Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rape victims being able to joke about rape

Default Rape victims being able to joke about rape

I want to post this topic to see your opinion on this kinda situation because I am a rape victim...
    I was raped by my best friend, well ex best friend anyway :P
    I joke about rape all the time... To an extent...
    Like I would say
    The wind just raped my hair...
    Or
    I felt like he was gonna rape me because he put his hand on my shoulder... (I really hate those awkward situations)
    But I really haven't told anyone about this except my sister and my friend Alex...
    I like to think that jokes like that hint off the trail a bit..
    I don't know.. I just want to hear others opinions...

You are a soldier..I doubt that's something I'd wanna joke about.

Quote Originally Posted by DependsSuk View Post
    I want to post this topic to see your opinion on this kinda situation because I am a rape victim...
    I was raped by my best friend, well ex best friend anyway :P
    I joke about rape all the time... To an extent...
    Like I would say
    The wind just raped my hair...
    Or
    I felt like he was gonna rape me because he put his hand on my shoulder... (I really hate those awkward situations)
    But I really haven't told anyone about this except my sister and my friend Alex...
    I like to think that jokes like that hint off the trail a bit..
    I don't know.. I just want to hear others opinions...
    I find that the term in the broader context is appropriate when joking around and I use it alot. I would probably be cautious using it around a rape victim or someone I suspected was one.

As far as you yourself using it goes:
    If you feel comfortable then why not? From what you said here it seems like you dealt with it a lot better than most people. At least the ones that I have met and that are portrayed on TV.

Fellow sex-crime victim here.

I'm able to joke around with it to a certain extent. I'll say things like "You gonna get raped" when I'm joking around with friends.

But if somebody says something like "Chrissy's such a bitch. I want her to get raped." then I get pissy about it. You should really never wish that upon another human being, nor should you joke about it. But I use the word 'rape' as more of a slang term than a joke. It's like... I can't make jokes about people being raped for real, but I can use the word in a different context.

I suspect that you are using jokes as a way to deal with the trauma. We all come to terms with rape in our own way. I think rape is worse when you are very young than when one is a bit older and stupidly puts themselves into those situations as I did when I was in college. A lesson to be learned, at least for me, was....don't drink until you pass out.

I once had to let a male boss give me oral sex in order to keep my job. It's amazing what some of us must go through and still maintain our sanity. I wish you the best in all of this. My intuition tells me there will come a time when you will not be able to joke, because you will become damn angry about it. That's when the real healing will begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Shukkume View Post
    Fellow sex-crime victim here.

I'm able to joke around with it to a certain extent. I'll say things like "You gonna get raped" when I'm joking around with friends.

But if somebody says something like "Chrissy's such a bitch. I want her to get raped." then I get pissy about it. You should really never wish that upon another human being, nor should you joke about it. But I use the word 'rape' as more of a slang term than a joke. It's like... I can't make jokes about people being raped for real, but I can use the word in a different context.
    I could not agree with you more!!
    I get really pissed off when people say things like that.
    I kinda want to ask them "How would you feel if you raped by a person who hated you!!??!?"
    But I think that would be to much so I just say quiet... :P

PoOhBeAwTheROCKSTAR

To cover it up you cover the pain in a cement of jokes whatever floats your boat to get by but let me tell you most avoid the trauma at all costs but you haven't glad to see your not shelled around the fact but much love if you feel down on yourself for the fact of an idiot

ok., this is going to sound alittle insensetive, but, what frm your feelings, what ASPECT of rape caused the most damage do you think. i.e 'feeing used, or the simple fact it wasnt your choice. and if that maybe, ifyoucan elaborate... i.e what is it precisely thats so traumatic about it being unwilling comparedto willing. i have my guesseswhy.

crazykittensmile

I joke about rape, and other things that have affected me that weren't at all humorous at the time. I enjoy dark humour and sick jokes, but when I joke about such things in my mind they are usually far removed from reality and I don't really associate making a rape joke with anything that has happened during my past, any more than I associate dead baby jokes with real babies whom have died.

I think to an extent making jokes about things that have affected me, or issues which I find sensitive and hard to accept or understand, is a way of coping or working through my understanding and acceptance of those things. And then on the other hand, sometimes I just find inappropriate or very dark jokes funny, and I don't even consider whether, or how, they would relate to me. I guess it depends on the nature of the 'joke' and just how far it goes. Usually for me the more outlandish and non politically correct a joke is, the less I can relate it to anything real and so the more likely I am to tell or appreciate the joke.

Twisty

My girlfriend is a rape victim (not by me), and she hates talking about it, let alone joke about it. I think each victim has their own opinion, but some are stronger than others.