Thread: Tabletop RPGs.

Default Tabletop RPGs.

I have decided to delve into the world of tabletop RPGs, but I really do not know where to start.

It has always been a world I have been interested in diving deep within, as I know I would have a complete blast in there.

If I am to gather a couple of willing friends (I do have a couple of willing friends, actually), what are the first things I should purchase to get started?

D&D is obviously the starting point for most people. I never played it, but it always intrigued me.

Sorry for putting this in "off-topic", but seeing as this does not apply to video games, I assumed it did not belong in "Computer and Games". Actually, I'm not sure where this thread belongs.

Butterfly Mage

My first RPG was AD&D 2nd Edition. It was a real blast. I liked it enough that it inspired me to create a RPG of my own from scratch.

I started out with 2nd edition D&D. I prefer 3.5 myself, but I don't really play D&D anymore or any table top RPG's for that matter. I miss it honestly, just haven't found anyone in my area worth playing with.

my first tabletop rpg was called stormbringer i still have the books for it, but lately i've been thinking about going back to tabletop rpgs like vampires the masquerade

Still a game even if there isn't a computer involved, so moving the thread.

D&D is where a lot of people start, myself included many years ago. Not to speak ill of it for people who enjoy it but I've found (and made) other games more to my liking since. It really depends on what your interests are and those of the people who you can get to play since there's something for almost every interest and many that are easier to start with than D&D and cheaper besides. If you can find yourself a local game store, many of those allow and encourage customers to gather and play. This is a good way to test out a game before buying sinking a lot of money into it and since someone else will be running the show, you'll get a tutorial on how things can be run. Bear in mind that styles of play can vary quite a bit, so if you don't care for how one group of players deal with things, don't get discouraged about the entire hobby.

Minimal purchase would be a set of dice, covering the basic range of 4-sided (pyramid shaped), 6-sided (what everyone else thinks of when they think of dice), 8-sided, 10-sided, 12-sided, and 20-sided. If you hang out with other gamers, they'll probably let you borrow their dice but it's kind of a grudging courtesy as we get attached to our dice. Not all games use all of them but many make some use of them and it's good to be prepared unless you absolutely know they won't be needed.

I mostly play homemade games these days so I'm a little out of the loop as to the best to suggest for purchase. I have gotten some use out of this site recently and you may find something of interest here: - The Largest RPG Download Store!. Just as a shot in the dark, something tells me this might appeal to you: Call of Cthulhu - Chaosium |

Stormbringer that's a blast from the past. I loved that universe, but I thought the game was totally unbalanced. There were sorcerers, who once they had bound an elemental were awesome, and the other player characters were just demon fodder.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniuggledingo View Post
    my first tabletop rpg was called stormbringer i still have the books for it, but lately i've been thinking about going back to tabletop rpgs like vampires the masquerade
    Runequest and call of cthulhu were what we played most often. But its been so many years since I rolled a d20. I wouldn't know what games are popular now. Though last time I looked in a games store everything seemed to involve vampires and werewolves. Yawn!
    ( though the game I played once where we were Germans soldiers retreating from Russia, being hounded by partisan vampires, was seriously cool and scarey.)

Honestly, I'd say start with D&D 3.5 (or similarly d20 modern/future), it's easy enough to pick up if you play with experienced people and it'll cover most of the basic mechanics of tabletop rpgs, so other systems will be easier to learn later.

Although, personally, I think PDQ (Prose Descriptive Qualities) is a great system to build experience with story telling and the like , as a player or DM. Unfortunately, not many people are familiar with it, but the core rules are contained in a convenient 12 page pdf, unlike the large texts of other systems.

My favorite system is ShadowRun, sooooooooo much fun.