Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alcoholism...

Default Alcoholism...

Just wondering if anyone else here might be dealing with the same problems as me... I am an alcoholic, and am very much aware of it. I just find that no matter what I do, I just can't stop... Even though I know what I'm doing is wrong, my mind tells me it's ok, and totally worth it... Has anyone else here dealt or been dealing with something similar??? I am desperate for some insight, and maybe some personal experiences that may help me find my way...

More info probably necessary.

I'm a chronic drinker, but I wouldn't call myself an "alcoholic" - I don't get the shakes if I skip a couple days, but there is always that little voice in the back of my head saying "You (need/deserve/want/have earned/insert excuse here) a couple 40's - fuck it, go get 'em".

The big question for you is, does your desire for alcohol supercede all else? If so, it's time to get help. Me, I'm managing. Sure, that's not a great place to be, but I'm also working my way away from that, as it's finally started to affect my sexual performance, which is a big enough deal to me to do something about it.

I'm probably right there with you, honestly. I drink entirely too heavily. I find I can step down off the stuff over the course of a week or so, but then I take a drink a few weeks later and I get worked back up. It's a vicious cycle for me.

Well, I don't drink, but my father has been a recovering alcoholic for longer than I have been alive. My uncle, however, has been an alcoholic this whole time, and continues to drink, in spite of some now pretty nasty health problems.

Ultimately, what makes the biggest difference is not going it on your own. One of the biggest steps towards being able to successfully recover from addiction is realizing that you will need to also rely on the support of others, that it is something that will require more than just your own resources. That is where AA comes in, and I would recommend people consider that if they are serious about quitting. You have to want to quit though, and be ready to make changes, otherwise you just simply aren't ready.

It's a big decision to make, I'm sure, but it's better than letting things get to the point where you end up being sent to a rehab center on a court mandate.

Good luck to those who are actively struggling with addictions and are wanting to recover, though.

I respectfully disagree with you, spddan. AA works for people who have hit the true clinical definition of "alcoholic" - see Edgar Allen Poe for more info.

For the rest of us, an AA meeting is a very effective vehicle to depressing us to the point where we need a damned drink when we leave the place. I know from experience - attending hundreds of them as a teenager as part of court-mandated psychiatric treatment.

My family is rife with addiction. Grandma: addiction. Biological father: drank himself to death by age 45. Mom: heroin, crack and alcohol. Stepfather: crack and alcohol. Two of my aunts: financial comfort (that sounds weird, but when you're with a guy who berates you verbally and you don't love for 20+ years, something's gone awry). My biological grandfather: child molestation (he was out of the picture by the time I was born). My brother: an amazing amount of cigarettes and alcohol.

Me? I'm basically genetically engineered to be the perfect addict. Rather than getting hangovers, I feel better the day after I drink. I wasn't mentally impaired by any of the drugs I did as a teen. I thrived on things that made my friends obvious dopey drug addicts. lol

The thing that made me get away from that life was looking around at all my friends, usually while I was high: where were these people going to be in 10 years? Nowhere. I didn't see a single one of them breaking out of their addictions and making something of themselves. I don't like a lot of the conclusions that the 17 year-old version of me came to, but that was one where my instincts were right on. None of those guys has a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of, as the vernacular goes. Also...on a level, I knew it wasn't natural for someone to feel so good doing so many bad things to their body. So I got out of it.

It wasn't easy. I'd been on drugs since I was 15, and I had numerous false starts on my sobriety...eventually, getting into college and having something to concentrate on led me out of that whole thing. Maybe you're like me and you need a good reason to quit, something you don't want to fuck up with your addiction. Having a reason to live isn't overrated in the least. -grin-

for me alcoholism/being an addict is all about me not dealing with things i cant handle. lots of childhood things, traumatic things etc. im not sure thats sort of the case for you but if you're chemically dependent and want off, go see your doctor for adivice. coming off can cause seisures. its not fun coming off alcohol, i had tremors for about six days straight plus other things. wish you the best in your recovery.

I think that by not having ready access to alcohol, it would be the first step. If you can reach for it, or get it from the next room, it's hardly going to help you resist drinking it. Next, budget your money to not leave much of a void for alcohol spending to fill. Also, try to do more activities in the evenings with friends, which will keep you from getting drunk as many days as you maybe are now because you will not be able to drink after school, and after being with your friends you will be busy with homework or work or both. Oh yeah, getting a job while it will lead to more money you will have to control, can also burn up a lot of time you might have otherwise spent drinking.

If you end up drinking...maybe you could find a 40%+ that tastes really, really makes you gag nasty. Then at least you might not enjoy it as much.

Butterfly Mage

Both of my parents are alcoholics. My sister had a pretty serious drug problem for several years and my brother is in all likelihood an alcoholic. I don't drink, but I know that it would be all too easy to become an alcoholic because of my genetics and upbringing.