Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Babytalk? C'mon people.

Default Babytalk? C'mon people.

I'm just gonna come right out and say it. I don't know if anyone else finds this annoying but all this baby talk and absolutely horrible spelling needs to stop. Would it kill you to use a period even? Commas? Eh, not so much. All I'm really asking is if you're gonna post at least make it readable. There's a reason little red bars appear under words when you type, educate yourself before you hit that submit button.

Why should I take the time to answer your post when you couldn't take the time to post it proper? Sure you could argue this is a site where we're suppose to support each others tb/ab tendencies but there's such a thing as abusing that role too. Help me want to help you. I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

Yea, proper grammar helps a ton on forums. I think we have a rule against this anyways.

Miku

FINALLY~! Its about time someone comes out and does a thread on this x3 I agree 100%. No. Wait. 110%!

I do under stand your point. I do have a spelling and grammar problem and I'm taking a class for it but I'm still having a hard time with it. I am trying my bast

Quote Originally Posted by matt1989 View Post
    I do under stand your point. I do have a spelling and grammar problem and I'm taking a class for it but I'm still having a hard time with it. I am trying my bast
    That's great and all that you think you understand my point but what would really be impressive is using it to your advantage. Like I said, those red little bars appear for a reason. It takes little effort to open a new tab up and type the word that is in the process of being slaughtered. Not only that but you teach yourself at the same time. A win win situation, how could you not want that?

OK I do need to pot a little moor time In what I am spelling.

Spell check bars often distort the meaning of things that could be understood phonetically. So that is not entirely correct.

I have a friend who spells on a similar order to matt's spelling just because he is not good at written English. He just writes everything out like it sounds and it takes you a few extra seconds to understand what he is trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by statik View Post
    That's great and all that you think you understand my point but what would really be impressive is using it to your advantage. Like I said, those red little bars appear for a reason. It takes little effort to open a new tab up and type the word that is in the process of being slaughtered. Not only that but you teach yourself at the same time. A win win situation, how could you not want that?
    *brofist* This. I still have trouble spelling big words in the morning, but if the little red squiggly appears and I'm not using slang, I just right click on it and get the word. Of course, there are people who have problems spelling, and just googling will help a shit-ton. If the definition of the word you put doesn't equal the meaning of what you want to say, then try again with another spelling. Mentally check it off and go.

I understand that some people don't have nearly the vast amount of neural connections that I developed, but with hard work, learning from mistakes is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by kwis View Post
    Spell check bars often distort the meaning of things that could be understood phonetically. So that is not entirely correct.

I have a friend who spells on a similar order to matt's spelling just because he is not good at written English. He just writes everything out like it sounds and it takes you a few extra seconds to understand what he is trying to say.
    This is what I mean to say. I have a friend with a hearing issue who types in a similar way because vowels sound the same a lot of the time. We're all taught to 'sound out a word' if we don't know how to spell it, but for some people with (even slight) hearing difficulties, that can be confusing.

To anybody with grammar/spelling issues, my PM box is always open. I had some difficulties as a child due to growing up bilingual, so I can greatly emphasize.

Although fundamentally I agree with what you're saying, statik, if you go through what Matt's written you'll see that not a single word of it is actually spelled incorrectly.

This is where the spelling tools available online let us all down. It is a real word, just not the word we want it to be.

To be honest, as long as it's readable then maybe we ought to be the ones being a little more understanding? I'm perfectly happy to take a few minutes extra to read a post if it means that someone who would otherwise be ignored can get a response. Remember, people are coming here from ALL backgrounds, languages and abilities, and it's our job to make sure these people are welcomed and guided. Making threads like this is just more likely to make people with less than perfect English not post, and not get the support they deserve.

And I think we can all agree that that just sucks.

I know when I first joined here if someone had sent me away for not always being able to spell properly then my life would be totally different that it is now. I'd have missed out on meeting Charlie, and all the other wonderful wonderful people I've met here. Although I don't need much support on the AB side of things, this site is definitely my support network.

I don't think we should be taking that away from people who need it, regardless of their abilities.

thank you Talul. I am happy that you said that.