Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other uses for nappies

Default Other uses for nappies

Apologies if there is already such a topic as this, i know theres one about sillest thinsg ever done with nappies, but im asking about serious uses.
    I've used nappies to mop up spills, to dry my kitchen/bathroom floor after washing it, i taped one to my ceiling once to stop a leak and recently discovered they make great ice packs, if you fill one with water and stick it in a sealed bag and freeze it, you can then wait till it thaws a bit and then you have a bag of freezing gel stuff that moulds perfectly to anywhere you want to apply it.
    Other uses of nappies i have heared of is that soldiers in the desert fill them with cold water and then wear them under there helmets to keep them cool, wether thats true or not i dont know.
    And i also know that the absorbent gel inside is used to spray on stuff to prevent fire from spreading, this is all bcuase a firefighter noticed how a wet nappy was the only thing left undamaged by a fire.
    I would imagine the oposite is true of a dry nappy, i think the wood pulp insiode a dry nappy would make a good tinder material to start a fire (if there was nothing else to use) i also read that they used shredded nappies for snow effects in films, again this is just something i read on the internet so might not be true.
    Going back to the ice pack thing again quickly, i noticed how the nappy stayed very cold for almost the entire day, infact some part were still hard and frozen, so i think they would be good for wrapping food in if you wanted to keep food and drink cold for some reason, like if your going out for a picnic somewhere, ok i know there are such thing as ice boxes for that!
    anyway, has anyone else used nappies for anything other there intended purposes, or heared of any other uses for them?

lemmee see, the only alternate use i've had for a nappy would be once, while sick in bed, to spit up into. As Far as other products however, I keep a supply of absorbent pads and have a number of uses for them.. roof leaks, and my fridge and freezer is NOT frost free, so one is always sitting in the bottom of the fridge, gets tossed every so often for another one. Spill ceanup for sure, I havent tried it on an oil leak in my old truck yet tho.

Iceboxes are good - but nappies are a lot more portable, and might be a convenient substitute.

I presume we are talking disposable rather than cloth?

Baby Artie

My grandfather collected glass and shipped a lot of it to family members. For some reason he always wrapped nice pieces of glass in diapers. I guess it makes sense, they have tapes, padding, they are water-proof...

well from personal experiance while wearing a bambino working in my machine shop i was an idiot and forgot to shut off coolant and open the door and got hosed with about a gallon of it and the diaper absuorbed everything that hit it while wearing

The icepack idea is interesting as long as it doesn't rupture from expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by pampersonly View Post
    well from personal experiance while wearing a bambino working in my machine shop i was an idiot and forgot to shut off coolant and open the door and got hosed with about a gallon of it and the diaper absuorbed everything that hit it while wearing
    That probably made you feel pretty gross. I myself work in a machine shop and the coolant can get pretty nasty if it hasn't been changed in a while.

Countryboy95

works good if a horse gets a cut in leg just use one to cover it up

I used to do a lot of airbrush work. I bought this cute little thing about the size of an oatmeal box with a hole in the top that you pointed the airbrush into when blowing it out to clean it or change colors rather than shooting on to newspaper. After a while I decided to open the thing up to see what they had in there soaking things up and found a baby diaper in there.