Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coping with a loss

Default Coping with a loss

I know this is not like the best place for this but I just needed to ask or talk to someone else about it. My beautiful full blood golden lab broke thru the fence and is gone. She was the only 'family' i really had besides my uncle and I got her just over a year ago. it may not seem long but we spent so much time together and i love her sooo much. i am pretty sure someone got her by now. i went all over an put up signs. we drove around for hours looking until it was to dark to see. i been crying my eyes out over her and last nite was the first time since i got her that she didn't either sleep next to my bed on the floor or even sometimes hop up next to me and nuzzle her nose under my arm and go to sleep.
    she was a big and very strong puppy. even walking her was a heck of a work out and she even broke the regular chains and even a choker chain leash! Beautiful powerful super protective but she wouldn't bite me if her life depend on it. She was such a loving girl. I miss her so much.
    I feel kinda silly asking 'how do you cope' because i can guess the answers like time and get another one maybe... but without going thru my whole life story - she really was like the second person that ever showed love to me and that i loved so much. for me i guess it's like losing a sister or something. i can't even see her toys without breaking down instant.
    ok. i just had to get that out.

This is why when possible you should do that microchip thing. Hey man I understand. I couldn't go into work for 2 days after my cat of 19 years Captain Pete died. She could be back very soon, dogs are funny like that.
    Keep your chin up and check the shelters.

the chip would be a good idea but just never thought it would happen ya know? she was gone for 10 hours before we found out. it has also been cold so some one prolly took her in. she is quiet so finding her is going to be hard. We are going to check the pound and shelters tomorrow. thanks and i'm sorry to hear about Captain Pete. 19 years wow....

I've dealt with soooo many pets dying over the past few years. So I know how it feels.
    I hope you can find her to give this topic a happy ending.

Yes, I hope you can find her. Did she have tags? Having an I.D. tag is a good idea. Hopefully, someone will do the right thing and bring her back to you. My golden is 9 years old and she had a tumor removed several weeks ago. We get so attached to our loved ones and it's incredibly difficult to get over their loss. Dogs love you so unconditionally, and have such an innocence about them. I really feel for you.

Don't give up hope, a few years back one of our cats went missing for a month before she came back. We have no idea what happened to her, we assume she just got stuck somewhere. Just keep checking local shelters, ask your neighbours if they have seen her and keep handing out posters. Eventually some clue should turn up as to where she is. She may just come back you never know, she loves you unconditionally and would do anything to return home.

maffew

I had a deaf 1 pound female ferret get out and lost last January, I live in the desert and I'm surrounded by coyotes, owls, dogs, cats, and it got below freezing at night. I searched for a week and finally 7 days later a neighbor called saying they found her.
    Don't give up hope.

Quote Originally Posted by maffew View Post
    I had a deaf 1 pound female ferret get out and lost last January, I live in the desert and I'm surrounded by coyotes, owls, dogs, cats, and it got below freezing at night. I searched for a week and finally 7 days later a neighbor called saying they found her.
    Don't give up hope.
    Wow, that ferret really beggers imagination! How she ever survived is beyond me, truely a survivor! Ignoring anything but the weather alone the odds were sure against her.

Kitsiulla: I don't mean to sound cold about this, but it is a bad economy and not nearly close enough to Christmas. So I am guessing that anyone who has your doggy would return her, once they know she is loved and wanted. The signs and the shelter visit are a good start, you should also go door to door, using a map to personally visit every house, well you probably live in a city, so lets say one mile or a half mile. And make sure every person living around you knows the dog's face and will connect it to you. Also, let everyone, everyone you see know that if they saw something happen to your doggie or might have been responsible or know someone who might, that all you want it closure or to find your doggy. And then you have to mean that any live by your word. And you kinda have to mean it when you say it too. Heck, do you have a group of friends who could help you cover tons of houses, quickly? People are often willing to admit to a wrongdoing to a friend of the person, rather than the person themselves. However given the extreemly short time it has been, I would keep hope close to my heart that you will see her again. I think it is very, rather, likely, probable.

Oh and something else that might look a little silly, but might help if your doggie is wandering still, put a few dirty socks tied to a few places like near the front door, the back, the sides of the house, so if your doggie comes around, but is lost, she will remember your smell. Actually even without smelling you for several weeks, your doggie will still have a stong impression in her mind relating to your smell.

And since this is the kind of forum is it, your doggie might also know your pee smell better than some pets lol, so it wouldn't hurt to put your own pee around your yard to further make your smell travel over a distance. Whoever thought pee could come in handy, huh? ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    This is why when possible you should do that microchip thing. Hey man I understand. I couldn't go into work for 2 days after my cat of 19 years Captain Pete died. She could be back very soon, dogs are funny like that.
    Keep your chin up and check the shelters.
    Funny about "that microchip thing:" cancerous cells spring up around the implant. You are ultimately weighing your pet's possible recovery against causing them acute or chronic issues, so it's still a toss-up.

The decision to chip is not as straight-forward as you may believe.
    Last edited by h3g3l; 10-Nov-2010 at 03:00.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Yes, I hope you can find her. Did she have tags? Having an I.D. tag is a good idea. Hopefully, someone will do the right thing and bring her back to you. My golden is 9 years old and she had a tumor removed several weeks ago. We get so attached to our loved ones and it's incredibly difficult to get over their loss. Dogs love you so unconditionally, and have such an innocence about them. I really feel for you.
    I second what dogboy has said!! I hope your dog finds her way back home to you!! Keep us updated, ok!! I'll keep you in my thoughts, as you deal with the loss of your dog, kitsiulla!!