Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: have you ever considered your self to be OCD or been clinically diagnosed with OCD

iCrinkle2

Question have you ever considered your self to be OCD or been clinically diagnosed with OCD

So I was wondering, recently I've been clinically diagnosed with OCD Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and have been diagnosed with moderate to sever ADHD for years and still am quite ADHD when not on medication. But I was wondering more as to how many of you think your are or have been diagnosed with OCD personally, and suffer from it. I was put on Celexa medication by my psychiatrist for OCD reasontally. OCD is a type if anxiety that creates obsessive thoughts in your head that I know my thoughts drive me crazy and at times I just wanna escape. While im on medication it seems to be helping each day . But from talking to my Psychologist she says that my obsession with diapers might lesson, not disappear but lesson. So thats what brought me to here to write to all of you. Does anyone here them selfs suffer form OCD Anxiety. Love to hear back from you guys.

-Thanks for reading my post

Sean (iCrinkle2)

I some times have symptoms of OCD, but do not have it. My therapist thinks I have some other type of anxiety disorder though. Anyway, welcome to the site, you should post an introduction.

I have certain OCD tendencies. I get a taste for a restaurant and eat there until I can't stand it anymore. When I leave for work, all of my "pocket things" have to be in their correct place so there is no confusion or freaking out about "where is my thing?" later on in the day. I masturbate to an excessive degree, to the point where it kinda hurts and isn't doing it for me anymore.

So yeah...I'm probably borderline, if not OCD. That said...none of my tendencies interfere with my life. I am successful, and I'm happy for the most part. I just have a few quirks.

Oh! A big one I just thought of after I posted. On the internet, I have a tendency to go hard and heavy posting on forums, then tire of it and walk away for an extended period of time, only to come back and do the same thing some months later. lol

I've never been dianosed with OCD but I do have some OCD tendencys. Door locks drive me crazy both house and car locks. They have to be locked wether I'm inside or outside. That and open doors. They have to be closed. Theres more that I've been noticing. Non of my OCD tendencys effect my job or personal life but I know some of my friends have noticed some of them and have asked why. I just tell them I don't know.

All the times online you see people who claim to have OCD or aspergers or some sort of dissociative disorder and I think a lot of the time it's self-diagnosed. Sometimes people are anxious or slightly obsessive or silly things - that's like, human nature and stuff. And just because you're introverted or have anti-social tendencies doesn't mean you have some sort of mental problem. Maybe you can sorta relate to the conditions of a disorder doesn't mean you have it, even if you really think you do. The Wikipedia article of dissociative disorders is probably the leading cause of them.

As for people being diagnosed, I dunno, seems like doctors are way to willing to hand out drugs to make folks feel better these days (probably cause they're in league with those evil pharmaceutical companies trying to steal your money...). Like, how many kids are on meds for ADD and ADHD just because their parents couldn't handle how hyper undisciplined children can be (kids being kids? DRUG THEM PRONTO!).

Not saying that people don't have these problems, cause some people do suffer from stuff like this. But these aren't conditions that should be used like cruthces to cope with one's inability to deal with the gigantic tradgedies that are just a part of life. Being weird, not having a bunch of friends and going on the internet a bunch doesn't mean you have aspergers. Having excess energy and a lack of an attention span doesn't mean you have ADHD. Every person ever will tell you that they have a few OCD-ish qualities, but that's way different than having the problem full-blown. Not accusing any person in particular of this - that would wrong - so maybe just everyone on the whole. But yeah... ... yeah.

I was diagnosed with OCD when I was younger, picked up the bad habits off my mother. In the end I went to see a psych-person (-chologist? -chiatrist? I can't remember, I was only 9!) and a food advisor (I can never remember if it's dietician or nutritionalist!) since it mainly affected my eating!

I struggled with it a lot when I was a child, I found it very distressing but didn't really understand why I felt compelled to do the things I did. It got me a lot of abuse from my brothers and parents because they understood it less than I did. It was like a neverending cycle: Act on compulsion > Get shouted at > Become upset and therefore less able to control compulsions > Repeat.
    From a very young age, or as long as I can remember, I was always "aware" that I was different or special in some way. I didn't think it was a good or a bad thing, it just ... was. It has carried on into adulthood and I am only just learning to accept it. Sometimes I still don't understand why I am here at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Slang View Post
    All the times online you see people who claim to have OCD or aspergers or some sort of dissociative disorder and I think a lot of the time it's self-diagnosed. Sometimes people are anxious or slightly obsessive or silly things - that's like, human nature and stuff. And just because you're introverted or have anti-social tendencies doesn't mean you have some sort of mental problem. Maybe you can sorta relate to the conditions of a disorder doesn't mean you have it, even if you really think you do. The Wikipedia article of dissociative disorders is probably the leading cause of them.
    THIS. I totally agree on everything. Way too many times have I seen people say "Oh shi- I'm a nerd. I have Aspergers." There's a damned good chance that practically everybody in the population has some sort of characteristic of Aspergers, OCD, etc. A lot of those things are just human nature. Some people are extroverted and some are introverted. Just because you're one or the other doesn't necessarily means that you have a mental issue. I'm introverted, have some obsessive tendencies, and I'm just plain weird, but that doesn't mean I have a problem. I'm just a quirky person. I can still function in society, after all. I think that people diagnose themselves because they feel like they can either (and I mean this in the nicest way possible) have an excuse for acting plain rude, or feel a sense of belonging in a group. Really think about it now. It's kind of like cliques in middle and high school. You have the jocks and the emos and the nerds. The labeling instinct that society has imposed on us sometimes doesn't go away past adolescence, which is why we have stereotypes.

Not that I don't agree with mental professionals diagnosing people, though. It's just that sometimes they really screw up on it and give teenagers anti-depressants for normal teenage angst and give kids Ritalin for being, well... kids! I mean, I have a copy of the DSM-IV on my desk, but that doesn't mean I go around diagnosing everybody with some sort of disorder for being who they are. If you have a life-disturbing issue, then by all means, you can go ask for help. I think everybody needs it at least once in their lives, and there's nothing shameful about talking to somebody. If it's not disrupting your life, though, then you're fine.

For me, it goes one of two ways in my mind: Either mental diagnoses are crap 90% of the time, or we're all just crazy in our own ways.

Long post is long and probably confusing and/or contradictory. Just your typical Nei post, but I think you guys should know this by now.

A thing I forgot to mention: I hate it when people use OCD as an adjective ... it doesn't make sense lol.
    "I am totally Obsessive Compulsive Disorder about my hair."