Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: a woman for president?

Default a woman for president?

OK, so the top women in either party (Hillary Clinton & Condi Rice - no NOT Sarah Palin) have both said they don't want to run for US President in 2012. So what woman would you like to see run instead and maybe even win?

---------- Post added at 01:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 AM ----------

I'd like to see my governor, Christine Gregoire, run for President. She's smart, tough, experienced. She has balanced the state budget even in these recession years. She has worked to get money for roads & transit across this state. She knows how to work with big city and small town people as well as industry, agriculture, etc. Washington is a very diverse state, and she has done well in her 8 years as Attorney General and 7 years as governor. I believe that with her wit & grit, she could do very well as our first female president. (But I doubt she'll run. Rumor has it she could be picked by Obama to replace Supreme Court Justice Kagan as the next Solicitor General. Time will tell....)
    Last edited by seattlebabyboy; 12-Dec-2010 at 09:45. Reason: rewording

Well thats American politics, so I don't know how people get selected and stuff like that there.
    But truly it doesn't matter if the person is male or female (or even for some rare cases both), it all depends on the person them selfs, as what you said tough experienced and smart (not in order I know), someone who can run that position well or better than well is great and someone who cant isn't great. Giving special attention or even the opposite, to a person because of their gender just doesn't seem right. So if she gets voted or picked or however it works for you, because shes female, wouldn't be right, but if she didn't get picked/voted because shes female, that isn't right either.

All in all, if shes a good leader for that position, then hope she gets picked, and if shes not, then I hope she becomes one or doesn't get picked.

Well of course Hilary doesn't want to run for President in 2012. She's part of the Obama administration so it's incredibly unlikely she challenges him. The only way she runs in 2012 is if Obama resigns or chooses not to seek reelection- and I'm not sure if there's ever been a case of a one-term incumbent not doing so.

If she intends to make another run, it'll be in 2016. She'll either be the masthead to reclaim the White House from the republicans or she'll be set up by Obama as the heir apparent.

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

So in short, I don't particularly want to see a woman run for the democratic side in 2012. I have no expectations that one with a legitimate chance of securing the nomination will do so. In all likelihood, the best a primary challenger could do to Obama will be to give him a few black eyes and make him spend some of his campaign treasury on infighting on the road to the eventual nomination. Do note that this isn't a gender bias.

On the republican side, some combination of Sarah Palin/Michelle Bachmann/Christine O'Donnell for the ticket would make my day.

I couldn't care less whether or not a woman runs for president. I also couldn't care less if a man ran for president. The sex of the candidate doesn't make any difference to me.

Hillary claims this is her last public office. There's no serious chance she runs in 2012, and 2016 is really a question of whether she's ready to retire (she'll be 69). We tend to forget that, in light of 90-year-old senators and campaigns by John McCain, that committing to possibly 8 years of the highest-energy political office in the land is not something that appeals to that many of our senior citizen politicians.

Condolezza Rice has made zero noise about running, which she would have by now if she had any plans to even potentially run.

Sarah Palin will most likely run. She cannot realistically win the general election. It is possible that she does get the Republican nomination, though the field is wide enough that there isn't a front-runner right now. If she gets the nomination, it'll be a political gift to the Democrats of generational significance, and her utter failure would cause the party to reconsider its current scorched-earth march to the far right.

Giving any politician credit for having a state with a balanced budget in the current economic environment really doesn't mean anything. The shock to the system has been so strong that those that don't have budget problems are lucky even if they were previously fiscally responsible.

NightFox - are you serious? O'Donnell/Palin? Are you quite certain you want a religious coup from the neo-conservative wing? I mean, we haven't had enough neo-con dominance of the GOP yet?

Kat Albrecht would make an awesome president. So would Barbara Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by WBDaddy View Post
    NightFox - are you serious? O'Donnell/Palin? Are you quite certain you want a religious coup from the neo-conservative wing? I mean, we haven't had enough neo-con dominance of the GOP yet?

Kat Albrecht would make an awesome president. So would Barbara Anderson.
    I don't know of Kat Albrecht or Barbara Anderson (and google searching turned up false positives), so I can't comment. That's probably more on me than on them. I typically spend more time following personalities on the left, so my knowledge of conservative personalities is limited to nationally elected officials, pundits, and crazies.

Anyhoo, O'Donnell/Palin are my female picks because they don't have a chance in hell of winning. The main problem is that aside from Palin (and possibly Condi), what women are poised to make a run at the 2012 nomination? I don't know of any, with the possible exception of Michelle Bachmann. I bring her up as she's the one woman aside from Palin in the world of politics who I think has a big enough national profile to launch a campaign and be taken seriously.

Besides, as a democrat, O'Donnell was one thing that made this year's cycle fun. :P

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by NutFreeFruitcake View Post
    Sarah Palin will most likely run. She cannot realistically win the general election. It is possible that she does get the Republican nomination, though the field is wide enough that there isn't a front-runner right now. If she gets the nomination, it'll be a political gift to the Democrats of generational significance, and her utter failure would cause the party to reconsider its current scorched-earth march to the far right.
    Palin lost the SRLC straw poll this last Spring to Mitt Romney, who I think would have had the nomination in 2008 if not for McCain's last-minute surge. Considering he hasn't had any major foul ups and that last time he ran mostly on the shitty economy, he can easily dust off his last campaign material and still be incredibly relevant. So he's in. And I think Huckabee could also make a run.

I also wonder if Giuliani has given up elected office for good.

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

Honestly, I have nightmares about Chris Christie launching a Presidential bid.

I'm personally with Keith Olbermann on this - while seeing a woman president would be nice, I do NOT want Palin to run, simply because while she would _probably_ lose, she _might_ win, and that is really not a chance anyone should be comfortable with taking. That being said, I don't really see her running, she makes far too much money as a personality, and she doesn't have staying power given how she resigned the Alaska governorship.

2012 won't be a year for Democratic women, because it will be Obama trying to keep the White House. Maddow/Olbermann 2016 anyone?

Sarah Palin won't run. Even she sees the writing on the wall. She will be much more successful being the figurehead for the populist, social conservative wing of the republicans. She knows this. So whilst she talks about running and such, she won't. Clinton probably won't either. If Obama wins a 2nd term, it would be 2016 before she could run. I think she'll be tired of public life by then, and decide to call it quits. She'll remain a force (a la Newt Gingrich), but her days of campaigning will be over. She had her shot in 2008, and she blew it.

I really don't see any woman that might challenge for president in 2012. 2016 is a long, long ways off, so someone might rise then. Nikki Haley seems somewhat promising, but she might have too much baggage for a serious presidential run. I know quite a few conservative intellectuals that are rather tired of the right wing populism put out by the present republican establishment, and would welcome a Condi Rice run. But you wonder if America will accept 2 black presidents in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewNo2 View Post
    Maddow/Olbermann 2016 anyone?
    Only in my nightmares, son. Only in my nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    I don't know of Kat Albrecht or Barbara Anderson (and google searching turned up false positives), so I can't comment. That's probably more on me than on them.
    Kat Albrecht
    Barbara Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    Palin lost the SRLC straw poll this last Spring to Mitt Romney, who I think would have had the nomination in 2008 if not for McCain's last-minute surge. Considering he hasn't had any major foul ups and that last time he ran mostly on the shitty economy, he can easily dust off his last campaign material and still be incredibly relevant. So he's in. And I think Huckabee could also make a run.
    I wouldn't mind a Romney/Giuliani ticket for 2012's GOP race. I voted for Romney last time and was more pissed off McCain got the GOP ticket more then I was about obama winning the general election. Mike Huckabee was a distant 3rd and if he would of dropped out like he should have Mitt would of won. Plus if huckabee runs in 2012 EVERYONE will have a field day against fox news. McCain won't run again and sara should have declined the VP spot due to lack of experience.

Right now, to me Romney is the only clear candidate for 2012 and is liberal enough to actually work with liberals unlike mcCain, hukeabee, palin, christine, etc. Not to mention, he hasn't had a job at Fox News.