Thread: Drinking only formula for a week

Default Drinking only formula for a week

So I've decided to try and live off of infant formula for a week. I figure if babies can do it for months, why can't I for a much shorter time? From what I understand it's recommended that they don't even drink water when they're born so I'm not even going to do that... It sounds kind of crazy and I sort of think it is too... But I think I could actually save money on this, which would be nice.

I started early this morning and I honestly feel a little weird at this point but it's no big deal. I've only gone a day with doing it before. But at that time I was still drinking water and I had some baby food as well.

I've never really done any sort of long fasting before, so I'm sort of wondering if I'll accidentally eat or drink something. If all hell breaks loose and I really feel terrible then I'm going to stop after three days.

And I probably should have asked if this was a bad idea first, but I don't see it being life-threatening...

crazykittensmile

I don't think it will be life-threatening, but it will not be good for your health. A baby's digestive system and nutritional needs are really different from an adults, they need completely different proportions of vitamins and minerals to adults. Baby formula is very high in fat and very low on fibre. You will probably find it screws with your bowels. I also would recommend drinking water - it's only very young babies who shouldn't have water to avoid them filling up on it and becoming malnourished. As an adult you don't need to worry about that, so drink some water to ensure you don't become dehydrated.

I would try to supplement the baby formula with baby food or mashed fruit etc so that you get the vitamins, minerals and fibre that you need. I'm sure you could live on baby food and formula for a week, if you chose your meals carefully, but eating nothing but formula really doesn't seem a good idea. Plus it is really expensive! Which brand are you using? Take a look at the nutritional information, and compare it against an adults recommended daily allowance for different vitamins and minerals etc. How much are you going to need to drink to keep yourself healthy?

I understand the want to try and do things that make you feel little, but I'm not sure doing something that will likely make you feel tired, hungry and possibly sick is a good way to do so. This just sounds to me like something that is going to make you ill, particularly as you already say you feel weird after just one day.

Quote Originally Posted by babyjess View Post
    I don't think it will be life-threatening, but it will not be good for your health. A baby's digestive system and nutritional needs are really different from an adults, they need completely different proportions of vitamins and minerals to adults. Baby formula is very high in fat and very low on fibre. You will probably find it screws with your bowels. I also would recommend drinking water - it's only very young babies who shouldn't have water to avoid them filling up on it and becoming malnourished. As an adult you don't need to worry about that, so drink some water to ensure you don't become dehydrated.

I would try to supplement the baby formula with baby food or mashed fruit etc so that you get the vitamins, minerals and fibre that you need. I'm sure you could live on baby food and formula for a week, if you chose your meals carefully, but eating nothing but formula really doesn't seem a good idea. Plus it is really expensive! Which brand are you using? Take a look at the nutritional information, and compare it against an adults recommended daily allowance for different vitamins and minerals etc. How much are you going to need to drink to keep yourself healthy?

I understand the want to try and do things that make you feel little, but I'm not sure doing something that will likely make you feel tired, hungry and possibly sick is a good way to do so. This just sounds to me like something that is going to make you ill, particularly as you already say you feel weird after just one day.

this is very good advice.

well put jess.

Take a look at the nutritional information, and compare it against an adults recommended daily allowance for different vitamins and minerals etc. How much are you going to need to drink to keep yourself healthy?
    Good point. I don't really want to be stupid about this. Number crunching as we speak.

Caloric intake for a baby is quite different, so the amount of calories you get from formula (not to mention the difference in the vitamins and nutrients) would not be very good for an adult. Even the highest calorie formulas for newborns are only about 24 calories per ounce. For an adult on a 1500 calorie a day diet (about the minimum), that equates to about 62 ounces of formula, or almost a half gallon, a day just for caloric intake. Again, the nutrient balances are going to be quite different as well.
    Last edited by closet dl; 05-Dec-2010 at 20:13. Reason: left out a word

So I made the spreadsheet of all the nutritional things it listed:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CMr_xKsN

So you can probably tell that drinking formula is really unrealistic for getting basically all of your nutritional needs. After getting rid of the nutrients that make the amount of bottles I need to drink astronomically high, I would still be consuming 18-20 9 oz. bottles per day, or 3,240-3,600 calories... Which is honestly a bit ridiculous. But I seem to get my daily water requirement after just 8, so that's good. Is there any nutrient/vitamin/element that I'm missing?

ps. This is Enfamil Newborn formula (tastes a lot better than the infant formula).
    pss. Forgot about fiber... I could probably take supplements right?
    Last edited by growlycub; 05-Dec-2010 at 21:15.

crazykittensmile

Quote Originally Posted by growlycub View Post
    So you can probably tell that drinking formula is really unrealistic for getting basically all of your nutritional needs. After getting rid of the nutrients that make the amount of bottles I need to drink astronomically high, I would still be consuming 18-20 9 oz. bottles per day, or 3,240-3,600 calories... Which is honestly a bit ridiculous. But I seem to get my daily water requirement after just 8, so that's good. Is there any nutrient/vitamin/element that I'm missing?
    The only element I can see you missing is fibre, although I'm no nutritionist so perhaps there are others.

Anyway, you've certainly done your research! I agree that looking at that it seems very unrealistic, particularly as for some vitamins you'd need to drink over 50 bottles a day! I certainly think you should consider doing some research into baby food next, look at different babyfood brands and flavours and see if any of them are high in the nutrients that the formula contains less of, so that you can perhaps supplement your formula with them, and hopefully aren't consuming so many calories too.

The only element I can see you missing is fibre, although I'm no nutritionist so perhaps there are others.

Anyway, you've certainly done your research! I agree that looking at that it seems very unrealistic, particularly as for some vitamins you'd need to drink over 50 bottles a day! I certainly think you should consider doing some research into baby food next, look at different babyfood brands and flavours and see if any of them are high in the nutrients that the formula contains less of, so that you can perhaps supplement your formula with them, and hopefully aren't consuming so many calories too.
    Yes, very very true... It also works out that a whole $22 container of formula is about 10 oz. short of 18 bottles a day. If I didn't want to be completely unhealthy and gain a bunch of weight I would need to exercise my butt off (burn the carbs and the large amounts of fat) and take a bunch of supplements. All to pay a ton of money to drink some fairly nasty milk substitute. So yeah... I may just make this into a week of formula/baby food as suggested lol.

If you're going to do this, then I highly recommend adding baby food along with formula. Drink too much formula with nothing else, you may find that you gain weight, though maybe 1-3 bottles a day probably wouldn't hurt you. Drink too little, though, you may find that you're not getting the nutrients that you need. Baby food could make a good suppliment there, in that case.
    I'm worked a lot of this out myself, actually, because I added formula and baby food into my diet as well. Not giving up all adult food, but there's no need to go exclusively one way or the other, is there? Besides, with my crappy apetite, it helps when I can't stomach solids ^.^
    Good luck to you, though