Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Old 20GB Ipod (4th Gen)?

Default What to do with Old 20GB Ipod (4th Gen)?

I have a 80gb classic and a 3g iphone along with my psp and this old ipod.. I really dont know what to do with this old thing...it works but the battery is weak so yeah any tips on what to do with it? Selling it is out of the question (It was a Gift from my Dad) So yeah.....

Butterfly Mage

Reformat it and use it as removable storage for your computer.

There is a Linux distro that can be put on them. It may be fun to mess around with it if your in to Linux.

iPod-Linux Installer

I used to buy iPods and fix them, but now there isn't really any money in it. FleaBay is full of broken ones, but most of them have already been scavenged for parts and then sold as "I don't know whats wrong with it".

The old iPods are pretty much worthless now. They only sell for $25-$50 depending on condition so your better off using it for something anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyDoggy View Post
    There is a Linux distro that can be put on them. It may be fun to mess around with it if your in to Linux.

iPod-Linux Installer

I used to buy iPods and fix them, but now there isn't really any money in it. FleaBay is full of broken ones, but most of them have already been scavenged for parts and then sold as "I don't know whats wrong with it".

The old iPods are pretty much worthless now. They only sell for $25-$50 depending on condition so your better off using it for something anyway.
    I'd install the Linux thing But well what purpose does it do? I mean a few games seems like much of a hassle..... But thanks for the recommendation looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    Reformat it and use it as removable storage for your computer.
    I'd rather not I have a 80GB portable HDD and a number of other removable media so that's meh....

Replace the battery, and get the microphone for it. Then you can use it to spy on people. The battery on those is so easy to replace a ten year old kid could do it. Plus they're cheap as dirt at like $6.00 shipped with the free tools included.

You could always give it to a friend that doesn't have one. I'm pretty sure your dad would understand since you already have a newer one.

If I kept every gift I ever received, my house would look like a house from the hoarders show. The only excepting to that would be things my mom gave me before she passed away, and even some of those things have found new homes.

Replace the battery, and get the microphone for it. Then you can use it to spy on people. The battery on those is so easy to replace a ten year old kid could do it. Plus they're cheap as dirt at like $6.00 shipped with the free tools included.

You could always give it to a friend that doesn't have one. I'm pretty sure your dad would understand since you already have a newer one.

If I kept every gift I ever received, my house would look like a house from the hoarders show. The only excepting to that would be things my mom gave me before she passed away, and even some of those things have found new homes.
    I've replaced the battery but sometimes it doesn't work right. (Did it to my sisters Ipod) the battery is Decent still Will hold a charge for hours (beter thne my damn Iphone) XD but yeah overall I want to keep this because my dad went trough a lot to get this Ipod for me ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by dragsnick View Post
    I've replaced the battery but sometimes it doesn't work right. (Did it to my sisters Ipod) the battery is Decent still Will hold a charge for hours (beter thne my damn Iphone) XD but yeah overall I want to keep this because my dad went trough a lot to get this Ipod for me ya know?
    You may have gotten a bad battery. I've run in to that many times. They all come from China, and most are poorly constructed, and/or over rated when it comes to run time. You may need to try another one. I have had well over 40 iPods mostly 30GB 5th or 5.5 gen videos, and have gone through many batteries while refurbing them. All tend to vary in battery life and build quality. I even had one battery that caught on fire.

Surprisingly Apple has made improvements to the battery in the iPhone4. I know it's not as good as an old iPod, but it's better than the 3G and 3Gs, and much better than the original first gen.

Yeah, I understand that... I still have a 1.8" handheld color TV from the 90's that was a gift from my mom. It has no inputs, and an analog tuner so it is 100% useless these days, but I keep it because she gave it to me. If you don't know what to do with it, and want to keep it; you can do what I do and just wrap it up to protect it, and put it in a box out of the way for later.

You may have gotten a bad battery. I've run in to that many times. They all come from China, and most are poorly constructed, and/or over rated when it comes to run time. You may need to try another one. I have had well over 40 iPods mostly 30GB 5th or 5.5 gen videos, and have gone through many batteries while refurbing them. All tend to vary in battery life and build quality. I even had one battery that caught on fire.

Surprisingly Apple has made improvements to the battery in the iPhone4. I know it's not as good as an old iPod, but it's better than the 3G and 3Gs, and much better than the original first gen.

Yeah, I understand that... I still have a 1.8" handheld color TV from the 90's that was a gift from my mom. It has no inputs, and an analog tuner so it is 100% useless these days, but I keep it because she gave it to me. If you don't know what to do with it, and want to keep it; you can do what I do and just wrap it up to protect it, and put it in a box out of the way for later.
    Yeah I'm keeping the battery on this thing since it works. (Gonna fully test it out later today) but overall this Ipod is in good shape I think I'll keep it in the car with one of em FM transmitters is there one that works on both the Iphone/Ipod for cheap? Cuz as it stands it's the most logical thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by dragsnick View Post
    Yeah I'm keeping the battery on this thing since it works. (Gonna fully test it out later today) but overall this Ipod is in good shape I think I'll keep it in the car with one of em FM transmitters is there one that works on both the Iphone/Ipod for cheap? Cuz as it stands it's the most logical thing to do.
    Yeah, You can do that. There are several transmitters that work on all iPods. If you get the one that plugs in to the earphone jack. The ones that plug in to the dock connector will pass audio, but may not charge the new iPods or iPhone. There is an adapter for that too called a "Passport". I actually have a car stereo that has built in iPod control. I picked up an 120GB iPod Classic broken on eBay about a year ago, fixed it, and just fill it with music and leave it connected in the glove box. It only comes out to get new songs.

Will ipods play wave files? If so take out your album collection and rip in bit accurate waves on your PC and then transfer them to the iPod so you can have some good quality music to listen on the go. You'll wonder how you ever got by with compressed, piece of a** formats once you hear audio all prettyful and uncompressed.