Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why is bad music so popular?

Default Why is bad music so popular?

This is my opinion but, why is most of the music at the top of the charts so bad?? Let's take a look at who's on Billboard 100...
    Black Eyed Peas
    Ke$ha
    Far East Movement
    Flo Rida
    Lloyd
    Plus, the most viewed video on YouTube is a music video by none other than Ms. Prebubescant-I can't even write my own songs, oh, and I'm extremely narcissistic too!
    What do you guys think about the music biz these days?

The music at the top of the charts is there because it appeals to the most people. Obviously. Lots of people think it's good (or at least, catchy), buy it, and on it goes!

Just because it's at the top of the chart doesn't mean it's the only thing that's selling - it only means it's selling the best. There's still a lot of good music being made. I don't think this is anything new.

I had an epiphany about this the first time I ever went out clubbing. Bad music is popular because when you're drunk it sounds GOOD.

I'm not going to get mad at you, I'm just going to say they are the best *ing band ever. EVER. I don't care if you don't like their music style, their lyrics are genius.

Yeah I personally don't like Greenday either, but that's just me. Anyway, the music on the charts is not necessarily the music people like most rather, the music most people have a mutual interest in, because the bands people REALLY REALLY like are often not large in the mainstream, ie for me, Gorillaz.

Just a side note but I think that rap and music where people actually sing should have separate charts, because they are two completely different things (and rap is almost never original). Anyone agree with that?

Because all that appeals to the majority of people is a catchy chorus

I'm used to people telling me I have bad taste in music. I don't mind that all that much these days.

Slamming the musical tastes of others really is not going to get you very far.

That is all it boils down to. Personal preference.

I consider it to be generally immoral to slam another person's personal preferences in religion (provided it hurts nobody else) - why not extend the same courtesy in musical tastes? Most people do not try to force their music down my throat, after all. Live and let live!

Quote Originally Posted by KaworuVsDrWily View Post
    I'm used to people telling me I have bad taste in music. I don't mind that all that much these days.

Slamming the musical tastes of others really is not going to get you very far.

That is all it boils down to. Personal preference.

I consider it to be generally immoral to slam another person's personal preferences in religion (provided it hurts nobody else) - why not extend the same courtesy in musical tastes? Most people do not try to force their music down my throat, after all. Live and let live!
    I'm not trying to personally attack anyone's musical interests. I apologize if it came off that way.
    I don't have a problem if you personally listen to some of those bands I listed, I'm just speculating on how sooo many people can like music where the lyrics are poorly written?
    For example: I don't have a problem if you say you listen to Lady Gaga. However, if you start saying that she is an extremely talented artist and deserves all the attention she is getting, I start getting mystified.
    I apologize if I come off as being arrogant or close-minded.

Quote Originally Posted by greendaytbfreak View Post
    I'm not trying to personally attack anyone's musical interests. I apologize if it came off that way.
    I don't have a problem if you personally listen to some of those bands I listed, I'm just speculating on how sooo many people can like music where the lyrics are poorly written?
    For example: I don't have a problem if you say you listen to Lady Gaga. However, if you start saying that she is an extremely talented artist and deserves all the attention she is getting, I start getting mystified.
    I apologize if I come off as being arrogant or close-minded.
    You are entitled to your opinion.

Just like the person who says "Lady GaGa is extremely talented" is entitled to his opinion.

The only problem comes when people start saying the other person's opinion is wrong. That kind of emotional drivel is the work of arrogant politicians, not music fans.

I hope I didn't come across as too harsh. No, you did not come across as extremely arrogant or closed-minded, but I just felt like putting my half-cent worth into this thread anyway.