Thread: Minecraft

Default Minecraft

guys i wanted a TB minecraft server so i MADE ONE
    IP: 86.172.38.98:25565

hope to see you soon guys
    Last edited by HuskyBB; 15-Nov-2010 at 20:51. Reason: WRONG IP XD LOL

>192.168

You know nobody other than you will be able to connect to your server right? That is an IP to identify a computer within your LAN, not a computer on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by marksparktbdl View Post
    guys i wanted a TB minecraft server so i MADE ONE
    IP: 192.168.1.254:25565

hope to see you soon guys
    1. As pointed out, that's a local IP address, not an internet one. No one can connect.
    2. Even if you found your internet IP address, and sent us that, we still probably couldn't connect as most home connections are behind NATs. At best, it's for your router, and you can change the settings, but more than likely its for your street or your block, leaving you with nothing you can do (At least, if UK ISPs are anything like the Irish ISPs, and given many of them are the same people, that's highly likely).
    3. Even if by some miracle you are not behind a NAT, you will have a dynamic IP address and you'll need to provide everyone with updated IP addresses every couple of days.
    4. Finally, despite this, a home internet connection is not good enough for even a moderately used Minecraft server. Another site I'm on has members hosting their own server, and even with a proper one, they are still exceeding bandwidth limits.

Sorry to be such a downer, but you do need at least a little technical know-how to host any public facing game servers.

Well I do have the "technical know-how" it was a C-paste error -_-

Quote Originally Posted by marksparktbdl View Post
    Well I do have the "technical know-how" it was a C-paste error -_-
    I'm sorry. I'm just so used to people screwing up things that I made assumptions after seeing that mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Hex View Post
    1. As pointed out, that's a local IP address, not an internet one. No one can connect.
    2. Even if you found your internet IP address, and sent us that, we still probably couldn't connect as most home connections are behind NATs. At best, it's for your router, and you can change the settings, but more than likely its for your street or your block, leaving you with nothing you can do (At least, if UK ISPs are anything like the Irish ISPs, and given many of them are the same people, that's highly likely).
    3. Even if by some miracle you are not behind a NAT, you will have a dynamic IP address and you'll need to provide everyone with updated IP addresses every couple of days.
    4. Finally, despite this, a home internet connection is not good enough for even a moderately used Minecraft server. Another site I'm on has members hosting their own server, and even with a proper one, they are still exceeding bandwidth limits.

Sorry to be such a downer, but you do need at least a little technical know-how to host any public facing game servers.
    lol, I was thinking along those lines, but my technical knowledge is not that great. tbh I've never really understood what NAT is, other than something related to routers that stops you doing anything fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hex View Post

Thorough, yes, though UK Ip's don't tend to be Mass-Nat'ted like this. (At least not for me, I've never come across these issues down here. Ever.)
    Also, Minecraft servers don't lag because of bandwidth. It's not that much. You experience lag regardless as the server executable is shocking at memory allocation.
    I mean shocking. Really, really shocking.