Thread: To build a kickass gaming box.

Default To build a kickass gaming box.

I have started a savings jar towards my ultimate goal of building a gaming PC that will totally kick ass.

Thing is, I have never done anything like this before. I know how to put a computer together and take one apart, though for this I probably will have a friend come and assist me.

I am making this thread to ask for advice as to what parts I should consider adding to this machine. What kind of motherboard, video card, RAM, hard drive, etc....... And how to shop for such parts.

I'm thinking about making these purchases about six months down the line.

I already have the awesome monitor, though. :-)

Thanks in advance to any words of wisdom here. I have not purchased anything computer related in the last several years, so it would be nice to know about the latest and greatest gaming technology there is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by KaworuVsDrWily View Post
    I have started a savings jar towards my ultimate goal of building a gaming PC that will totally kick ass.

Thing is, I have never done anything like this before. I know how to put a computer together and take one apart, though for this I probably will have a friend come and assist me.

I am making this thread to ask for advice as to what parts I should consider adding to this machine. What kind of motherboard, video card, RAM, hard drive, etc....... And how to shop for such parts.

I'm thinking about making these purchases about six months down the line.

I already have the awesome monitor, though. :-)

Thanks in advance to any words of wisdom here. I have not purchased anything computer related in the last several years, so it would be nice to know about the latest and greatest gaming technology there is out there.
    Well, I suggest a quad-core processor or higher, which has a power of 4 processors together. 4 GB of Ram or higher. Hard Drive 500 GB+ would be nice for gaming. Graphic cards Nivida 9800 and higher, defiantly higher. The brands are up to you, I only know the powers of the Nivida Graphic cards.

Some sites,
    Barebone, Barebones, Barebone Computer System Kit, Barebone Kits, PC Barebones, Asus Barebone Kits, Barebone PC, Shuttle Barebone Kits. Mini Barebone PC at TigerDirect.com
    1stChoiceMemory.com - Barebones Systems
    http://www.computing.net/answers/har...ard/63788.html
    http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...me=Desktop-PCs
    http://www.xoxide.com/

I am only gonna comment on a couple things.

Get two Western Digital Black, 7200 rpm, 64meg buffer, 1TB sata 3 drives (I do 6GB/min, per source, video and these drives are fast for the money)
    Any nice pci express raid controller with sata 3.

The fake raid controllers on just about every motherboard out there will have a good chance of destroying the data on your drive and well they are not good anyways.

Also get some nice soundcard so you can have many, many sounds playing at once without it lugging your cpu at all.

If you start with a motherboard that is 150-200 dollars, then just about any matched cpu and ram will work fine...Oh and cheap ram is cheap for a reason, it takes longer to refresh mainly, which makes it slower.

The larger the cpu cache, generally the better cpu.

Oh and make sure to get a case that will be very comfortable to work on, like one that is all metal and about 100 online without a power supply. If it's your first computer you are building, you want a case with plenty of room inside and you don't want incomplete chinesenglish wiring diagrams.

Oh and since it is a gaming rig, you probably wouldn't want a stock power supply either.

Lastly I suggest a wired laser mouse, I use a MS Lasermouse 6000 and I have been usingit for 5 years and it still doesn't ever skip around. I also swear by the G-15 keyboard by Logitech. Though there might be a better model now. It is backlit and has a lcd screen which is awesome for gaming as many games will show your ammo, etc on the tiny screen and it can be super handy. Or you can use it to see who is talking on Vent ^_^

Here's some inspiration, my gaming rig decimates most things

Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.0GHz (Outdated now, better version is the 950 I believe)
    2x NVidia GTX 470's (When they work! One's being repaired because of cooling issues :/)
    6GB 1866MHz Corsair Dominator RAM
    Hybrid CPU Watercooling
    Corsair HX850W PSU
    OCZ 120GB SSD
    WD Cavaiar Green 1TB HDD (For media files -that's why it's green!)

The thing to think about is the performance and resource profile of the things you want to run on it. For graphically heavily applications like games the key things for getting fast performance are usually offloading workload from the CPU (so heavy duty GPUs) and IO (building a short, fat pipe between your storage and RAM). In both cases more cash generally equals more bang, to state the obvious!

Also, in the performance arena, beyond gaming rigs there's workstation class systems. These are super heavy duty industrial desktops which dwarf pretty much any gaming rig. The last one of these I ordered for instance was this spec;

12 processing cores (2 Intel Xeon Xsomething-or-others)
    48GB RAM
    2 nVidia Quadro FX 4000 2GB Graphics Cards
    Boot and Scratch Disk: 3 300GB 15'000rpm SAS Drives, striped with a dedicated PCIe RAID controller with 512MB of cache
    Data Disk: 8TB usable, RAID5 with a hot spare, connected to a dedicated PCIe RAID controller with 512MB of cache and a dedicated, high performance processor, with one 3Gb/s channel per disk

This thing will happily munch through and display multi-TB graphical datasets without breaking a sweat! And because these systems are engineered specifically to handle such high loads, they rarely suffer from any thermal issues. They also sound like jet engines at take off when under full load, but that's a minor detail
    And all this can be yours for the bargain price of ~US$30'000! And beyond workstations there's the desksides - true monsters with hundreds of cores and and suitable huge price tags.

Now I'm guessing these are perhaps a touch outside your budget, however maybe it can offer you some inspiration, particularly in the storage and IO area.

Hope this helps

Its hard to give you specific help without knowing what your budget is, and what resolution you game at. So I will provide some general advice, with some suggestions.

1. CPU/Motherboard: I linked the two of these as they should be paired up. To be honest, most games today, and for a while, are not dependant on a powerful CPU..the Video Card is most important. I would go with an Intel i5 based system. An AMD quad core (Phenom X4) would be fine too. The motherboard should come from a well-known manufacturer, such as Asus, Gigabyte, Evga, or even some MSI boards. Get one with USB 3.0 support. The CPU should not cost you more than $200, and the motherboard $160.

2. Memory: get 4GB of ram (DDR3 1600). A good quality brand like Corsair is suggested. Kingston is another safe choice. Just get the cheapest 1600MHZ 4GB kit offered by one of these reliable brands. Should cost no more than $100.

3. Video card: the most important part re performance. nVidia's GTX 460 1GB should be minimum, but a GTX 470 would be quite powerful. AMD Radeon 58XX cards would be fine too.

4. Power supply: don't cheap out here! Get a 650W or greater Corsair or Seasonic power supply to be safe. Antec, Enermax, and a few others offer good and bad PSUs, but any from Corsair or Seasonic would be good for simplicity sake. corsair has great customer support. Should cost you $100-120.

5. Hard Drive: Solid State Drives are awesome, but are expensive and don't offer a lot of capacity. Some research is required here. For simplicity sake, get a regular hard drive. The 1TD Western Digital Black is very fast, and carries a 5 year warranty. Very reliable and fast. ~$90 If you decide to go SSD, make sure you go with an Intel mobo, use Windows 7, set ACHI in bios, and get an 'Indilinx' or 'Sandforce' based drive. (these names refer to the brands 'under the hood'. Can cost ~$100 for a 60GB drive, or ~200 for a 120GB. Expensive, and needs to be configured correctly.

6. Case: Coolermaster 690 II is a great choice. Easy to work with, and decent cooling. Lots of room to hide cables away, to keep your air flowing.

Hope this helps. I hope I have not forgotten anything.

Decent Gaming PC About 700$ with out parifrials. 1000$ with.
    Somewhat decent 500$-700$.
    Future proof for 1-3 years 1600-2000$.
    I'll get back in later with parts and stuff.

basic
    AMD
    athlon IIX4 Or phenom II x6 (fairly cheap now.)
    4gb ram (Really though If you got 120$ get 2x4gb sticks. :/ It's more blablabla... But You'll never need more for a LONG time.) Yeah it's slower... Somewhat... But you can always OC?
    5850-70(The 6*** cards are not better they just run slightly cooler. From what I hear.)
    PSU 600W(I say this because You'll probably keep it.)
    HDD 4 TB HDD's in Raid 1+0 (Crazy amount of storage but you could do the same with 250-3tb drives.)
    1-2 32-64gb SSD ran in raid 1 (Fast startup and game loads.)
    Cooling(I'd upgrade from stock.)
    Case(Really... IT depends on your need 50-150$. :/)
    Mobo(Try something Decent 100-200$ 6sataIII and USB 3.0) and one sata II port for the CD/BR drive.

Intel...(if you got the cash)
    i5/7
    6gb of ram(Why do people keep saying 4.... most i7's are triple channel.)
    Video card(no clue... latest at time you buy.)

If you cross/SLI Get larger psu... You may need to power.
    Same for the rest.