Thread: Diving Diapers

Default Diving Diapers

I heard that deep sea divers wear diapers because entering and exiting the water takes a long time. I'd imagine they use a special kind, but what exactly do they use?

Deep sea divers usually have several layers to keep their body completely dry. They just use diapers...Normal diapers. Nothing really special, anything will work. I think I'd go with something that isn't plastic because it'd rub and make ouchies on the inside of your legs fast. I guess just anything to handle a good wetting.

There are diapers like the Discovery Trek which are designed for water use. Do they use those?

I am a certified Master Diver - I remember my instructor back in college used to joke about how he had seriously considered 'wearing some depends' when talking about his drysuit. He would wear a couple layers of thermal underwear under his drysuit - which is entered through a zipper that runs from armpit to armpit across the chest (NOT easy to get in/out). Given that dives can last the better part of of an hour (or more depending on the type of dive/diver) and that it takes a good 20 minutes to fully wrestle out of all the gear, diapers would probably be a great idea. These units are made up of pretty heavy duty pvc plastic with rubber gaskets around the legs, arms, and neck - much warmer than a neoprene wetsuit but the downside is that you can't pee to warm yourself up I've never really used one because they are expensive - I just go for the 7mm neoprene with added 'natural body warmer'.

On an episode of Dirty Jobs Mike Rowe was helping clean out the edges of a lake and was wearing a dry suit and he asked some of the other workers how they went to the bathroom while wearing one for they are awful to get into and out of. One of the workers replied that he wore Depends and Mike told him that he wished he had told him before.

If you are doing decompression diving, you can be in the water for hours! Just hanging around at twenty feet waiting for the nitrogen to leave your blood stream.
    The only options are diapers or this bizzare arrangement with a condom catheter, piping and one way valves.
    I have read that some divers prefer the diapers, because they are more reliable. After all if the catheter comes free, there is no way that you can adjust it in a drysuit.
    I have no idea what women do though. I guess diapers might be the only choice.

Interesting topic, I always wondered that as well.