Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just my luck

Default Just my luck

So I ordered some diapers ages ago and they are finally arriving today. I am on winter break from college atm so I'm at my parents house. Now I knew these things would be arriving on a weekday, so I wasn't too concerned with having to intercept them...HOWEVER at our extended family Christmas get-together, my aunt, uncle and cousin decided to drag along gastroenteritis and gave it to us, which has just taken effect on my parents. Basically now they are both home and there is an impending UPS truck coming to my house with a rather large box... I could use some creative advice on what to do, I don't think i have much time left.

You could just refuse delivery, they would either return it to sender or you could pick it up another time (not sure about that might be extra charges). Otherwise throw it in the back of a car covered by a blanket. If you are yet to exchange presents you could say that it is something for a friend or a family member and keep it in your room or another private place. I don't think anyone would open someone's present. You could say that you want to open it your self in case you need to send it back. Of course you would have to have a present to give them anyway that would explain the box, which might be hard. If your parents are sick then it might not matter that much.
    Last edited by MFD; 28-Dec-2010 at 14:46. Reason: Thought of something else

Two things off the top of my head:

Option one: pretend they are computer parts, works especially well if you do indeed fiddle with computers and if your parents are technologically inept.
    Option two: if you have already bought your books for the winter semester and you have them at your parent's and your parents aren't aware that you already have them, you can play that card.

In any case, you need to play it cool. That's the most important thing, if you look relaxed your parents are much, much less likely of suspecting that you are lying to them.

Oo I like the idea of it being a gift to me. (More like a gift to me from me!)

yea it's not too hard to put a cover up story together :p. I use the computer one myself a lot but if not I'd just be honest and say it was a gift for myself and leave it at that

You could tell them that since they had GI issues you ordered an emergency overnight shipment of diapers for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by closet dl View Post
    You could tell them that since they had GI issues you ordered an emergency overnight shipment of diapers for everyone.
    If you're the kind of person who pulls elaborate jokes this could possibly work. Otherwise it will just look like a cover up when people think about it in a deeper context.

You could always just avoid them when you get the package or tell them to wait 1 second while you put it away, then entertain them.

Well, after being prepared all morning, the ups guy caught me unprepared and I basically met my
    mom at the door. I told her it was a Christmas gift to my girlfriend and couldn't come up with anything when she asked what it was and said it was secret - to which I quickly changed to clothing. Man that was stressful

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHugs View Post
    Well, after being prepared all morning, the ups guy caught me unprepared and I basically met my
    mom at the door. I told her it was a Christmas gift to my girlfriend and couldn't come up with anything when she asked what it was and said it was secret - to which I quickly changed to clothing. Man that was stressful
    Wow that sounds like a very close call. Probably a little suspicious about what you are up to. Have you considered sending it to a ups store or just asking for them to hold it so you can pick it up?

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Wow that sounds like a very close call. Probably a little suspicious about what you are up to. Have you considered sending it to a ups store or just asking for them to hold it so you can pick it up?
    There is a UPS store a few miles from here, but this being the first time ordering online since I bought my car I hadn't thought about it. 3/4 of the year I don't have to worry about it as I'm at school, and nobody checks the packages as I've recently found out! But yeah I will definitely be using that UPS store for pickups if the situation ever arises again!