Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic vs Clothlike

Default Plastic vs Clothlike

I've tried both and here is what I think...

Plastic is the standard when it comes to adult diapers. It could be the feel or the crinkle sound that we like about them. Children of the 90s like myself may remember the clothlike kind. This kind does not replace the plastic but is fused over it. Many manufacturers advertise them as being "Breathable" or "Air Plus". While costing a bit more, they do seem to be more comfortable in hot weather. Some believe that they offer less protection, but this is often not the case. I got a bag of Abena X-Plus Airplus a few months ago for their nostalgic quality. They really did feel like those 90s diapers.

But plastic is a few dollars less and most are aroused by the look and feel of it. I like plastic too, but what are you're thoughts? Which do you think is better in any way or situation?

Heya ScienceDog! Before posting a thread like this, you should go make an introduction in the intro section!

On a note pertaining to this topic, I really like both kinds; though the plastic kinds tend to leak less.

crazykittensmile

My favourite nappies are all plastic backed, but only because the most absorbent brands of nappies readily available in the UK (Tena Slip Maxi, Abena X-Plus, Molicaire Super) are all plastic backed. The cloth-backed nappies I have tried have generally been more prone to leaks, but they have also been listed as having a lower capacity. I much prefer the feel of cloth-backed nappies, they are more comfortable, less noisy and more like real baby nappies. If any of the premium nappies were to become cloth-backed without the absorbency being compromised I would be very happy and would certainly buy them over plastic-backed nappies.

Quote Originally Posted by babyjess View Post
    [...] Tena Slip Maxi [...] If any of the premium nappies were to become cloth-backed without the absorbency being compromised I would be very happy and would certainly buy them over plastic-backed nappies.
    I've heard various rumours that Tena is switching their Slip line to cloth-backed, or well, atleast here in the Netherlands so I think it'll just be a matter of time.

As for the question; I don't really have any particular preference but I do like how cloth-backed diapers are less noisy which makes them very suited to wear outside.

crazykittensmile

Quote Originally Posted by R1214 View Post
    I've heard various rumours that Tena is switching their Slip line to cloth-backed, or well, atleast here in the Netherlands so I think it'll just be a matter of time.
    Ooh! Well if they do, and the fit or absorbency isn't altered, I will be very excited I like the Tena Flex range as they are cloth backed, but their velcro-belt system just doesn't get a good enough fit to prevent leaks adequately enough.

I have been wearing Tena flex nappies/diapers for quite a few years now. When i first started wearing them they were plastic backed, & were blue green & white if my memory serves me right. The switch to cloth backed covers was 2003/4 & they have carried out various improvements since they first came out. I was over the moon to find they had made them now with a soft cotton cover, a nappy/diaper that was comfortable to wear, easier to change & above all quiet & discreet for the wearer. I have to agree that when compared to the slip the absorbancy can be a little disapointing at times. I am not sure if the construction/Materials are different between the two, it would be interesting to know ?. I have often noticed with the flex that instead of allowing the wetness to travel down the length of the nappy/diaper it stays in the same area. The slip however the wetness is spread reasonably throughout. The only other glitch & i would assume it would go with any cloth backed nappy/diaper is they do tend to wick into the cotton cover if they become over wet. As a general rule of thumb(Tenaflex only) if i can see that the blue indicator has travelled more than 2-4inches looking from the back i change at that point to prevent this happening. I would imagine the purists will not be happy if all the plastic backed nappies/diapers go the same way

My rap on cloth-like is that they stretch more and loosen because of that. I wear a onesie with them. Too, I like to wear a lined plastic pant over my diapers for extra security, and the cloth-like breathe enough that the outer-pant liner gets wet, so I have to change those pants more frequently. Cloth-like are more comfortable, however.
    When all is said and done, I generally prefer plastic covered. I like the feel of the plastic and the hassle-factor is somewhat lower.

crazykittensmile

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I have to agree that when compared to the slip the absorbancy can be a little disapointing at times. I am not sure if the construction/Materials are different between the two, it would be interesting to know ?. I have often noticed with the flex that instead of allowing the wetness to travel down the length of the nappy/diaper it stays in the same area. The slip however the wetness is spread reasonably throughout.
    This is the issue I had with them. Being used to the Tena Slips, which wick and let wetness spread to the front and back really well, I assumed that the flex would wick in the same way. So I assumed that as the back of the nappy was still dry I would be fine to wet again. Instead the nappy just leaked, and indeed when I changed it the back was bone dry. The slips rarely leak for me unless they are full to capacity. I assume that, aside from the shape of the padding (the slip being hour-glass shaped whilst the flex is just a long strip) there must be a difference in the sap/pulp ratio or something which stops the flex from wicking properly. It is a shame because I find the flex much more comfortable and I like the softness of the cloth, but I hate to have to change a nappy when parts of it are still dry and I hate leaks, so I don't see myself buying any more. If the tena slip do change to cloth backed I hope they keep everything else the same so that they continue to wick nicely.

I personally prefer cloth-like disposables to plastic-backed. They are softer against the skin and are more comfortable to wear, IMO.

It varies... cloth is comfy... but plastic and its crinklyness makes me blush and its kind of a fun feeling of its own... honnestly i wear cruisers during the day and babmino biacas at night and im happy. *shrugs* nuff said :P