Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Depression?

Default Depression?

Hey guys and girls. I need yo ask a serious question about depression. I am very fortunate that I have never been diognosed or treated for depression. I really do not understand it and am looking for help and wonder why so many of my friends and relatives have been and are being treated for this illness that so many people seem to suffer from

I am well aware that depression can lead to serious consequences, but what leads to all of this

Please do not get me wrong as i realize stuff does go on that ppl do need to seek advice but in my family my daughter, my older sister my nephew and niece and various friends too. It's just concerning that's all!

it seems that everyone I come in contact with is on meds for this.

A lot of my family is too, myself included. I personally think it might have something to do with how complex life has become and all the new universal stressors that have been created in the past century or so.

I think everyone gets stressed and often feel down. Especially around hollidays. My family is just recovering from a loved one commiting suicide. Its a thing that no one should EVER go through. I am tired of my mom talking about it. It makes me feel horrible.

But learning to cope with these things are apart of life. And sometimes you need help. Of course, there are occasions where people just want a "pill" to fix everything. I say that you have learn what helps you to relax naturally sometimes. All elce fails get help.

In some cases, external stress lead to severe depression. In others, it is a genuine case of a chemical imbalance in the brain.

I lived with severe depression for most of my life, and while medications and therapy helped to a vast degree, I realized that I needed to take more action on my part to break the cycle. Of course, when I was severely depressed, I rebelled against everybody who tried to tell me that, and became resentful against them. I just had to be willing to make that step for myself for it to work.

The worst thing to do for a depressed person is trying to make him feel guilty over his or her depression. I know that sounds like obvious common sense, but my mother did her best to make me feel guilty over my depression, saying things like, "When you are suicidal, that makes me suicidal," or, on the opposite extreme, "You really have a great life, get over these infantile feelings!"

Yeah, really.

Don't know what else to add at this point, but I'll keep watching this thread.

im not entirely sure what causes mine. Ive never been diagnosed, but i know i have it... I have a prettty good handle on it, ya when its bad it's bad and other times it's like its not even there. Very few people in my everyday life are aware that i have it. Ya, im that good @ hiding it.

For me, and for most, it is a serotonin deficiency. As a result, I had very low lows and abnormally high highs; little things triggered really stupid low/high cycles and I held onto things for longer than I should have.

SSRIs are extremely helpful; I've been taking fluoxotine now and I have seen a substantial improvement. Counseling and drugs are really the best treatment. I've dealt with it for a long, long time, and it was not until my girlfriend broke up with me (long story; she really fucked things up and it was horrible to deal with) that I realized I had a serious, serious issue. I felt scatted, all of my emotions separated, and I had panic attacks nightly. I did not know what to do with myself and I could not stand it. I had felt that way before, but never to that extent. It was an absolutely horrible feeling that I would not even wish upon my worst enemies. And the worst part was, I could not make it go away no matter what I tried.

So right now, all is going better, though I am still trying actively to improve. There are a lot of benefits to SSRIs with few bad side effects. I'm still playing around with the dosage and it has been increasing, but it simply varies upon how much seratonin the person actually needs and how their brain developed.

It really sucks to deal with. It is highly genetic, many people have it, most do not understand when there is a problem. I was fortunate to have my logical mind tell me "Hey, there's really something wrong here, you need to fix this before something happens."

It's probably at least part genetic. One of the questions they ask you in screening is if any of your family have suffered with it.

Yeah, sure, there are people with actual chemical imbalances, but most of the time... they (health 'professionals') drug people (especially children) up at the first sign of a different personality.

For anybody saying that the 'best fix' is a pill... it's really not for everybody. I was on Prozac for around a year, and in that time, I couldn't feel anything, really. I didn't know what it was like to cry; only laugh like some kind of stepford smiler. My Grandmother died a few months after I was put on the drug, and I couldn't cry at her funeral or anything. I mean, shit... I used to be so emotional. I used to have a sense of empathy, and then I just completely lost it. To quote my friend "It was like the romantic and mother in you died." But then I got off of the pills and I'm back to being my cynical, yet feeling self. Not to mention that my once-lost sexual drive is back. Yes, my brain was happy on the Prozac. But I wasn't happy. I can never each equilibrium with everything that I know and everything that I see and I'd rather live life with that knowledge at the front of my brain than feel like a plastic doll. I mean, Barbie's a skinny bitch that instills a shit-ton of wrong on young girls, but I digress...

Trust me, it feels damn good to feel sadness. I've seen so much crap that I deserve to feel something.

Just my personal experience. (And don't even get me started on the experience I had with Seroquel. Sheesh, I was catatonic for a month before they took me off of it. And they only put me on it because of my spiritual beliefs.) The only thing I 'learned' from being on drugs is to either smile or act completely f'cking deadpan in a life-or-sanity situation. Either show 'happy' emotions or no emotions at all, depending on what they're trying to do to you.

tl;dr: I'm going to Hell, shotgun's taken... Anybody want the back seats?

Quote Originally Posted by Shukkume View Post
    Yeah, sure, there are people with actual chemical imbalances, but most of the time... they (health 'professionals') drug people (especially children) up at the first sign of a different personality.

For anybody saying that the 'best fix' is a pill... it's really not for everybody. I was on Prozac for around a year, and in that time, I couldn't feel anything, really. I didn't know what it was like to cry; only laugh like some kind of stepford smiler. My Grandmother died a few months after I was put on the drug, and I couldn't cry at her funeral or anything. I mean, shit... I used to be so emotional. I used to have a sense of empathy, and then I just completely lost it. To quote my friend "It was like the romantic and mother in you died." But then I got off of the pills and I'm back to being my cynical, yet feeling self. Not to mention that my once-lost sexual drive is back. Yes, my brain was happy on the Prozac. But I wasn't happy. I can never each equilibrium with everything that I know and everything that I see and I'd rather live life with that knowledge at the front of my brain than feel like a plastic doll. I mean, Barbie's a skinny bitch that instills a shit-ton of wrong on young girls, but I digress...

Trust me, it feels damn good to feel sadness. I've seen so much crap that I deserve to feel something.
    This. I was the same way. When I was younger, I was put on the same stuff (Prozac) and lost my personality (more or less). I was numb, I couldn't cry, I couldn't have emotions. It was terrible. No, I wasn't "sad", but I wasn't anything else either. Plus, I NEED to feel sad and cry sometimes, even if that meant I would mostly feel sad all the time. It was a trade off between no feelings and that. I didn't feel right without feelings and/or an ability to express them, so my choice was already made for me. I had to get off the stuff.

Some people have different experiences on these types of drugs and some people can live with these side effects. Some people may even need to. But I found a way to deal without them, which some people might say is sad or even dangerous when I get in my darker moods. But I can live with it and cope better than with the drugs. It took me a while, but I have a weird sort of balance going on I guess.

Point is, no drugs aren't for everyone. First off, some people are misdiagnosed and don't have clinical depression or the kind of depression that can be "fixed" with drugs. Others may not be able to deal with the side effects, whatever they might be.

This is a decision that must be made on an individual basis, with the help of friends/doctors/professionals/family or whatever might be necessary or not necessary for that particular person. I always say this and I'll say it again. Generalized statements are usually bad things. "Always" and "Never" are evil words in most cases. There are always exceptions out there.

Currently most of my moms side of the family (thankfully not my mom). Have suffered from depression. Mainly due to the fact that some of them smoke weed. (again, thankfully not my mom)

If your family are suffering from depression then it is most likely on a genetic level and is passed down. The only reason your not suffering from it would be because it skipped a generation.