Thread: "True Infantilism" Article

Default "True Infantilism" Article

What is True Infantilism?

Have you ever read this article? If not - I'd recommend it...if not just to hear a quasi-scholarly opinion on the matter.
    What did you think of it? How does it fit your experience?

For those of you who are not going to read it no matter what - she essentially lays out the psychology for adults wanting to wear diapers, have pacifiers, dress in baby clothes, etc... The author argues that it's different than a fetish for a variety of reasons including the fact that it very often begins for individuals far before sexuality really develops as well as the fact that it is persistent in individuals despite therapy and other attempts to 'fix' it.

As for me, when I read it several years ago, it was a good first step in helping me understand how this urge/desire/whatever developed in me and also at 'cutting myself some slack'. Up until then, I had been steeped in a lot of shame and guilt - and had thought pretty negatively of myself because of diapers. Her opinion helped that begin to shift in me.

For me, it really helps explain why diapers can be something sexually charged or not at all depending on the situation or mood I'm in - it also helps explain why I wanted diapers when I was like 5 and had no idea what sex even was.

diaperchronicles.wordpress.com

Yeah! That's one of the first things I ever read and I'm really glad. I read things that perfectly described how I felt and what I went through (and I'm sure it goes for a bunch of others as well). I believe it helped shape out how I see things and finally put me at ease, instead of worrying/feeling shameful all of the time.

It's interesting. I'm studying the issue of whether infantilism is a fetish or not...I'm not sure where I stand just yet.

I was always weirded out by people telling their families about their ab/dl-ism when I thought it was a fetish, but now...I'm just not sure. lol

Default True Infantalism - Not just a fetish, but it is a part within, like the roots of a tree

Interesting article - Thanks for sharing!

Beyond the scholarly discussion, it points out some interesting things. For myself, I don't think it is a fetish either. It is something built within one's self that doesn't have to just do with sex.

I just wish that others could feel or understand it without putting the "stigma" there.
    --By the way, I loved the post on having the greatest Mom and admired the courage of the one who posted it in telling his mom about his wanting a pacifier.

I am no psychologist, nor do I want to see one, but in my opinion, I think that the author of the article is correct. For me I wanted to wear diapers at a really young age and it was not centered on a sexual desire (not that there isn't these these type of feelings for me at times associated with it). I think it could be a really important part for some in their sexual desires, but for me it goes beyond that. I agree that for the "true infantalist" it is not a simply a fetish. And heaven knows I have tried many times to suppress these feelings without any success. It seems like trying to rip the roots out of a hundred-year old oak tree, "it just ain't gonna happen".

One of my first posts was related to AB/DL in pop-culture. My favorite is from The Incredibles and Violet's statement about their family as well as her baby brother Jack, Jack. "Normal? What does anyone in this family know about being normal? We act normal Mom, but I want to be normal! The only normal one is Jack Jack and he is not even toilet trained yet!

--I think this is going to become a theme for me here at adisc. For me personally, I think most people may "act" normal, but they all have some trait or quirk that may be viewed as abnormal.
    As for me, I want to be normal like Jack, Jack . . . .and he isn't even toilet trained yet!

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by borntoroam View Post
    Yeah! That's one of the first things I ever read and I'm really glad. I read things that perfectly described how I felt and what I went through (and I'm sure it goes for a bunch of others as well). I believe it helped shape out how I see things and finally put me at ease, instead of worrying/feeling shameful all of the time.
    Ditto, Ditto, Ditto.

It is a good article.

And if, as the author states, it is rooted in a developmental process, there is a lot we still have to learn about what sort of developmental issues can lead to true infantilism. I notice the connection made with abuse, but think that there are other cases where it won't stand up.

Artie

I enjoyed the read, thanks for posting

i think infantilism in its self is not a fetish and at the same time its common for some people to during or after puberty develop a sexual attachment to diapers(i.e a diaper fetish) some have never had infantile desires before and some have but either way they are two separate ideas: infantilism v.s a diaper fetish. but when most people start the ab desires its way before puberty hits and sex isnt even a thought....

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

furthermore i have always said that diapers for ab's are just one tool of the trade one prop in the play....we are attached from an emotional standpoint to the diaper but like the article mentions it graduates to other objects as one gets older almost like you subconious realizing u r getting older and trying to hold on to the little you....a fetish by defiintion is an extreme sexual attachment to a singular object