Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laptop Usability (It Sucks.)

Default Laptop Usability (It Sucks.)

So, here I am, forced to use this piece of crap dell laptop while I'm home for Christmas break, as my glorious desktop with its 22'' monitor and crud-covered but wonderfully usable keyboard and mouse sits idle in my dorm. I need to vent before I toss this piece of junk out my window - I swear, this touch pad was engineered for the sole purpose of being absolutely unusable.

So, anyone else hate laptops?

I love laptops, and will forever use them. Of course, I'll use a desktop, too.

Touchpads are useless; buy a mouse.
    Dell, like HP, is useless; do not buy them.

....Yup.

You have no right to vent about laptops sucking until you are told by your boss that you need to virtualize three Windows 2008 servers on a laptop that has 4 GB of ram and is running Windows 2008 R2 servers as the host OS... I can't even begin to explain how slow it was...

Well, being in college makes a laptop far more convenient, since I can take it to classes, meetings, and such. Touchpads are a major pain, though. I bought a USB mouse, which I found much easier to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshinori View Post
    I love laptops, and will forever use them. Of course, I'll use a desktop, too.

Touchpads are useless; buy a mouse.
    Dell, like HP, is useless; do not buy them.

....Yup.
    I did not buy a Dell - my mom did, originally for my grandfather who never actually used it, thus I ended up with it for college. She bought it against my advice, too - I told her to buy an ASUS, but apparently online shopping is too tough and she had to go to Best Buy and spend an absurd amount of money on this useless piece of junk.

Here's a good rated wireless mouse for 11.99 with free shipping on newegg. Newegg.com - Pixxo MA-W6G5 2.4 GHz Wireless Optical 1000 dpi Mouse

As for the keyboard, laptops keyboards are underrated. However touch pads will always suck compared to a mouse, unless you have a multi-touch touchpad/screen.

That said laptops aren't really designed to be as comfortable as desktops. Their made for working on the go, not watching full HD video of inception or the social network or playing Crysis on a plane. Which is why I prefer netbooks.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyAB View Post
    So, here I am, forced to use this piece of crap dell laptop while I'm home for Christmas break, as my glorious desktop with its 22'' monitor and crud-covered but wonderfully usable keyboard and mouse sits idle in my dorm. I need to vent before I toss this piece of junk out my window - I swear, this touch pad was engineered for the sole purpose of being absolutely unusable.

So, anyone else hate laptops?
    I love laptops. I'll likely never use a desktop again.

But, as far as trackpads go... I've never used a non-Apple trackpad that wasn't complete and utter crap. Back when PC manufactures were sticking little programs on the trackpad and more lights... and sections of the trackpad to be used for other things... Apple was doing multi-touch. Now there's two finger tap to right click... two finger drag to scroll... three finger swipe to alt-tab... four finger swipe to activate expose'.

Really, it's embarrassing. I'm one of those use whatever is most comfortable for you kind of people when it comes to gadgets/os/whatever (I use three operating systems every day) and all but... wow did Apple do the trackpad thing ridiculously better than anyone else. I prefer using my trackpad to a mouse unless I'm gaming.

On any other laptop though... give me a mouse before I throw the laptop across the room.

I like my laptop, except the battery is shot so I can't really use it as something portable anymore. I disagree with most on touchpads though, I have zero issue with the touchpad on mine. Hell I can play games on it even (its not as easy as with a USB mouse, but not that hard).

I actually love using my laptop, well actually all I ever do on it is roleplay, chat and watch anime. So I can't really say how much the touch pad sucks or rocks

Just borrowed a USB optical mouse from a desktop in another room - much better, though I'll have to remember to put it back.

I need to figure out how to disable the touchpad, though - I can manage typing on the tiny keyboard, but it's a lot harder when I accidentally hit the touchpad and delete half of whatever I was typing.