Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to use as a diaper pail?

Default What to use as a diaper pail?

A part of me is contemplating going back to cloth diapers. It's my preference, and it's less expensive in the long run of things.

But, if I were to do it, I would need to figure out what to use as a pail. When I did it before, I used a standard diaper pail, but the scent seeped out of it and overwhelmed my closet very easily, even when I was making it a point to wash the contents every third day.

What would work as an adult cloth diaper pail that is good at keeping the smeels contained within it? I plan on keeping it in one of my closets, which will work great (especially now that my mother very rarely visits me at my current place - if she doesn't visit, she can't rummage and dig through my closets when I'm not looking - WIN!).

If I'm going to do it, I may as well do it right.

Perhaps one of those large clothes "organizer" things? You know...like a Tupperware container, only big enough to put clothes in? -grin-

I think the only thing that will work like a diaper pail is a diaper pail. A clothes hamper or anything else isn't going to keep smells in: I know you can get adult sized ones online, but they start at like $80.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderhair View Post
    I think the only thing that will work like a diaper pail is a diaper pail. A clothes hamper or anything else isn't going to keep smells in: I know you can get adult sized ones online, but they start at like $80.
    OK, if I am expected to spend that much, what brands are worth the dough?

Quote Originally Posted by KaworuVsDrWily View Post
    OK, if I am expected to spend that much, what brands are worth the dough?
    I have never had a diaper pail, so I cannot tell you. There are some older members on here that I'm sure can tell you what to get.

Why not just use a tupperware trash container with a good-quality pail liner and a deodorizer? Also, they have enzyme sprays that you can spray inside of the diaper before you put it in the pail to eat away bacteria, therefore making it not as stinky and gross. Something like this.

Hmmm........ It looks like I also need to ask where a good business to purchase quality cloth diapers is.

The two places I purchased them from before (this was eight years ago) now no longer have functioning online stores and may very well be out of business.

I've tried flannel and birdseye - and birdseye wins, IMO.

Looks like I'm looking at a bit of an investment here. But then again, I haven't been diapered in months, and I am kinda itching to get back into them.

I'm in agreement about the large tupperware, thats what I have for a diaper pail and it works well for my cloth diapers and I wash them every other or every third day. The other thing I do to help keep the smell down is rinse my diapers. This works well for me cause I wear cloth diapers pretty much every night and pretty much only at night. When I get up in the morning I wear them until I go to take a shower. I take them off and rinse the diapers and boosters in the tub. This removes the vast majority of the urine, and there by the smell then they do just fine in the diaper pail for a couple days without making my room stink.

I good place to get quality diapers is babyKINS.

How about a 5 gallon bucket? I toss mine in my washing machine, hit cold rinse and leave the lid up so it doesn't drain. After a few days when most of my diapers are in there I run the load and start over.
    Lately disposables saved me all that effort.
    Sorry Mother Earth...

I use a diaper pail I bought online from Adult Cloth Diaper. I think I've had it for six years, or something like that. I paid around $50. But, before that, I went through your dilemma. There are two good things about a "real" adult sized diaper pail as opposed to a kitchen sized trash can. First, the diaper pail has a firm lid that keeps odors in. Most kitchen sized garbage cans (which is about the size you want) have flimsy lids. Second, just inside the diaper pail there is a slot to place deodorizer tabs, if you use them. By the way, I've never tried them, but I know Adult Cloth Diaper also has diaper pail liners that are reusable.

Good places to buy adult cloth diapers are Adult Cloth Diaper, Babykins, Angel Fluff, Fetware and Changing Times. All these places also sell quality plastic pants. The investment initially is enormous, but pays off over time. Note: I always recommend buying only one diaper at a time until you find the one you want (same thing for plastic pants).