Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tragic content in movies / music / games / books

Default Tragic content in movies / music / games / books

A few months ago, I started a thread (now dead) talking about disturbing content.

Now, I am talking about tragic and otherwise very sad content instead. I guess this means nobody is going to let me choose the movies at the Fun Film Festival anytime soon.

Requiem for a Dream - I was a total emotional wreck after I saw that film time, and it still brings me to tears every time I see it. Guess I won't be watching it on a regular basis.

Sid & Nancy had the same effect on me.

Sophie's Choice. Need I really say more about that one?

Three Extremes is not usually mentioned as being a tragic film, but I consider Takashi Miike's contribution to it (Box) to be a brutally honest statement about the nature of childhood sexual abuse. It's incredibly tragic.

Grave of the Fireflies. I once seriously contemplated ending a friendship because this woman claimed she felt no sympathy for the kids who starved to death in this film ("They should have stayed with their aunt and acted responsibly! He murdered his sister by running away!"). Yeah, really.

When it comes to tragedy in books - I really have not read that much tragedy in books, considering that most of the books I read while growing up were trashy horror novels.

For tragedy in video games, look no further than the dream stories in Lost Odyssey. Bright Rain and Signpost, in particular, really struck out to me.

I also consider Kratos to be a tragic character, but that's just me.

And, here's a tragic song to end the first post in this thread.

What about Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows? Those both had some sad (possibly tragic?) endings .

And there is a bunch of Shakespeare that is tragic. Not sure if it was considered a tragedy, but MacBeth was tragic in the way of seeing what power can cause a man to do (my opinion anyways).

Lenny in Memento always seemed like a bit of a tragic character (again IMO).

Outside of that, can't really think of anything, especially game wise, I'm sure there are plenty adventure games out there from the 90s that had tragic themes to them though.

I always feel sad for Lucas Kane in Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit, though still haven't finished the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Howl View Post
    What about Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows? Those both had some sad (possibly tragic?) endings .
    I remember there was one strip of Garfield where the fat cat claimed to love Old Yeller because it "had a happy ending", but that's Garfield for you. I can't imagine Garfield making a comment like that in any recent strip, though.

For video games, a good recent one with what could be considered a tragic ending
    I loved playing this game and the story arc was of a quality that you don't see that often.

Earthbound's ending has and always will have a place in my heart as one of the most emotional games of my life.

If you've played it, you'll understand.

Awww.. it cut out the best part "No.... don't leave me."

then the credits roll.

Anyways in terms of music. I haven't really seen a band that plays as much depressing music as Bright Eyes led by Conor Oberst, well expect possibly everclear. Here's a slew of tragic (I think anyway) songs.

so yeah hide any guns, sharp objects, medication, alcohol, etc etc etc.

Last edited by Fire2box; 12-Dec-2010 at 06:27.

I will add David Cronenberg's Crash to this list.

Yeah, that is the film about people who are sexually turned on by car crashes. But hear me out.

If you take out all of the car crash content in that film, you are left with a story of sexual addicts who go to further and further extremes to find the next big high. It really is an incredibly bleak and tragic picture. They are living with a spiritual void within them, and they are dealing with it the only way they know how, and that way is not working.

Up's opening has managed to bring me on the edge of tears both times I saw it, despite having no dialogue and being there only to give a motivation to the main character's actions.

Quote Originally Posted by KaworuVsDrWily View Post
    I will add David Cronenberg's Crash to this list.
    My first reaction to that post was "gosh, I really don't remember Crash being anything like that". And then wikipedia told me there where like 5 movies called Crash ^^'.

Marley and Me. - the Ending
    .... i knew EXACTLY what was going to happen, yet i bawled my eyes out.

Bridge to Terrabithia- The End
    .. once again, i bawled.

Click -

All So tragic