Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I feel like I haven't accomplished much...

Default I feel like I haven't accomplished much...

I saw that one facebook movie and since then I felt horrible about myself. The guy who made facebook did it while he was my age and.... *sigh* I'm just wasting time or something Idunno.... I'm a good programmer and I love what I do.... But I don't know....

I'm engaged and plan to be married in JUL 2012, have a wonderful fiancee, have a good family life comfortable with who I am, and overall have a good life... but I just don't feel accomplished lately, which is odd since I'm among the youngest PRO photographers in my area and I'm the youngest Master Photographer.... But I don't know I just don't feel accomplished lately....

I mean I even have my own website and have 536 video games, I've played many helped people with thier PC's, built PC's, Fixed consoles for people, fixed many many things. Helped my dad with his mustang and I also drive my entire family around and I'm in college and what not...

See this feeling kind of started even worse when my sister had some friends over who had a band and well they were actually good.... talented and what not. I just don't know why I feel like this.... I feel like I've wasted time or something... *sigh* I just don't know.... I just needed to vent this or something.... any advice? I mean this winter break I plan on starting a video game and learning programming and jump starting my video game career....

I honestly want to start my own video game company and all that stuff but... I just feel overwhelmed I feel like I can't really achieve my dream of making video games or anything.... I dunno...

BTW I also feel bad about not being able to find a job. Been looking for 6 months don't even get called for an interview... So yeah maybe this is attributing to it?
    Last edited by dragsnick; 02-Dec-2010 at 05:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawcross View Post
    The guy who made Facebook is also a crook.
    Aside the point they are people younger then I who have done more stuff... why's he a crook anyway?

I've been there Dragn, and it's a slippery slope to feeling even more depressed.

I've felt like I've accomplished very little too at my age (you've got more done in your life than I have - I don't like to go into detail). Jobhunting can be extremely defeating and yes, it's definitely attributing to that feeling. Remember though the job market out there is terrible for everyone - you aren't alone in that arena!

A bad problem with us maybe is that we keep looking at pages we've already turned. We keep getting forced by nonsense to keep looking at our past when the future means a thousand times more. It's more or less up to us to fill up the pages instead of turning more pages worrying about the ones we didn't fill. Am I even close?

Have you eaten food today?

I found that if I forget to eat meals I feel a lot stronger about little things that would not normally bother me.

If it says any thing... im only a 7th grader :3 technically... sooo.. i guess i can relate i dont think im that special either but theres nothing wrong with doing wat u can... dont needa be fancy or glorfied to be happy...

towards jobs maybe you need to review your approaches to finding a job and look at different ways of doing it and stuff.

Our teachers in Elementary school always told us we would grow up to do great things, and we were all special.

They were bloody wrong.

Most of us will get a 40hr/wk job, make a middling wage, have 2.2 children, retire at 65, and die. Most of us won't do anything special or unique. We're just another cog in the machine of Humanity.

I've struggled with this problem a lot recently. the only solution is time and caring friends. You're doing well by acknowledging all the good u do instead of just sitting around thinking negative thoughts. as stupid as it sounds, sit down one day and think of the things u kinda regret not doing. it will hurt A LOT, but u need it. now, think of all the good things u've accomplished. no matter wat they'll always pail in comparison, but trust me, u need this.

now after thinking long and hard about ur life (and maybe even crying out a few problems) you need to use those regrets as motivation. make urself goals of the things u have accomplished and expand on them. or make up entirely new goals. then just keep pushing urself forward until ur out of ur funk. quitting any experimenting with drugs/alcohol helps too (I've regrettfully had previous experience in all these areas)

Things aren't as easy as listing them out though and saying "im gonna do it!"

You need reinforcement. talk to ur close friends and tell them how ur feeling. if they really care about u, then they'll usually try to shower you with comforting praise (girls r better about this than guys). If i look at something i've done before, i'll criticize it and make myself feel bad. but thats when i talk to my friends. they tell me that they enjoy things which i've downright hated and it puts everything in a new light. there's something about social reaction and approval which makes someone feel so much better about themselves.

Once u've done all of these, ull probably still feel a little down. So, when thats the case, dress up and regress. remove all the worries from ur head and eventually, try and sleep with that state of mind. ull wake up feeling refreshed and totally new. try and continue the cycle until ur fogged brain clears up a bit and life looks a little better.

I wish i could give u more solid advice, but this is the only thing i could do during my depression. life is a lot more clear to me lately, and i'm a lot happier than usual

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by FadeLB View Post
    A bad problem with us maybe is that we keep looking at pages we've already turned. We keep getting forced by nonsense to keep looking at our past when the future means a thousand times more. It's more or less up to us to fill up the pages instead of turning more pages worrying about the ones we didn't fill. Am I even close?
    You hit the nail on the head and did so in an insightful and eloquent manner. kudos to an awesome observation! =D

It's simple, there's no such thing as failure. You haven't accomplished what some other guy has? No biggie. You didn't succeed at what you wanted to do? Don't worry about it. Another thing that the educational system and capitalism have implanted in our minds is the idea that you can truly fail. Sure, things might not work out, and maybe it's even your fault sometimes, but why worry about it? Just try your best and do what you want. You feel me?

Quote Originally Posted by sparkmaster View Post
    Our teachers in Elementary school always told us we would grow up to do great things, and we were all special.

They were bloody wrong.

Most of us will get a 40hr/wk job, make a middling wage, have 2.2 children, retire at 65, and die. Most of us won't do anything special or unique. We're just another cog in the machine of Humanity.
    Exactly and there is really nothing wrong with that its the way of the world. I think a lot of it is a byproduct of post industrial economy all the sky sharpers and great achievements have already happened all the rest of us can hope for is a little happiness however you define happiness. Dreams are wonderful things to have but we all have to pay the rent.

Just remember that in spite of what modern society tells you fame for the sake of being famous is equally pointless. if you really think you can do something Surround yourself with positive people not "I'm positive I can jump off Hover Dam with no ill effects positive" but someone that genuinely wants you to succeed in what you set out to do.