 8000, has a 288 MHZ prossecer, and 256 MB of ram

And the USB Wi-Fi finder is a Creative I/O Chipset USB 2.0 Wireless Wi-Fi adapter, 802.11 b/g 54 Mbps

At a glance I don't see your device on the list, but you can give it a try. For a laptop with those specs I'd recommend using a desktop environment manager like XFCE or FluxBox.

Quote Originally Posted by chevre View Post
    At a glance I don't see your device on the list, but you can give it a try. For a laptop with those specs I'd recommend using a desktop environment manager like XFCE or FluxBox.

Ok, thanks

That's good advice. I'd recommend Xubuntu (fairly widely used so you should get good support, and the *buntu linux distributions are usually fairly user friendly).
    The RAM is sufficient but I'm not sure about the processor, but you can give it a try.
    Xubuntu.org | Xubuntu Linux

If you want a really slimmed down version, DSL is excellent
    Damn Small Linux, Download the ISO
    It contains all the essentials but isn't as user friendly as some of the others. Still good if you're looking for a challenge.

Most distributions have live CDs where you don't have to install to you HD but keep in mind they'll they'll run much slower from a CD than HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    That's good advice. I'd recommend Xubuntu (fairly widely used so you should get good support, and the *buntu linux distributions are usually fairly user friendly).
    The RAM is sufficient but I'm not sure about the processor, but you can give it a try.
    Xubuntu.org | Xubuntu Linux

If you want a really slimmed down version, DSL is excellent
    Damn Small Linux, Download the ISO
    It contains all the essentials but isn't as user friendly as some of the others. Still good if you're looking for a challenge.

Most distributions have live CDs where you don't have to install to you HD but keep in mind they'll they'll run much slower from a CD than HD.
    I have Ubuntu Ver. 5.10

That's way old. I suggest downloading a recent Xubuntu disc.

288MHz?! How old is this computer, exactly?? Can you name me the processor it has inside of it? Should be a sticker with the processor name on it somewhere near the keyboard.

Has a Pentium II.

I installed it to my computer, but my USB wifi finder dose not work with it. And when I try to pput windows back on it says files are missing or corrupt