Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horror video games!

Default Horror video games!

Just started playing through Condemned again last night (trying to unlock all of the achievements on it). I realize, that is a really intense game.

The first horror video game I played was Resident Evil, and I remember that scared the hell out of me at times. Especially when I read the words, "He's been pecked to death." Anybody who's played it will remember that moment.

Never played F.E.A.R., but I do have the first one for the 360.

Let's not forget Dead Space, which is a criminally overlooked game.

Horror is awesome. Video games are awesome. Put them both together - DOUBLE AWESOME!

Im too wimpy... i get so scared i cant play it... i tried DOOM 3 and freaked out so bad i had to stop x.x im such a wussy girl lmao...

If you want a really good one check out Calling for the Wii.

Here's a LP that JewWario did for it.

J-Dub In The Dark – CALLING (Wii) – Blistered Thumbs

Loopygone

I find most horror games to be just not that scary... OMG BIG EVIL DEMON, oh yea, I'm a marine with GUNS! = not scary :X.

The only game to truly ever creep me out was system shock 2. Lack of ammo, sparse but hard to kill monsters, and a claustrophobic ship = eeeeeeeep :X. Seriously, if you haven't played it, give it a try, better then bioshock, better then most fps's. Plus its got Shodan, one of the scariest AI's ever :O.

the closest thing to a horror game I ever got into was Bioshock... and that wasn't so much horror as it was a... FPS, RPG political statement.

A really cool one I picked up recently is Call of Cuthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It's a lot of fun, and the first 3-4 hours, you have no guns. It's all sneaking and running, which made me happy, because most "Survival horror" games now a days just give you a huge amount of ammo and all sorts of guns to blow away any baddies they throw at you, which takes away from the horror and survival aspects. I would recommend it.

I enjoy the original Resident Evil games, Silent Hill games, along with numerous others. I wish they would bring games like these back.

Loopygone

Oooooo yea! I forgot about this. New game that came out recently called Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Amnesia: The Dark Descent Looks very very creepy, no gun at all.... trying to not go insane in a dark dingy castle surrounded by monsters.... :O I've not played, and tbh I don't know if I want to :O. Review here :P Amnesia: The Dark Descent Review - PC Review at IGN

The two games I felt the most creeped out while playing was Condemned: Criminal Origins, and the Asylum/orphanage level from Thief 3 (not really a horror game besides that one level, but DAMN was that level creepy).

The thing those two games did really well was just the ambiance, both games felt creepiest when there were no enemies on screen, or right before you were about to get attacked. They both made really good use of good sound and visual cues to try and mess with you and both of them gave you a real sense of vulnerability which made lurking about all the more unnerving.

Condemned in particular had this really special kind of creepiness to it. Just the way they made the homeless dudes act, the way you could come upon a group of them and see them acting all crazy but not yet aggressive toward you, it felt like a powderkeg ready to blow. The way they moved, the sounds they made... even when they were just standing there minding their own crazy business just gave off this general unstable vibe. Of course when they DID decide to attack you it was like fighting a dude on PCP. I felt like their relentlessness lack of concern for their own well being was telegraphed a lot better in this game than any other zombie-type game. When the game took a supernatural shift it got a lot less creepier. The idea of being in a bad part of town with nothing but a flashlight and whatever blunt object you can find as a weapon, surrounded by an unknown number of unstable drugged up people is something I can relate to a lot more than blowing apart demons with a shotgun or chainsaw, or running from supernatural forces.

I would recommend Alan Wake, but only for the parts of the game that have no enemies in them :P. The way they put fights into obvious encounters makes the game a lot less creepy than it could have been. The story and atmosphere are really cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    Oooooo yea! I forgot about this. New game that came out recently called Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Amnesia: The Dark Descent Looks very very creepy, no gun at all.... trying to not go insane in a dark dingy castle surrounded by monsters.... :O I've not played, and tbh I don't know if I want to :O. Review here :P Amnesia: The Dark Descent Review - PC Review at IGN
    Heak yea. I wanted to play that game so bad, but I could never find it. I did find a game by the same developers, but its not as scary. But I am talking about the Penumbra collection. I really like the game, but only a couple of the games qualify as scary.
    Others I have played are mostly on the ps2. There was the sillent hill games, Obscure 1 and 2, Alone In the Dark, the New Nightmare, Resident evil, and others I can't name of the top of my head. I will remember eventualy.