View Poll Results: What is your preferred Christmas greeting?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Happy Christmas

4 25.00%
  • Merry Christmas

10 62.50%
  • Season's Greeting

1 6.25%
  • Happy Winterval

0 0%
  • Merry Winterval

0 0%
  • Happy Holidays

6 37.50%
  • Happy Wintereenmas

0 0%
  • Other (please specify)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas greetings

Default Christmas greetings

After a good natured argument with a friend, I would like to ask you all:

What is your preferred Christmas greeting?

The argument was over Merry or Happy Christmas, but it occurs to me there are so many more possibilities. So... which is yours?

Happy Holidays or Hi/Hello. Unless i'm around confirmed Christians, such at church tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Happy Holidays or Hi/Hello. Unless i'm around confirmed Christians, such at church tonight.
    This surprises me. Obviously, you are at liberty to be as sensitive as you will but I think anyone who gets upset at being wished a merry/happy/whatever Christmas just because they don't participate is looking for things to be upset about, and this is speaking as someone who hasn't had any real use for Christmas for a very long time. Are you similarly careful about St. Patrick's Day?

When I'm out and about dealing with other humans, I just tend to anwser back whatever they use. I don't generally offer a Christmas greeting until the day itself and then that's family and friends.

Happy Festivus!! :3 Otherwise, I just go with the all-encompassing happy holidays.

I tend to use Season's Greetings or Happy Holidays just so that I acknowledge that there are more than one celebration going on. I don't, however, get offended if someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, since it's generally just a good natured greeting.

I do, however, wish that some groups would quit wasting their time worrying about which retailers are saying "Christmas" and which ones aren't. There are so many better things to do with that time...like actually getting out and helping people who need it.

And sometimes I will, with a grin and a giggle, wish people a very Happy ChriFSMas. It's a Pastafarian thing.

Butterfly Mage

I go with Happy Holidays, since there are numerous holidays in December. There's Christmas, Haunaka, Yule, Kwanza, a Hindu holiday, a Voodo holiday on Dec 28. There are probably others too.

I generally say either happy holidays or merry Christmas. I usually go for merry Christmas in writing but with happy holidays in speech (it just rolls off the tongue better).

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleWoozle View Post
    I tend to use Season's Greetings or Happy Holidays just so that I acknowledge that there are more than one celebration going on. I don't, however, get offended if someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, since it's generally just a good natured greeting.

I do, however, wish that some groups would quit wasting their time worrying about which retailers are saying "Christmas" and which ones aren't. There are so many better things to do with that time...like actually getting out and helping people who need it.
    Right on