Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Depression and going to the hospital

Default Depression and going to the hospital

I have been suffering from a severe and persistant mental illness for most of my life. Recently it's gotten quite bad and to the point of being almost intolerable.

I am very close to going to the hospital tomorrow and saying that I am suicidal. I've been fighting to get help for over a year and a half with no avail. I feel this is my last resort. What would they do to me if I were to do it?

Hospitals are no fun, but for your own safety, I say go to the hospital. I've gotten that bad with my depression before, and trust me, the alternative isn't any kind of good.

Please, if you are feeling depressed to the point you describe, you need to get some help from professionals. Even if you are not suicidal, they can help get you back on track to dealing with the depression.

There is nothing to be ashamed of for having a mental illness. Would you be ashamed of having a cold or the flu? Of course not. It is an illness, and can and needs to be treated to see improvement. Don't wait until tomorrow if you are feeling suicidal - go now.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. If you are feeling like you might hurt yourself, call 911. Do it right now. They can and will help you. If you need to find a crisis center in your area, go to this website Information | Centre for Suicide Prevention

Trust me, I have almost first hand experience with this. I say almost because I never felt this way, but my mom is a nurse and I have been semi-taught alot from her. My cousin was bi-polar and severely depressed. He wasn't suicidal but we got him to a hospital when he was manic. My 2nd cousin also suffers from depression, and knows first hand and has told me that it is temporary and she was glad that she had support and a safety net in going to a hospital in case she ever felt suicidal (she never has but she plans for the worst case scenario since she knows she is loved)

Yeah, I have true first-hand experience. I ought to be dead, but somehow I lived through a really bad overdose. That was the scariest moment in my life, and I'm glad I'm still alive. Get help, don't go through what I had to go through.

From recent first hand experience of my own, definitely go get some help if you feel you're going to lose control. If not it can hurt a lot of people around you even if you don't hurt yourself. Especially if a scene is made. :/ Much easier to just get some help.

I've already lived through an overdose. The pain in my stomach was the worst pain I have ever felt. Although I will have to admit that the drugs I took had some interesting side effects that I did enjoy (not a very good thing but I certainly wouldn't take them again to get those effects). If I were to try again to kill myself, I would do something more final. I really want to get help before it gets that bad again and before I have to go back to my parent's house for xmas. If I go back there and am feeling depressed, they will start to feel bad and blame it on themselves and cause a big scene and make my stress levels rise even higher. If I do go to the hospital, will they have any obligations to tell my family or friends about it? I really do not want my family knowing anything about me feeling bad.

If you're living on your own and are an adult I don't think they would. Not without your permission anyway..The only way I see them being notified is if the medical personnel feel that you have to stay at the hospital (they made my friend stay after he tried to kill himself) and when he was released his mother and brother were asked to monitor him closely.

Quote Originally Posted by ajthepie View Post
    I've already lived through an overdose. The pain in my stomach was the worst pain I have ever felt. Although I will have to admit that the drugs I took had some interesting side effects that I did enjoy (not a very good thing but I certainly wouldn't take them again to get those effects). If I were to try again to kill myself, I would do something more final. I really want to get help before it gets that bad again and before I have to go back to my parent's house for xmas. If I go back there and am feeling depressed, they will start to feel bad and blame it on themselves and cause a big scene and make my stress levels rise even higher. If I do go to the hospital, will they have any obligations to tell my family or friends about it? I really do not want my family knowing anything about me feeling bad.
    No. No no no no no. This is about YOU and YOUR well-being. Don't worry what your family will think, it's not their lives on the line, and I'm sure they'd prefer you act in your own best interests than risk taking your life.