Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Spiritual Path

Default Your Spiritual Path

I took the survey and I'm not surprised that most people are Agnostic or Athiest. I live in China and that is the most popular view point here. Spiritual paths come in all shapes and sizes the key is what ever feels right to you. That's the way people can find their spiritual paths.

Butterfly Mage

The freedom to explore one's spirituality without the confines of dogma is a big part of why the Unitarian Universalist faith is on the rise. My favorite UU slogan is "The Unitarian Universalist Church: Where all your answers are questioned."

lol, what is a "spiritual path"? It's a meaningless phrase. There are no spirits. We're alone on a rock floating through space and we have no reason to believe otherwise. Making up fantasies because you're not comfortable with that idea is not productive.

[removed]

Until theists/spiritualists can actually provide physical evidence through the scientific method that their ideas are anything other than fantasies, that's all they're going to be in my eyes.
    Last edited by Trevor; 16-Nov-2010 at 02:05. Reason: Removed reputation-related comments.

Quote Originally Posted by 0x000017 View Post
    lol, what is a "spiritual path"? It's a meaningless phrase. There are no spirits. We're alone on a rock floating through space and we have no reason to believe otherwise. Making up fantasies because you're not comfortable with that idea is not productive.

[. . .]

Until theists/spiritualists can actually provide physical evidence through the scientific method that their ideas are anything other than fantasies, that's all they're going to be in my eyes.
    Well that's the thing. In many faiths, making "you" think their ideas are anything other than fantasies is a rather low priority. Islam actually teaches, by some interpretations, that all people are born Muslim by default- yet those who do not choose to follow the faith are allowed to do so without condemnation.

Of course, there also exists the Jehova's Witnesses. All spectrums have two ends.

I think "God" exists, but not in the form we think. Maybe "God" is a force in the universe, or a subatomic particle we haven't yet discovered.

Bottom line, I think we are too primitive to know what "God" is, and we are arrogant to have created Him in OUR image.

My higher power may be a "fantasy" to you.

But believing he is around lets me tap into a well of strength that I would otherwise not have.

Yeah, I pray to God on a daily basis. Say what you will, but it has led to such great growth for me on a personal level..... I am glad I took that step, in any case. But I had to do it on my own free will - forcing God down another's throat only leads to resentment, and nobody needs that.

I do not dispute that belief in a higher power may be an enormous comfort to someone, but I consider theistic claims to lack any sound basis or physical evidence.

Maybe I should share my "spiritual path" rather than derailing this thread any further.

Throughout my childhood I was vaguely aware of some idea of a god that people prayed to thanks to it being drilled into me through compulsory christian services every day at school (this is what lack of seperation of church and state does). I remember once praying to him to give me a sign to strengthen my faith. Nothing happened. I felt very silly.

I then found out I was a gay sadomasochist diaper fetishist, and concluded that if there is a god She must have a very weird sense of humour, sex life, or both. Which is why I'm a Discordian. Ofc, it's all just a fantasy of my weird mind, but it's a fun one.

BernardFx

I used to be a Jehova's Witness, but not anymore. It's true that when you're drilled religious thoughts from birth, it becomes hard to think otherwise. Around two years ago, I started questioning: Why is there a God, or why only us, or why are we alive? After thinking some time, I decided I was going to look for a new path. Although having a religion like this one is pretty nice, it wasn't for me.

Right now, I'm in a conflict. Even though it may sound dumb to others, I believe that this is My Universe, and it only exists because of me. All the small details are only so I can decide to accept them, or reject them. And everything has it's requirements to get (for example, classified knowledge). Since I only see through my eyes, and there's no way to prove others see through their eyes (I'm thinking about me), I'm the reason for everything's existence. It's so egocentric, but that's what I believe in this moment. Weird, ain't I?
    Last edited by BernardFx; 16-Nov-2010 at 09:01.

Quote Originally Posted by BernardFx View Post
    Right now, I'm in a conflict. Even though it may sound dumb to others, I believe that this is My Universe is mine, and it only exists because of me. All the small details are only so I can decide to accept them, or reject them. And everything has it's requirements to get (for example, classified knowledge). Since I only see through my eyes, and there's no way to prove others see through their eyes (I'm thinking about me), I'm the reason for everything's existence. It's so egocentric, but that's what I believe in this moment. Weird, ain't I?
    You're not the first. Look up "solipsism." My homework for a philosophy class one day was to live 24 hours as a solipsist. Bonus points were available to anyone who called my professor from jail.

Quote Originally Posted by balancedchaos View Post
    I think "God" exists, but not in the form we think. Maybe "God" is a force in the universe, or a subatomic particle we haven't yet discovered.

Bottom line, I think we are too primitive to know what "God" is, and we are arrogant to have created Him in OUR image.
    I agree with you and I'm a Methodist Minister of Music. We make the mistake of trying to define God in terms of being human. I've been reading Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons" and he has a lot to say about faith. It's a very good read. As for not being able to prove the existence of a spiritual world, there are many photographs of ghosts, some which have even run in my local news paper. I've had direct contact with one when I was 18 years old. I was with someone else who saw it as well. We were playing with a Ouija board and called it forth. If you talk to others, many people have stories where they've had contact with someone from beyond death.