Thread: Napping at Work?

Default Napping at Work?

Why Power Naps at Work Are Catching On - US News and World Report

Falling asleep on the job may be evolving into office protocol—not grounds for termination. A growing number of companies are recognizing the health benefits of a quick snooze, including increased alertness, enhanced brainpower, and fewer sick days. While naps aren't necessary for those who get the recommended eight hours of shut-eye at night, they may be key for those who skimp on sleep. "Most people don't get enough sleep," says Nancy Collop, president-elect of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. "And for those people, a nap will clearly help. The most important factor is duration, and it's well-accepted that short naps are good."
    The article goes on to further say that some companies are even setting up designated "nap rooms," tents or lofted beds for their employees to catch a quick snooze. It also mentions that some companies are already using this to their advantage and it shows examples of how productivity has increased.

I have no experience with a work environment, but I do remember that when I was in high school, I would take the time given to take a nap. I woke up at the chime of the bell, and I felt well rested to finish the school day. Personally, I think this is a good idea. A quick snooze during the middle of the day is a healthy practice to get into. I'd love to see it as commonplace.

What do you think? Is this a good business practice? Would you sleep on the job if you were allowed?

Wow - here is an significant indication of how much the work ethic has eroded. State and Federal Labor laws designate mandatory breaks and duty free lunch breaks, etc. The idea that sleeping on the job would be subsidized by employers is quite ludicrous.

In the current state of the economy and business - corporations and companies have substantially cut their work force. From almost all the people I know that are working, companies are demanding much greater productivity from each employee within the expected time frame.

My wife manages a department in a retail chain. She used to get 165 hours of labor per week for her department. Two years ago the corporation reduced her labor hours to as low as 65 hours per week. She has consistently increased sales 25-35% a year since then and has seldom (infrequently) been given more than 112 hours of labor. Businesses now are expecting more, not less from employees. As of September, she has earned her corporation $500,00 of pure profit for 2010. This matches the profit that she earned for all of 2009 and she still has the three most profitable months ahead.

Corporations do not get that kind of profit by letting employees sleep, on the contrary, my wife comes home exhausted every night from carrying this increased work-load!

In 1999, I remember falling asleep during a crucial parent conference I attended as a representative of my school district. As a result of that incident, I was terribly embarrassed and feared disciplinary action by my employer.

Later that month, after consulting my physician, I had a sleep study done that determined that I had severe sleep apnea. Apparently, I had had this untreated medical condition for over 10 years prior to this diagnosis. The tests/study revealed that I slept in less than 30 second intervals. Never reached REM sleep for over 10 years! Since intervention and treatment, I sleep 8 hour daily on average and do not suffer the chronic fatigue that I once labored under.

Although I was quite gifted and valuable to my district, my productivity and accuracy on the job increased dramatically after medical intervention.

Poor sleep habits or chaotic lifestyles of employees are not the responsibility of employers. I do not believe most businesses will be offering "sleep breaks" for employees under any circumstance any time soon.

I don't think retail is a field that would benefit from on-the-job naps; however, creative jobs, such as programming at Google or Microsoft, have reported time and again that power naps increase productivity.

In retail, a nap doesn't bring more people through the door.

I've had it offered but never taken them up on it. These are jobs where I was routinely there ten hours a day, and not unusually stretching to twelve or more so I wouldn't have felt guilty about it but in those jobs I was generally too keyed up to sleep properly and the times when I was really exhausted, the deadlines were so tight it would be hard to know whether the increased productivity would compensate for the lost time. I'm getting better at napping though, so perhaps in the future if it's available and necessary I'll give it a shot.

I've had a few naps at work, during the festival in August I was working 18+ hour days for 3 or 4 days in a row, and so whenever it was quiet I'd grab a quick half hour or 15 minute nap on the sofas upstairs!