Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really Nervous

Default Really Nervous

I'm really freaking nervous right now. I'm seeing a therapist today, and I am afraid she's gonna think I'm crazy or something. I know this is something that probably won't happen, but I'm still scared out of my mind about it. Any suggestions to calm me down? Not going is not an option, I want to go. It will help me with everything, but at the same time I'm scared to go. Conflicting emotions are a pain the ass. Any way, any suggestions?

Butterfly Mage

Most therapists don't think in terms of "crazy" and "not crazy". The spectrum of mental health is very, very wide and has an incredible number of variables.

Still, I feel like I'm gonna fall on the wrong side of the spectrum. That I'm going to tell her everything, and when I think she is going to help me, she deems me as "a danger to oneself of others" and lock me up or something.

If you feel she might railroad you the best thing is to keep quiet.

The problem is, I need to see a therapist. I have some problems that I hope to resolve, but I'm still afraid to go through with it.

Quote Originally Posted by clothplasticpantsboy View Post
    This is my answer too, as plasticpantsboy says. keep it simple and start at the beginning, they often ask very simple questions to see how your mind works. Go easy on how you answer a question if you feel that your answer might make you look crazy.
    There might be a few visits needed.

Ok, I found out I'm going at 4:30.....3 more hours to be paranoid and worry.....fun. I know it won't all happen in one session. I'm gonna answer carefully, like you guys said. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by clothplasticpantsboy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    Ok, I found out I'm going at 4:30.....3 more hours to be paranoid and worry.....fun. I know it won't all happen in one session. I'm gonna answer carefully, like you guys said. Thanks for the help.
    Honestly, therapists exist to help people, not lock them up. Unless you've murdered someone or burned down a school, you shouldn't have to be afraid of telling her how you've been feeling, what's bothered you, etc. You have shared with us that you've been through a lot lately; a therapist can help you through it.

Hope it all works out!

There is no absolute definition of wrong, and that's even more true when it comes to the mental spectrum. It varies between people, however.
    A therapist should have an open mind, I would think, and be willing to understand and not let their views conflict with whatever you do.
    If you think she'll say you're crazy, you have to ask yourself first if you think you're crazy. If you don't, then just look over your actions or words to see what you think others think of as crazy.

Therapists aren't/shouldn't be there to say you're wrong or insane. They're supposed to be there to help you understand what's going on in your life and why you do the things you do or act a certain way.

I hope it wen't well!
    First you need to develop some trust with your therapist, then don't hold back. Once you trust your Dr. and can discuss anything it reallr starts to work.
    BTW it took many years to tell mine about the DL thing.

Best of luck on a long but worthwile road.