Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Banning Birthday Treats in Schools

Dwhite

Default Banning Birthday Treats in Schools

My friend and I are in the middle of a big argument about this.

Some Michigan schools even ban cupcakes to fight obesity - Yahoo! News

I say that it is the start the fixing the problem.
    She says that it wont do anything to help.

So, I was curious about what you guys thought about it.
    Would this help fix the problem?
    Or will it do nothing helpful at all?

EDIT: Just to add my point was that if the kids home life isnt doing anything to help, why not have the schools have a try. In the end this helps the school's. . It fixes problems with alergies, it also ends kids crying because they didnt get blue frosting, or the flavor they wanted, wasting even more time from class.
    Last edited by Dwhite; 16-Nov-2010 at 23:58.

If they really wanted to fight obesity, they would crack the whip on parents who let their kids develop it. Some kids are like that because they have no choice in the matter (genetics can be a real bitch sometimes), but the cases where the parents let them watch television all day? Yeah. That's not the school's responsibility, it all lies on the parents.

It's a band aide. The problem can only be fixed through education about nutrition and also presenting kids with the proper necessities (at home and in school cafeterias).

At my highschool, a poutine was $3.50, but a salad was $5.00. Figure that one out.

Obesity is an input/output problem. If kids spent less time with Madden '11 and more time playing the game in the real world (and walking or riding bikes to school.....), a little extra fuel in the form of cupcakes would be irrelevant. As for nutrition, its a lot easier to get the correct micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, etc.) when you're shoveling in 4000 calories a day to support all the physical activity.

It won't fix anything. The kids will still eat whatever at home. There's nothing that can be done about that besides educating the parents & children.

Wow, when will they ever learn.

Who comes up with this stuff? Then who agrees? Makes zero sense...

While we're at it, lets ban re-usable grocery bags because of the potentially harmful chemicals in the coloring...

Dwhite

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionxi1 View Post
    Wow, when will they ever learn.

Who comes up with this stuff? Then who agrees? Makes zero sense...

While we're at it, lets ban re-usable grocery bags because of the potentially harmful chemicals in the coloring...
    The school wanted to look good. There getting 40 grand in grant money.

Banning cupcakes in schools:
    Because that'll stop the kids from eating them at home and playing Xbox all day.

Seriously, if people are going to be dumbasses and let their kids eat shit all day, I have no sympathy. Your kids will never get a date and die alone at 30 from a heart attack. Then my gene pool won't have idiots anymore. I say that we have compulsory parenting education. Not all the stuff, but, y'know, the basics. Like "Don't let your kids eat shit, because when they're obese at 20 and have to live on welfare, I'm not going to pay for them out of my tax dollars."

Idiocracy is the future, folks. We can either complain about it on the internet or verbally smack some idiot faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillhouse View Post
    At my highschool, a poutine was $3.50, but a salad was $5.00. Figure that one out.
    Same at my high school and everywhere else for that matter. Burger? 2 bucks. Salad? 4 FRICKEN DOLLARS.

And I love poutine. <3 I never get a chance to make it anymore...

I think its stupid and wont help anything. A perfect example i could think of that happened at my HS when i was going.

We could get an order of french fries for $1.50. ALot of kids would get it for lunch cause they didnt want or like anything else the school had.

Eventually the school got on a high horse about obeciety and said now you can only get a small bit of fries when you order a hamburger. So kids bought a burger, threw it out and ate the fries.

Then it was now you can only get fries on tuesdays and fridays with a burger. And they would do the same thing and throw out the burger.

Finally their was no fries. And lunch sales dropped threw the floor and kids started buying nothing but candy and junk from the vending machines or bringing in fast food or other stuff for lunch.

Banning something dosent help, look at prohibition. All it does is piss people off and make them circumvent the system and often makes the problem worse to to the fact people will find a way around it JUST to spite the rule.

Obesity by and large has fuck all to do with what you eat and everything to do with how much exercise you get.

If schools want to do some positive good make the younger generation exercise, don't take away their sweets. This a byproduct of a post industrial economy you live more comfortably but your overall health suffers as a result.