Thread: Hand made harness

Default Hand made harness

as its been requested by a couple of other users from the collars thread on how I had made my harness i figured i would make it a thread to help them out.

Instructions for furry/ sled harness
    What you will need:
    Webbing material: you will need a good length of webbing for the harness; you can get any diameter/pattern/color that you want. I was able to get all the materials supplies from strapworks.com you can probably get the materials you need form any site I only got them from the above site as it was cheap enough, had many options and they take PayPal.

2 metal rings: the metal rings for the center front and center back points of the harness that hold everything together, you will need to get a ring that has a diameter big enough to have 4x of the strap widths that you select fit inside of it.

4 male and 4 female strap buckles: these need to have receivers that fit the strap width you are getting, you can either get these in all plastic, all metal or a hybrid of a plastic male and a metal female set, I recommend the hybrid as its more durable and enables the harness to be used for pulling.

8 metal tri slides: once again you need to get these in the right size to fit you’re webbing width. They have the plastic and metal versions however the metal is recommended as they will hold up to pulling. The slides allow for size adjustments of 1.5x the length of the strap either tighter or looser depending on how you set it up initially.

Sewing materials: you will either need a good sewing machine (industrial) or a heavy duty needle and thread with a pair of pliers. Try to match the colors of the thread with the color of the webbing to make them blend together and look better and always use a non cotton thread if possible as it seems to hold together better.

A electric hot knife/webbing cutter or a good pair of scissors: you will need something to make clean straight cuts in the webbing. If you use a hot knife or webbing cutter it will cut and seal the webbing. If you use scissors you will also need a heat gun with a low setting.

Heat gun with temperature settings: you will need this to seal the ends of the webbing to prevent it from unraveling which will cause the webbing to fall apart. When you seal the ends after a scissor cut use the low setting and avoid shrinking the webbing as much as possible otherwise it will be impossible to sew through as it will be a solid and inflexible strap. (You do not want this)

Building your harness:
    Depending on your body type and size you will need a different amount of strap/ webbing to make your harness the way you want it. Below is a crude way to estimate the amount that you will need, you should use a fabric tape measure found in most sewing boxes/kits to make the measurements, if you don’t have one a piece of string and a yardstick will work.
    Center of Chest to Shoulder Tip left and right
    Center of Chest, Diagonal to Hip left and right
    Hip to center of back left and right
    Center of back to shoulders left and right
    Add an inch for each piece of hardware that will need to be sewn on about 14 inches, multiply measurements excluding the additional 14 inches by 1.5 for the adjustments to fit a larger body or a little less 1.1-1.2x for a smaller fit, this allows for small adjustments of all the straps.

From the picture you should be able to figure out the way the webbing attaches to everything if not I will try and get detail pics and instructions that show step by step illustrations.
    When attaching a piece that is on the end of the webbing straps fold about an inch over to allow for sewing together. Use a box type pattern and a tight stitch to keep everything together go back and forth a couple times to get a better reinforced stitch. When you are certain a section is stitched together properly you can use a low heat from the heat gun to slightly shrink the webbing and seal all the thread into it securing it all together. Good luck

harness hand made
    Last edited by woofcub; 23-Dec-2010 at 03:03.

Yay yay yay! *chases tail*
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by woofcub View Post
    as its been requested by a couple of other users from the collars thread on how I had made my harness i figured i would make it a thread to help them out.

Instructions for furry/ sled harness
    What you will need:
    Webbing material: you will need a good length of webbing for the harness; you can get any diameter/pattern/color that you want. I was able to get all the materials supplies from strapworks.com you can probably get the materials you need form any site I only got them from the above site as it was cheap enough, had many options and they take PayPal.

2 metal rings: the metal rings for the center front and center back points of the harness that hold everything together, you will need to get a ring that has a diameter big enough to have 4x of the strap widths that you select fit inside of it.

4 male and 4 female strap buckles: these need to have receivers that fit the strap width you are getting, you can either get these in all plastic, all metal or a hybrid of a plastic male and a metal female set, I recommend the hybrid as its more durable and enables the harness to be used for pulling.

8 metal tri slides: once again you need to get these in the right size to fit you’re webbing width. They have the plastic and metal versions however the metal is recommended as they will hold up to pulling. The slides allow for size adjustments of 1.5x the length of the strap either tighter or looser depending on how you set it up initially.

Sewing materials: you will either need a good sewing machine (industrial) or a heavy duty needle and thread with a pair of pliers. Try to match the colors of the thread with the color of the webbing to make them blend together and look better and always use a non cotton thread if possible as it seems to hold together better.

A electric hot knife/webbing cutter or a good pair of scissors: you will need something to make clean straight cuts in the webbing. If you use a hot knife or webbing cutter it will cut and seal the webbing. If you use scissors you will also need a heat gun with a low setting.

Heat gun with temperature settings: you will need this to seal the ends of the webbing to prevent it from unraveling which will cause the webbing to fall apart. When you seal the ends after a scissor cut use the low setting and avoid shrinking the webbing as much as possible otherwise it will be impossible to sew through as it will be a solid and inflexible strap. (You do not want this)

Building your harness:
    Depending on your body type and size you will need a different amount of strap/ webbing to make your harness the way you want it. Below is a crude way to estimate the amount that you will need, you should use a fabric tape measure found in most sewing boxes/kits to make the measurements, if you don’t have one a piece of string and a yardstick will work.
    Center of Chest to Shoulder Tip left and right
    Center of Chest, Diagonal to Hip left and right
    Hip to center of back left and right
    Center of back to shoulders left and right
    Add an inch for each piece of hardware that will need to be sewn on about 14 inches, multiply measurements excluding the additional 14 inches by 1.5 for the adjustments to fit a larger body or a little less 1.1-1.2x for a smaller fit, this allows for small adjustments of all the straps.

From the picture you should be able to figure out the way the webbing attaches to everything if not I will try and get detail pics and instructions that show step by step illustrations.
    When attaching a piece that is on the end of the webbing straps fold about an inch over to allow for sewing together. Use a box type pattern and a tight stitch to keep everything together go back and forth a couple times to get a better reinforced stitch. When you are certain a section is stitched together properly you can use a low heat from the heat gun to slightly shrink the webbing and seal all the thread into it securing it all together. Good luck

harness hand made
    seems reasonably straight forward. Would an average sewing machine do, or does it have to have a limit extra grunt to get though the webbing?

Thank you for posting this!

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    seems reasonably straight forward. Would an average sewing machine do, or does it have to have a limit extra grunt to get though the webbing?

Thank you for posting this!
    I would avoid using a standard sewing machine, especially the newer ones that are all plastic and poorly made. I used a older all metal sewing machine and it couldn't get through the webbing, I actually ended up messing up the timing and shuttle hook on that machine trying to do so. if you are going to use a machine you need one that is more heavy duty or made for leather and thick fabrics. honestly you are going to be better off doing it by hand.

if anyone is actually interested in having one but doesn't want to try and make it themselves I am willing to help walk them through getting the materials and make it for them at no cost. all you would need to pay for is the material and return shipping in a flat rate box with tracking. I do sewing projects for fun not profit and this would allow me to take pics along the process of making it so i can post a proper how to in the wiki. Pm me if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by woofcub View Post
    I would avoid using a standard sewing machine, especially the newer ones that are all plastic and poorly made. I used a older all metal sewing machine and it couldn't get through the webbing, I actually ended up messing up the timing and shuttle hook on that machine trying to do so. if you are going to use a machine you need one that is more heavy duty or made for leather and thick fabrics. honestly you are going to be better off doing it by hand.

if anyone is actually interested in having one but doesn't want to try and make it themselves I am willing to help walk them through getting the materials and make it for them at no cost. all you would need to pay for is the material and return shipping in a flat rate box with tracking. I do sewing projects for fun not profit and this would allow me to take pics along the process of making it so i can post a proper how to in the wiki. Pm me if interested.
    It seems strapworks.com has all the materials needed, and a total cost under $20. It even has paw print pattern straps! I may be getting some money for Christmas, and would most definitely take you up on that offer. I will PM you when I am able to afford the materials. (Should be soon, even if I don't get money for Christmas.)

Would I have the order sent to you, or would I get it, than ship it to you from me? The former seems to make more sense...

Do you think using rivets would be ok? I kinda like the look they give.

Quote Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
    Do you think using rivets would be ok? I kinda like the look they give.
    I actually tried to use rivets on a test patch of webbing when i made my original harness and although it did look good they didn't hold together and just pulled apart through the webbing. i would imagine that you could use a heat gun to shrink the webbing around the rivets however that would harden the webbing making it more brittle and uncomfortable for the user.
    using the sewing method my harness has yet to fail and I am able to use it as a pulling harness for pulling things like sleds with people and when ice fishing and pulling equipment sleds behind me. its kind of funny as Ive had non furrs ask me where they could buy one.

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyHugs View Post
    It seems strap works.com has all the materials needed, and a total cost under $20. It even has paw print pattern straps! I may be getting some money for Christmas, and would most definitely take you up on that offer. I will PM you when I am able to afford the materials. (Should be soon, even if I don't get money for Christmas.)

Would I have the order sent to you, or would I get it, than ship it to you from me? The former seems to make more sense...
    make sure that you have the right quantity ordered for material, you will need multiples of everything including webbing as the site charges i believe per foot or yard of webbing. larger width webbing and parts cost more then the smaller with equivalents and having the parts airbrushed in color cost a little bit extra. for the harness that I included a pic of it cost about $40 including shipping but i ended up with a bit of extra webbing which i made into a collar. i also ordered the largest width of webbing and parts and had them airbrushed colored in blue which cost about 25-50 cents extra per part.
    as far as shipping the former of the options would be cheaper as the latter would require you to pay 2x shipping. if you didn't want to pay the extra shipping i am more then happy to walk you through making you're own as it would be cheaper for you. if you had a camera to take pics to help with documentation that would be even better.

as long as you have the right materials and knowhow or at least the patience to learn you can build a multitude of things for yourself that are ab/dl/bf related. some of these things include harnesses and collars, paw cuffs, belts and carry straps all from the above listed materials. with the right fabric one can make their own footed/hooded/gloved pajamas or onsies and even PUL diaper covers and cloth diapers if you have the right material.

we seem to be a society that has moved to just buying everything ready made in stores and online, Ive found with just a small time investment I am able to make something much more personalized that will hold up much better and at a fraction of the cost. if anyone else has any good projects or patterns please post them up, its always fun to see new ideas and projects.