Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Euro 2008 thread

Peachy

Default The Euro 2008 thread

Today marks the beginning of the world's third largest sports event: The European Soccer Championship, or just Euro 2008 for short. It's held in Austria and Switzerland this time.

So I think we need an official Euro 2008 thread on Adisc, even though this may not be relevant to too many of our members because (obviously) the U.S., Canada and Australia can't take part and England failed to qualify. Still, for those members whose countries did qualify, or for anyone else with an interest in the tournament, here's the place to talk about it.

Over here in Germany, the Euro2008 is a big event for two reasons:
    (1) We're rated the top team with the higest chance of winning the tournament, and
    (2) people here remember the great emotions and all the fun from two years ago when Germany hosted the soccer World Cup. Back then, the entire country went crazy with soccer and millions of people watched the matches on big screens in public, German flags were completely sold out because people suddenly started decorating everything with flags (even though no one's ever dared waving a German flag until then). In addition, our economy finally came out of a 5-year depression in exactly those 4 weeks of the World Cup in 2006 for some strange reason.

Time for kick off!

Peachy

Come On Poland!!

Football isn't really football without angry, boisterous England fans.

I don't follow football anyway...

Monday our first match with Netherlands. I'll be in front of TV watching it.

I remember 2 years ago when we won the World Cup (yes, we are World Champions!!!)
    and I want to revive these feelings; but I can't remember which teams we defeated in semi-final and Final ().

I've heard there are 5 favourite teams: Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal.
    But, you know, In the end there can be only one!

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk View Post
    Greece..woo.
    We won last time, but I deem it nigh impossible to get the same streak of luck as then.
    (2004..wow, time goes by..or was it 2006? o_O)
    2004 - I still remember that. Every Greek restaurant was closed for days (they probably got plastered on Ouzo ). The former coach of my favorite soccer club (Rehagel) must have done an excellent job back then.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Target_0 View Post

I remember 2 years ago when we won the World Cup (yes, we are World Champions!!!)
    and I want to revive these feelings; but I can't remember which teams we defeated in semi-final and Final ().

I've heard there are 5 favourite teams: Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal.
    You bet ya I'll be doing the same.

I'll try to take some footage off al the crazy fans and events while I'm in Germany this month for my class trip!

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by Target_0 View Post

Ugh, damn Italy beating out Australia in the World Cup.

You guys def' cheated.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Kams View Post
    I'll try to take some footage off al the crazy fans and events while I'm in Germany this month for my class trip!
    You better hope we're still in the tournament by the time you get here! In the past two European championships, we were kicked out really early in the tournament - quite a big embarrassment, to be honest.

And Lukie: Italy kicked us out too. [insert KillerPeach (TM) face here!]

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    we were kicked out really early in the tournament - quite a big embarrassment, to be honest.
    I remember the 2 lines that constantly were yelled by everyone here.

Schade Deutchland, alles ist vorbei, alles ist vorbei, alles ist vorbei.
    (just hope I didn't spell it wrong)
    Last edited by Martin; 08-Jun-2008 at 10:21.